3 way fridge

Guest Ikrainian

3 way fridge  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Ikrainian
Hi there.I have searched the forum and can't find what i am after. The fridge in our van does not seem to work on occasions although all the lights are on or alternatively the gas is on and working.Although i am quite a seasoned campaigner this sems to get the better of me. If we are on a dead level site everything normally seems ok and i do realise that being level is required when on gas.Has anybody any ideas? we only ever stay on the continent during the summer months and the temperature does not seem to be an issue.

Is your van fridge fitted with a fan on the condenser to aid cooling. There should be a switch on the fridge to operate it on auto or manual and make sure the power is on on the control panel or it won't work. you should be able to hear it running as it makes quite a racket.

Can you clarify what you mean by "not working"?  Do you mean that the fridge sometimes does not cool when running on gas, but at other times it does?  If so, does it cool when on 220V mains, and does it cool when on the 12V supply with the van engine running? 

If the fault is only on gas, but the fridge works as it should on 220V and 12V, I think the problem may lie with the thermocouple.  This is heated in the gas flame and maintains the gas valve open, so ensuring the gas supply to the burner.  It may be that the fridge just needs servicing, to ensure the gas jet is clear, the flame forming correctly, and the thermocouple correctly located, or it may be that the thermocouple needs to be replaced.  Neither should be that expensive. 

If you're anywhere near Telford, our very own Dave Newell may be able to help with the service etc.  I expect he'll say if he doesn't do fridge repairs, but I know he does do habitation services, which include fridges.

If the fridge works OK on any one of its three power sources (gas, 12v or mains) then the basic absorbtion system is working fine.

The three alternative power sources only put in something between 100 and 180 watts of heat (depending on the size of the fridge) to make the fridge work.

If you have ice forming on the inside of the ice box then its working.

If the ice box remains tepid then its not working.

The optional cooling fan should be very quiet. They are not that common. If its noisy then its not one supplied by Dometic who use brushless DC fans!

If you can say which power source doesnt work then we can advise you further.

C.

Guest Ikrainian

Hi there

Sorry i could not reply but i have been away for a few days.....thanks for the people taking the time to reply to me....I am going to have a good look at the fridge and come back to you..it does have one switch next to the 12 volt one which does not light up but i always turn it on with it, but i am beggered if i know what it does. I will post again and tell you the model and try and be a bit more spcific...........i can say though it does not have a winter grill on..........Regards

Archived