On site battery charging by own engine

Charlieme

On a site with no hook-up

Suggestions to achieve best top up capacity, (new vehicle no problems)

The leisure batteries lasts app 2.5 days without damage.

When charging by running engine, is the maximum charge rate achieved by (a) leaving on tick over app 500rpm (b) running faster app1000 rpm ?

Running for 30 mins on tick over gained only a few points.

I could carry a generator (and will run some tests) but why do this when there's an engine already available?

Running your engine to charge your leisure battery is probably the most innefficient way to do it. You will need to run the engine at a fast tickover, say 1000 to 1500 rpm for quite a while to gain any significant charge, certainly half an hour plus. I would think it will make you even more unpopular with your fellow campers than using a genny. Have you considered solar panels?

D.

Or more battery capacity? A couple of well conditioned 100Ah batteries will see you with several days’ autonomy, especially if you use low draw equipment like LED lights and a small LCD TV etc.

Sites with no hook-up tend to be populated by lovers of peace and quiet - it just takes one selfish ignoramus with a generator to impinge upon the enjoyment of the considerate.

Yes I'm well aware of the noise issue!

We went to a vehicle rally recently (Aberdeen) and had to move away from a noisy generator. The owner had a twin axle caravan towed by a big 4x4 running a big screen TV!!

I had thought of a solar panel but comments were not too favourable in recent messages

Solar panels do have uses for some, but you really have to be in the stay-in-one-place-for-more-than-a-week brigade to really reap the benefits.

I have 2x100Ah leisure batteries and also use the Starter battery for small recharging jobs (mobile phone etc). With the LEDs and 10.7" LCD TV I have managed for 4 consecutive days in the depths of winter (with profligate use of the blown air heating), and 7 days in summer without dropping to damaging levels of discharge. I have luxuries like a built in 12V DVD player etc. but steer clear of (inefficient) inverters.

With a decent battery bank and the careful choice of equipment, you really don't need to complicate your life with charging gadgets.

If you are the type that insist on running a tumble dryer and a 3Kw fan heater, you'd probably be best heading for fully serviced sites anyway.

Hi Bill,

We have one 80 watt solar panel mounted on the roof charging two 110 amp leisure batteries. We hardly ever stay on sites with electicity and are away for two months at a time. We found one 110 amp battery with the solar panel was okay for April, May and June, by about 10am the battery was fully charged and we were throwing electricity away (the radio makes a loud screeching sound, when placed near the solar regulator with the battery fully charged!).

We found that our second two month trip in europe during Sept and Oct ran down the single battery even with the solar panel, so we bought another 110 amp battery and put in parallel, that now gives us plenty of power.

We usually have the sat receiver on all day with a small tv (80 mA) used as a radio, with a 15" LCD on for about 5 hrs in the evening. Of course all the other electrical systems have a small demand too. The heating is by gas convector heating P3002 (no electrical usage there), we don't often have the blower on, except when its hot! in the summer.

If you had Eberspacher (oil) heating system, we had one in the last MH, they do use alot of electrons, so you might be pushed to get enough amps.

Regards Terry

Terry has summed it up well. We also have an 80 watt panel and it is very capable of sustaining us indefinately during the summer, including running my ham radio gear. But if you have a diesel heater then you will have problems keeping up with its electrical demands.

If you run your engine for long periods or have a generator PLEASE use different camp sites to me.

However charging off the engine at fast tickover is reasonably effective if the cabling between the vehicle alternator through the split charge relay and fuse to the leisure battery is massive. Its not the current rating of the cable thats important its the voltage drop that makes the difference.

But if you are charging at 10 amps then it will take 11 hours to charge a 110 ampere hour battery if it were flat and the charging regime perfect - which they are not.

30 minutes at 10 amps is only 5 ampere hours put into the battery to put things into perspective.

Solar panels do work.

Clives 5 ampre hours sounds about right in the half hour I ran the engine.

I certainly would'nt run the engine or any generator if it were at all a nuisance.

This week it was at the Dorset Steam Fair, several others were running generators so I joined in with them for a mid morning session, it was a noisy steam and fair event where most would accept a little nuisance

I'll go for the 80w solar panel as several have suggested. We have 2x110 leisure batteries and tend to use field sites often.

PS The picture was London Zoo 1936, thought you'd like to know that !

Terry and Clive,

I want to believe, I really do, but I can't help think that they are a feel-good accessory with limited practical use. In Terry’s case, given the morning sun’s angle and an 80w panel, to be fully charged by 10am suggests to me that virtually nothing had been drawn the previous evening?

I absolutely accept that anyone with inefficient onboard equipment, or heavy use requirements; or who sets up a camp away from mains for a week or more, just may be able to justify the outlay for a huge array; and in such cases the bigger the better.

But, and this is the clincher for me, when you are most likely to need them, i.e. when it’s cold, dark, and raining, they are virtually useless. When you are least likely to need them, i.e. when it’s sunny and warm and the days are long, all they do is cook your batteries or dissipate loads of heat energy if you have a good management system.

I’m glad you’re happy with them but I remain convinced that the huge majority of users would have almost as much autonomy had they saved themselves several hundred pounds and not drilled holes through their bodywork.

I’m into sustainable energy, but I won’t be buying solar panels. Sorry.

Guest caraprof

I was on a C & CC site in Northumberland recently, which overlooks the sea and consequently has the benefit of good breezes.

There was a chap in a largish motorhome and he told me that he lived in it most of the summer without EHU.

He'd a large solar panel on the roof but he also had a small wind turbine, which was on a pole attached to the side of the vehicle.

Seemed like a good idea to me, when it was fairly bright he was getting solar power and when it was windy his turbine was absolutely whizzing round.

I had a battery to battery charger fitted to my new elegance so i could do away with the genny. I have only ran my battery low about 3 times on my last m/h and this was in the winter at night when heating was on, so solar panels no good to me. with the b, to b charger I should be able to put a high ampage into my battery in an emergency, any comments?

The solar / wind generator combination is exactly what I used on my narrowboat and it does work a treat. Especially as the wind turbine works through the night and particularly comes into its own during late autumn and winter. Again though, you really need to want to moor up in the middle of nowhere for a couple of weeks before this technology start to earn its corn. Loads of boat owners have such gadgets fitted and never leave the safety of their orange umbilical cord.

The battery to battery charger idea is one that I’ve contemplated several times but I’ve always baulked at the prospect of popping sensitive electronics in my alternator, or on-board split charger. 

They seem to me to be a super way of getting the most charge for a short trip out in the ‘van and I too would love to hear what any of the experts like Terry, Clive, Dave et al think of them. 

Any thoughts or experience anyone?

I've yet to be convinced of the benefits of a B2B charger unit. We have a single 110AH battery and after three nights away at shows with no solar or auxiliary charging it is, at a rough guess, down to about 50% capacity. Surprisingly enough a two hour drive home will generally see it showing as fully charged. How do I know? Well when we get home we unload the 'van then I take it to my workshop and park it up. The next day I'll connect the hookup and switch on the on board charger which is a CTEK intelligent three stage job, it goes straight to maintenance mode and the indicator lights show full. I've also checked it with a good quality voltmeter 24 hours after arriving home with no charging other than when driving and it reads at 12.9 Volts which is as close to fully charged as you'll get after 24 hours.

D.

Thanks Crinkly, I try to stick with genuinely useful accessories although at Malvern last month we started to turn into the type of campers we've been trying to avoid. We bought a sunscreen for the wind out awning, it slides into the slot along the outer edge and then pegs down to the ground. It wasn't till we were breaking camp on the Sunday morning that I realised what had happened. With the windbreak, CADAC, sunscreen, awning, chairs et al to put away it was nearly 45 minutes before we were ready to roll.:$ It used to only take five minutes to break camp!

D.

P.S. sorry for going OT.

Archived