Replacement of Bessacarr 412 top marker lamp- advice from FRED DUCK needed

icj

I am trying to replace the N/S top marker light on my Bessacarr 412 (2014) that has failed. One of the contributors raised the same question in a thread that was closed in 2022, and had not found a solution at that time.

I have the same issue that I can remove the existing marker light by removing the 2 screws and gently prising the fitting away from the body of the motorhome. Unfortunately the wiring only comes out about half a centimeter, which gives me nothing to work with. The two wires appear to be sheathed and this looks about the same diameter as the hole the wires come through, so difficult to understand if there is any spare cable to pull through. 

Another thought would be to remove part of the overhead locker lining, to gain access to the wiring which presumably travels across the interior of the cab roof from the O/S marker top light.

Did the person who raised the now closed thread achieve a satisfactory solution?

IMG_1886.thumb.jpg.3d7f8106c03eb80630e60c2fadb3bfbb.jpg

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, icj

I think this is the earlier forum discussion you refer to - a 2022 resurrection of a 2014 original enquiry.

I believe "Fred Duck" (who had this problem with a 2010 Bessacarr E410 motorhome in 2022) is still an active forum participant, so may notice your enquiry (I've modified the title) and respond here.

Otherwise, if you go to the 2014/2022 forum discussion and click on the racing car on Fred Duck's 'avatar' on any of his postings there

image.png.04c294b71458b3f0e6ae571ca21dff58.png

and, when a new window opens, click on the Message button

image.png.f14705523ad91ce251fa217369fcb0a7.png

this will allow you to send him a Private Message in which you can ask him what was done to address this issue back in 2022.

• Derek Uzzell changed the title to Replacement of Bessacarr 412 top marker lamp- advice from FRED DUCK needed

Apologies, only just noticed this. Simple answer is yes, I did get it sorted. In late 2022 we called to view a new servicing workshop opened by a local storage company in Ossett, Nr. Wakefield, West Yorkshire, Code 11 Ltd. In talking to the Workshop Manager I mentioned the problem with the marker lamp and he said that he'd changed one in the past. He explained that it was likely that there was some free cable behind the lamp but that it was probably being held by the adhesive used to fix the insulation inside the over cab moulding. At that time, we'd just put our van under its cover for the winter so I said I'd be back  in the new year once we'd opened the van up. That took us to April 2023 and the van was booked in for the following month. The Workshop manager had remembered our conversation from the previous year and said his plan was to open out the hole in the moulding where the register on the back of the lamp unit went through with a Dremel type tool to give more movement to the register and the lamp unit so that the a small portion of wiring could be revealed. He said this had worked in the past. In the event, with a bit of wiggling, he managed to release the wire from the adhesive and pull through sufficient for the light unit to be replaced. Charged me for an hours labour which I considered most fair. The Workshop Manager was of the 'Old School' type who thinks about a solution rather than a reason not to do something. I don't know where you are but if anywhere near West Yorkshire, I can't recommend Code 11 Ltd highly enough. https://code11ltd.com/

FD

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the update about the work carried out for you at Code 11 Ltd. I will see if I can find a local workshop in Devon that might work on a similar basis of 'lets fix the problem'.