Is this typical motorhomiing?

armstrongpiper

After nearly 40 years tugging, my wife and I swapped to a Motorhome last year. In the 18months of ownership we have had -

A total of 3 months when the 'van was unusable because of gross water leakage in the Luton, repairs following a Tractor Bite, and refurbishmemt of the habitation area seats upholstery which was coming apart (yes in 18 months normal usage).

Leaky fresh water tank, which still leaks and is awaiting a new one (so far 4 weeks on order and not with the dealer yet) Original leak started after fitting of replacement level indicator probe.

Cracked handbasin in the washroom, now replaced.

Bike rack, fitted by Dealer, came adrift. Loose screws luckily noticed on overnight stop. Scews now locked in with suitable 'Goo', but surprised that bolts through body hadn't been used. Dealer said it is 'Normal to use screws, and was surprised they had come loose!!!'.

Cab Aircon failed and took 12 days in France to for Peugeot Garage to get bits to fix it.

Numerous other niggles like Kitchen cupboard door not fitted correctly on delivery, entrance step buzzer failed, gas pipe to BBQ point leak inside cupboard, etc etc etc.

In 18 months of ownership, the vehicle has hardly ever been without a fault awaiting a conveniient time to get it fixed. We have enjoyed using the 'Van, but have not enjoyed the hassles of owning it.

So, the question is - Are these typical experienced in owning a Motorhome and if we decide to get rid of it and buy a different make, will it all be repeated?

Sorry for the long moan and thanks for reading through it.

Neil B

Neil,

Sorry you have had no luck I think sometimes one would say that one has been built on a Monday its the luck of the draw. I do feel sorry for you we are not without problems also but we have over come and I am glad because we certainly enjoy this way of life and would never go back.

You do not say what type of M/H it is but one consolation is it could of been a Caravan or a car its not because its a M/H . Anyway i wish you well with getting it mended dont let that put you off.

Guest JudgeMental

bike rack should either be through wall and plated or fixed to internal frame.

sounds like some of your fixings have missed frame and are just in the soft insulation - not good at all.

experienced fitters will know where to fix or use a electronic sniffer to find frame (same as builders use to find fixings in stud walls) you can do this yourself with your knuckle taping along in a straight line and listening to the changes in tone...

as for general quality, I feel happier with European manufacturers.

Neil B. I think you have really got the short straw with your m 'home. We bought one in 1997 and kept it until January this year when we changed it for a new model. In all that time it never saw the inside of a repair workshop other than for annual service and M.O.T. The M'home had cycle rack, roof rack fitted at time of purchase and we never suffered a loose screw, let alone a leak. I feel you have been terribly unfortunate in what has happend to yours and I think it is definately not typical of owning a m'home!!

Hang on in there with motorhoming, though, as it is absolutly super!!

Regards, Mike & Cherry

Guest starspirit

In over 30 thirty years at it (motor homing too) I reckon the newer they are the more aggro they are and the more they cost to put right.

In my experience by far the best made vans were the Auto Sleepers one piece fibreglass bodied vans of the eighties and nineties where in 15 years of ownership I never had a single bit attributable to Auto Sleepers fail.

Peugeot, Electrolux (Dometic), Truma, Carver, Whale, et al all seemed better made, more durable and easier to fix DIY in them there good old days.

Or is it just me - do I have over sensitive ears - do I expect too much?

Current Auto Trail Tracker is a nice van but ye gods does it rattle on poor roads.

Bad loading or poor quality control?

I know what I think!

Never mind one by one we are cracking the culprits from fridge shelves, blinds, door step, bed mechanism, cooker, cooker, cooker, fridge mounting, overhead cupboard doors, caravan door, awning mountings and blind and just about every other movable and non movable part.

Still a good van - not too big - not too small - goes well with the Fiat 2.3 - almost fits in a parking bay and

mike132 - 2007-09-04 8:40 PM

Re the cycle rack - the only one I've had fitted was a Fiamma and it was fixed with bolts through the body with load spreaders on the inside. I believe this was all part of the kit

the clue is in the website name, that euramobil ones a fiamma as well

;-)

armstrongpiper - 2007-09-04 10:07 PM

Thankyou for all your sympathy and reassurance, folks/ We plan to visit some shows this autumn and maybe find something we really fancy to replace our 'duffer'. As to it's make and model, I'm not saying until or after we have sold it!!

Neil B

And by then it will be as new and some folk will have many happy motoring years in it :D

Neil B.....Having just started motorhoming last year without ever having a caravan..if we had your problems it would certainly have put us off. We have only had a few niggles but none that has put us off motorhoming....it was the best decision we have made..and I am glad we took the plunge now rather than wait a few years until we could really afford it.

best of luck with getting a new van

armstrongpiper - 2007-09-04 10:07 PM Thankyou for all your sympathy and reassurance, folks/ We plan to visit some shows this autumn and maybe find something we really fancy to replace our 'duffer'. As to it's make and model, I'm not saying until or after we have sold it!! Neil B

Neil,

Well please make a point of doing so. I think it only right that the contributors are aware so that they can make informed decisions. Someone may well be about to lay out their life savings on a model from the same builder. Of course, you may just have a really unrepresentative rogue, but people in reader-land should have the heads-up.

Good luck with getting a better one.

Hymer C 9. - 2007-09-04 11:05 PM

Colin, I've just got to ask what is the picture of on your aviator, just being nosey, Carol. :$

Its a 'Leonardo de Vinci' glider we made for ITN factual/C4 program and flown by Judy Leddon, the picture was taken when we hung the glider in atrium of ITN headquaters (what you see in background of news). If you know of somewhere we could be paid to display it let me know, never one to turn down an oppertunaty, at moment trying to think of a way to pursaude Eden Project to accept it as made 99.9% from plant material.

Archived