European Data for TV etc

I know this topic has been covered but I have just been to France and Spain for a month and used IQMobile  with a 100Gb data card for £20.  I use this in an old Samsung S7 phone as a hotspot and NordVPN and this has been faultless. I dont know if this is the cheapest but it is the easiest for me. I set it up in the UK with an activation date of my choosing and it was perfect , no buffering etc.. www.helloiq.co.uk

I think you don’t actually need to use a VPN (unless you want to, of course.). Because IQMobile is a Uk-based service, you don’t need to “fool” the TV service that you’re in the UK.

I agree about IQMobile though - extremely flexible provision, if your data runs out within the month it’s simple to buy extra.  I think there are cheaper options, particularly if you buy local SIMs in France or Spain, but then you do need a VPN.

We are due to go to Belgium in September and (pre Brexit) used our EE SIM cards in two iPhones and a motorhomewifi with a Roku box for TV.

All this worked well then but EE now want about £2.50 a day or £25 for a month if I use them when roaming in Europe but I believe I can get the same as my UK package - unlimited calls, texts and data.

As it’s a UK sim would I need to use a VPN?

David

On 09/07/2024 at 07:37, Solwaybuggier said:

I think you don’t actually need to use a VPN (unless you want to, of course.). Because IQMobile is a Uk-based service, you don’t need to “fool” the TV service that you’re in the UK.

I agree about IQMobile though - extremely flexible provision, if your data runs out within the month it’s simple to buy extra.  I think there are cheaper options, particularly if you buy local SIMs in France or Spain, but then you do need a VPN.

Not sure about the vpn. I accidentally turned mine off and itv immediately said it recognized I was outside the uk and would'nt broadcast. In France  I asked in a Bouygues Telecom shop and she quoted me 20 euros for 30Gb so I topped up my IQMobile sim with 100Gb for £20..

OK .... Can someone please explain to me in 3 year old terms how this works? I'm 74 and not totally useless (I used to write basic programmes for my BBC Micro), but have never used or understood the full potential of these smartphones) 

So .....

I buy a 100Gb data card from IQMobile and put in in my Samsung S10+ or would it work in my old Galaxy A3? Is the data card a SIM card and goes in the SIM card slot? What happens to my existing Giff Gaff Sim?

How do I then set up my phone as a HotSpot, and where would I put a VPN if I needed one?

Jeremy

Jeremy,

keeping it short. The card is a SIM card. Unless you have a dual-SIM device/phone, you'd need to replace the/any existing SIM. (A dual SIM phone would allow you to mount both, and nominate which to use for data/calls, etc).

It should (subject to appropriate SIM form factor) work in either of those 'phones (though I'd want the Galaxy to be the 4G capable model).

A phone can be set up as a hotspot in phone "Settings" (nominally under "Network and Internet", though it varies). This allows you to nominate a Network ID and password that can be used by other devices (appearing like WiFi), sharing the data connection. Note, not all SIM providers allow such "tethering".

The VPN is enabled by downloading to the phone and configuring an app from the VPN supplier. There may be charges associated with VPN subscriptions.

2 hours ago, Robinhood said:

Jeremy,

keeping it short. The card is a SIM card. Unless you have a dual-SIM device/phone, you'd need to replace the/any existing SIM. (A dual SIM phone would allow you to mount both, and nominate which to use for data/calls, etc).

It should (subject to appropriate SIM form factor) work in either of those 'phones (though I'd want the Galaxy to be the 4G capable model).

A phone can be set up as a hotspot in phone "Settings" (nominally under "Network and Internet", though it varies). This allows you to nominate a Network ID and password that can be used by other devices (appearing like WiFi), sharing the data connection. Note, not all SIM providers allow such "tethering".

The VPN is enabled by downloading to the phone and configuring an app from the VPN supplier. There may be charges associated with VPN subscriptions.

OK Robin thanks ..... A few more queries to get me clued up .....

So If I do this I can't use my phone (eg S10+) as a phone? (Unless I switch the SIM?)

And I can log in to the Hotspot with my laptop and eg use WhatsApp, surf google maps or read google news etc?

And if I don't want to watch TV I will not need a VP?

And presumably there is a meter associated with the IQmobile SIM to observe usage? 

Jeremy

AFAIK, the IQmobile Sim is data and voice, so with it you can use your device as a 'phone, but with a different number (unless you transfer the number). That's generally OK for outgoing unless someone needs to recognise your number, less convenient for incoming unless you widely publicise it in advance.

Enabling a hotspot (you should be able to do it with your existing phone and Giffgaff sim to test it) simply creates the equivalent of another WiFi network which will work like any WiFi network you log into. (It's possibly worthwhile getting your laptop or whatever to recognise it as a "metered" connection though, which avoids it being used for certain data-heavy background housekeeping tasks). Be aware that a laptop may also be rather heavier on data than carrying out a similar function on a 'phone, as the latter may default to using "mobile" websites).

There are various security advantages in using a VPN, but under discussion here is the need to fool broadcaster's sites into thinking you are in the UK (otherwise content may be blocked). A VPN can make it look like the connection is in the UK, even if you're abroad. If you don't already use a VPN for other reasons, and aren't intending to use UK streaming services (iPlayer etc.) then you wouldn't need one. (I've just looked on their site, and it states that, as it's a UK sim, you don't need one to use iPlayer, etc. anyway).

Not sure how you track usage as I'm not a customer, but I'd think there must be a method.

(BTW, on perusing their website I've come across the IQ Go option, which looks at first sight very interesting for the likes of us. I shall be reading that at some greater depth).

BTW, the s10+ did come in either a single or dual-sim configuration. It's worth checking whether you've got the latter (no more than 50/50 at best, but it would possibly provide all the options you seem to want if you have).

Edited by Robinhood
Addition

Excellent Robin ... thanks! I have checked and yes the S10+ is a double SIM. There is a downside though as you cannot use 2 SIMs AND a memory card. I use the memory card to store all photos, so that wouldn't be available. By and large though with a bit of management there is enough phone memory to store photos for one trip, so this may be an answer for us. I think the IQ Go is what the OP was talking about ..... ?

Jeremy

PS I've checked and the A3 is a 4g Model, so maybe I'll use that for the Hotspot? (I use it on my motorbike with no SIM as a Sat Nav using N avigator)

Edited by laimeduck

I recently moved photos and other data from the SDcard in order to go dual sim on holiday in Canada. If you do that, make sure you change all "save" options back to main storage first, or you might find yourself snookered. Google maps was an issue for me, as it wouldn't function properly until I re-inserted the SD card, deleted the offline maps and changed the save location back to main storage.

There are merits in both approaches - if you have the (max 5GB EU) data allowance on the main 'phone, using the reserve 'phone as a hotspot for data tasks (especially on-site) might be sufficient. OTOH, if you go dual sim on a single 'phone, you have full capability even away from the 'van with only one 'phone. 

In the EU, when dual-sim I think it makes sense to set call preference to your existing sim (it's the preference for outgoing calls), and data preference (at least most of the time) to the other. (largely because your existing sim is ok for calls in the EU, mine wasn't in Canada, so I simply used it for incoming).

In the first instance I think I'll try the A3 as the Hotspot. It comes with us when we leave the van anyway as a Sat Nav on the motorbike or electric bikes, so I always have 2 handsets with me. I don't use google maps that often, I have the Yellow Michelin Atlases for France and Spain and MS Autoroute on the laptop and MapFactor Navigator on my phones, so we are well covered.

We are not heavy users  ... don't have or watch TV (unless in a bar!) and don't stream music or films (have an old Sony Ericsson phone which is a MP3 player loaded with our (hard rock!) tunes).

However WIFI connectivity in the van for route/location/restaurant planning would be so much easier without having to rely on Flaky campsite WIFI!

Jeremy

Depends on your usage and time away, but the 5GB EU allowance from GiffGaff generally covers our needs (on two 'phones though) for lightweight use such as you describe. A one-off £10 month will cover that, though all of the £8 4GB is available in the EU)

The TV never goes abroad with us.

The additional SIM was used in Canada as there is no GiffGaff allowance there, and I wanted to use Google Maps (via Android Auto) for our road trip. (It's possible to download the maps and use on-line, but you lose useful things such as real-time traffic etc.)

• Thanks 1

Just to elaborate on this. I use a Samsung S7 and received a physical Sim card from IQMobile. When I want to watch telly or use my laptop I then go into settings and turn the S7 into a hotspot.  I then turn on the wifi on the laptop/firestick etc and pick the Samsung S7 as the wifi supply. Thats it.

When I want to top up the Sim with a data package I buy one from the website and it asks for the sim card no of the sim card which needs topping up. You can the give them an activation date and thats it.

I also used this on a new Samsung phone with a dual sim card slot. You can set calls etc on your existing sim and data on your IQMobile sim. You can then use your existing sim at the same time as your IQMobile sim is being used as a hotspot.

Hope thats not confusing.

• Thanks 1