Bedroom Windows

Wingpete

Spent a good deal of time browsing the stock at Canterbury Brownhills today. Must admit, the range on view is tremendous, with old and new all on display for us punters.

However, I was not able to find a model during the viewing that suited one of our main requirements.

A fixed bed, lengthways, not needing a ladder or step to access, and, most importantly, without a great big window in the wall directly above where one lays their head.

Couldn't figure out the reasoning for that configuration, as it would mean pillows would have to lean on the curtain or window, and the lilkelihood of there being a reduction in privacy as well as ingress of unwanted light, were the curtains to not be fully closed.

We have come to like our Laika layout, with a headboard in the blank wall, and the adjacent side window with Seitx blinds that can be left partially lowered, to keep the privacy and lewft sufficient light in for midnight wanderings.

Ummmm - good point really, never thought about it.

We've got a fixed rear bed - transverse- in our van but the small window is actually at the "Foot" end of the bed.The manufacturer actually supplies you with a kick board that covers the window.This will stop any unwanted damage to the window when in deep sleep.!! There is also a small roof light above the bed, which gets you away from the claustrophobic feeling.

Thai

For what it's worth, ours has a fixed transverse rear bed (over garage) and we have 3 windows altogether; at the head, foot and rear wall of the 'van. We've never had any problem with kicking the windows or the pillows riding up into the curtain / window.

We're both 5'10" and there's loads of room 'top and toe'. The layout, for us, simply works in practice. It makes for a light and airy space where you can control ventilation really well. The windows are cassettes so the simple rolling up / down of flyscreen / silver screen lets in as much, or as little of the outside as we like. Including light.

I wouldn't personally want a no-window scenario; until I'm in my coffin.

No wonder manufacturers can't appeal to everyone!

I quite agree but you are over the Garage high enough offthe floor not to have anyone climbing in over your heads... When we had the Hobby we had the same I loved it being so high up never got the feeling anyone was going to get you .

But when we moved on down to the ground floor no way was I having a window over my head it just gives em one more window to get in. :D

Few additional pointers, relative to our needs

We are both 6 ft 2 ins, so need decent bed length.

I cannot abide the over garage beds, where you have steps to climb up into it. Most uncomfortable in middle of night with bare feet. Agility is not as it once was.

Crosswise beds need very precise levelling, otherwise vertigo presents itself, and partner on downside slope gets squashed.

So, Knaus may be the vehicle to check out.

Or even another Laika

(^)

Wingpete - 2007-09-06 5:44 PM

We are both 6 ft 2 ins, so need decent bed length.

This must be your biggest problem if you want a fixed double. Most converters assume one "normal" and one "shorta**e" Fortunately myself and SWMBO fit that category.

Have you thought about 2 singles?

Archived