fridge fans

handyman

Guest JudgeMental

I have the same one , got it from CAK tanks a few years ago. It worked well with last camper. you have a choice to switch from auto (controlled by thermostat) to manual (either on or off)

problem with my new camper is there is not enough room behind grill to fit it and refit the grlll. si I used it this trip by taking of grill cover and just clipping it in place with a 12v lead to spare socket. not ideal particularly if touring, but cold drinks guaranteed.

there is 12v and 230 v supplys at rear of fridge

Small seconhand 12 volt fans which are used for cooling electrical equipment eg computers, can usually be obtained for peanuts. Use in pairs if necessary to acheive adequate air flow.

Easy to fit behind the grill and controlled by a manual switch.

Guest JudgeMental
handyman - 2007-09-03 6:15 PM

what depth do you need behind the grill?

from memory the fans are around 25mm thick. with my model EuraMobil the guts of fan are right against back wall (yours may be different) with last van there was more space allowing me to fit fan at an angle....

Guest JudgeMental
JohnP - 2007-09-03 7:11 PM

Small seconhand 12 volt fans which are used for cooling electrical equipment eg computers, can usually be obtained for peanuts. Use in pairs if necessary to acheive adequate air flow.

Easy to fit behind the grill and controlled by a manual switch.

For sure, 2 x12v fans and a 12v switch much cheaper....

I have a couple of small DC brushless fans fitted to the back of the top grille to expel air from the back of the fridge. BUT now you can purchase an official “ventilator set” from Dometic as an official bit of kit. The Dometic manual says

"The new ventilator set speeds up airflow and cools down the capacitor to ensure maximum fridge performance. It is the only solution that complies with e1 regulations and your performance will even become better Thermostat-controled and noiseless operation on 12 V."

Do I understand "and your performance will even become better" correctly and how do I know its better?

Our Auto 3 way fridge works well on both 240 volts and gas but insists on filling the bottom with water when we are travelling and it is on 12 volts eventhough the freezing compartment remains frozen. This time the water has ingressed into the cutlery draw underneath ruining the front. We now put a cloth to absorb the water inside the fridge now and will hopefully get a replacement front when it goes back for service. Anybody else had this problem

Thanks for that. I checked some time ago and found that there was a bung in the tube. Removed that but as the design of the fridge is so bad the water won't go down it unless small groove is nearly full. Obviously when we are on the move it spills over and drops into the bottom of the fridge. Solved problem with bits of cloth to soak it up but it shouldn't defrost anyway!!!!

Hi again John,

From what I understand the performance is not as good on 12 volts as it is on mains or gas. However it should be enough to keep it frozen and stop defrosting as you say. Have you checked the 12 volts system actually works. You should still be able to feel heat coming out of the vents. If after a drive you don't then I would suspect the 12 volt supply. You could also try checking the fuse if one is fitted (normally is) in the habitation fuse panel. The drain pipe from teh chanel should drain quickly without it filling up. Possibly the pipe athe back does not go straight down to the evaporating container, but worth pushing a flexible wire through it carefully to check,

Jon.

Thanks Brambles.

Yes have checked fuse and power to fridge and all is working correctly. The freeze box stays frozen on 12 volts. We do get water down the tube eventually if we stay still long enough! Really think it is down to poor design.

Archived