Damp testers

Mike P

I'm looking to get a damp test meter that doesn't require probes being stuck into the surface of the fabric. I remember a fairly recent dialogue between Terrytraveller & Basil but I'm not sure whether the instruments mentioned were "non-invasive"

Can either of you two guys (or anyone else) help please?

Mike P

Hi Mike,

I bought my moisture meter about 7 years ago, it cost around £130 then I think, it is an inductive device. An inductive one is better as it looks through the surface to about 1" below.

Using it on a new caravan I bought, saved me around £1500 on three repairs as I could detect damp in the walls, the dealer using a spikey type mosture meter couldn't find the damp with his meter.

I tested mine out using a few pieces of ply of varying thicknesses, adding moisture at varying depths, and noting the percentages and what they meant in practical terms.

Have a look at screwfix web, they have one on there for £12.99 and looks like its inductive, others - professional ones are at pro prices I note, some are still in the £200+ range, I can't see why they should be so expensive in this day and age.

Regards Terry

The pinless ones are quite expensive, so it could be worth having a look at these criteria before splashing out.

http://www.electrophysics.co.uk/pin-or-pinless.htm

I have seen a better site which explains more clearly how they work, but can't find it just now. I wanted one for woodworking, but couldn't justify the expense of a pinless job - no first hand experience therefore.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Mike,

The one that I prefer and was the subject of my post in the thread you have mentioned is the Rapitest DTM118.

It depends what you mean by 'invasive' as I believe you will find all damp meters work by measuring the resistance accross a material thereby giving a measure of the water content and as such must make physical contact with the material. The DTM118 has a small plug like two prong testing tip that does mean you have to push this into the material to be tested however it only makes two tiny pinprick holes that are invisible when the tool is removed (except to you because you know it is there!).

The only part of our van that I have a problem with is the headlining as it is made from PVC covered foam back material that makes it impossible to check the ceiling all over so I have to make do with measurements at edges and joins, however this seems to be sufficient so far!

Bas

P.S. Obviously from the cross posts there are pinless ones so maybe that will do the job you want. The DTM 118 costs around £14 on the net prices.

P.P.S. The Screwfix (Draper) one I believe you will find is like another that I have and is a pin type, there is a cover over the end that you pull off and exposes the pins, not easy to use as you can't get into tight areas and I don't find audible signals a very good determination of the extent of damp.

Terrytraveller - 2007-08-31 9:39 AM

Have a look at screwfix web, they have one on there for £12.99 and looks like its inductive,

You beat me to it Terry, but have obviously asked similar questions and done the checks.

Do you think the Screwfix one can possibly be any good at that price? The difference is so great that you can't help being a bit suspicious.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

It must have limitations at that price I would think, its so cheap it would be worth buying and testing out with a few bits of wood, to see what its trying to tell you. My guess is the tone will alter as the percentage of water content increases.

Even with the proper job ones - you need to check the type of wood under test, a little manual supplied with mine, has varying moisture percentage graphs for different wood under test.

They are useful for detecting hidden ironwork (metal brackets) and wiring found in the MH or around the house. It will also detect money in peoples pockets, should they say they left theirs at home when its their time to pay for a round.

Regards Terry

Terrytraveller - 2007-08-31 9:55 AM

It will also detect money in peoples pockets, should they say they left theirs at home when its their time to pay for a round.

Regards Terry

Love it Terry, but don't the moths and undisturbed pocket fluff affect the reading?

Stop it Dave - wandering off-topic again!!

I recently forked out £232 for a Protimeter Aquant pinless meter and have found it to be highly efficient - as it should be at this price. However, it has already paid for itself as I was able to prove that Chelstons own pin meter, which has left a line of tell-tale holes across our roof interior, was duff and long awaited repairs were able to proceed.

Terrytraveller - 2007-08-31 9:55 AM It will also detect money in peoples pockets, should they say they left theirs at home when its their time to pay for a round. Regards Terry

So you take it to the pub do you?  If you keep it in your pocket, does it also tell you when to visit the little boys room?  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived