Hymer T Class

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git

We are considering as our next motorhome the Hymer T 676 SL , its basically a low profile twin bedded rear washroom motorhome on a Renault chassis, it's the 150Dci.

Has anyone any experiance of this animal or similar??

We have looked at rear twin bedded vans but they don't seem to be of the same quality as the Hymer, any comments?

You should look at Cathargo and Concorde brands if you want quality.

Hymer is good but they are superb. Thats if they have the layout you want.

I spoke to a Cathargo salesman at Dusseldorm regarding one particular MH and he said "YES, we have 25 different layouts for this model".

I think Lowdams is the UK outlet for Cathargo.

Base vehicle choices would be a Merc, Iveco or Renault. Your choise.

Guest JudgeMental

I would do your homework regards the weight as I remember a recent thread where someone got into trouble with a renault based low roof Hymer and had to get the chassis upgraded.

It may be a different model (use the search engine to look at old posts) But check whatever you buy has enough spare capacity for your needs....

and remember fitted extras such as awnings, heki windows etc have to be taken of quoted payload. always best to visit a weighbridge for a true figure anyway.

Put it this way, I would hope a low roof model to be under 3000kg ( inclusive of fuel gas water and driver) leaving a reasonable 500kg (if total 3500kg?) for passengers, fitted extras and all the rest of your stuff.....

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git

The payload of the Hymer is 300kg. this doesn't as you say account for extras such as awning heki's etc. This seems to be an inherant problem but the way I look at it is that if you look at the Adria in a similar guise the payload is much higher than the Hymer.

Reason??

Hymer quality weighs in more.

Guest JudgeMental

300kg! I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, The hymer is old technology, heavy, wood frame etc...

Poor design and build hardly equates with quality in my book - they get away with it because they can...

Also perceived wisdom is to go for a GRP body and roof as well as opposed to aluminum which dents, tears and scratches far easier

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git

Good point , but if you look at what's available on the market there is nothing that comes close interms of quality with internal fittings and upholstery.

Also try to find a twin bedded rear bathroom mh.

They don't exist.

Guest JudgeMental
Jen's Grumpy Git - 2007-09-08 11:10 PM

Good point , but if you look at what's available on the market there is nothing that comes close interms of quality with internal fittings and upholstery.

Also try to find a twin bedded rear bathroom mh.

They don't exist.

perceived quality is not quality at all. in a motorhome its what you dont see that matters in structural integrity and weight - all a measure of good design not eye candy....

a vehicle driven at is max or above *-) can be a dangerous beast. with poor handling, braking and fuel consumption. particularly ones with large overhangs which can also stress the rear axle to capacity.

"Masseur" is rubbing people up the wrong way.

and

Terms for Playboy are that you need to be my Janet!

Sad init.

300 kg resdiual capacity is not nearly enough. We are currently looking at the Iveco 6500 chassis as a potential base vehicle for our next MH. I just wish Merc had an equivalent as it with the new V6 3 litre would be my preferance. Currently they only offer 5 tonne which some converters get up-rated to 5.3 tonne.

Certainly rear wheel drive and twin rears.

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git

Slight correction to my pevious post in so much as the actual payload is 380kg slightly better but not enough.

I assume that if you carried say half a tank of water that would be eating in to my payload ?

Also the previous commemts by the judge have not offended me it takes a ot more than that but he is right in some respects about eye candy, isn,t that what a lot of it is all about.? We looked a a cracking Geist yesterday (used) only 2000 miles on the clock and a very nice finish inside but the upholstery was light blue and really in your face, didn't suit us bet the point being that if the colour was a dark blue or green then the "eye candy" factor kicks in and "hey this is ok"

Guest JudgeMental

"I assume that if you carried say half a tank of water that would be eating in to my payload ?"

The opposite.

"Also try to find a twin bedded rear bathroom mh.

They don't exist."

why do you think this is? IMO because most will find then totally impractical with little storage. with a rear twin bed set up at least you have decent storage underneath

why should you be offended? some manufacturers dress these thing up to attract. But you are not buying furniture you are buying a vehicle.

some of the best German brands are quite plain.....

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git

I totally totally disagree..of course you are buying furniture, the "vehicle is the engine/chassis and thats it. The furniture aspect of the concept is your living accomodation, that's the whole point. Or am I missing something here.? It's were you eat,sleep,drink etc etc. I dont spend my time looking at the chassis or under the bonnet!

Not wishing to sound offensive but I think you are totally off the point JM (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

there you go again whats "offensive"

OK put it this way, and this is my last word - you are buying a motor vehicle and not an apartment - so you should have deeper concerns then just the appearance.

I think you are missing something which is fundamental.

You cannot make any aspect of the MH insignificant.

It must be right inside to suit your needs.

It must be right under the bonnet to suit your needs and aspirations.

The driving position and experience must suit you.

It must also suit your budget.

And if you are an engineer then it must come up to the standards of excellence you expect, else you cannot live with it!

c.

Guest JudgeMental
Clive - 2007-09-09 11:51 AM

You cannot make any aspect of the MH insignificant.

It must be right inside to suit your needs.

It must be right under the bonnet to suit your needs and aspirations.

The driving position and experience must suit you.

It must also suit your budget.

And if you are an engineer then it must come up to the standards of excellence you expect, else you cannot live with it!

c.

I am no engineer but I know that some planes fly better then others. likewise motorhome. On my recent trip to Italy I some ponderous beastly motorhomes wallowing along *-)

Hymer contrary to popular belief, only came 15th in German quality tests last year.

Anyway Clive, I thought i had found you the perfect van :-D the lightweight Burstner Aero (on a Mercedes - to keep you happy! ;-))

Well Judge,

Burstner Aero??

Must have a look at that

Our present MH is a Scout on a Merc

The spec for its replacement is

More social space

Double bed accessible from both sides.

Big garage to take 2 motorbikes.

Much more payload.

BIG bathroom so I can wash without my elbows and knees hitting the walls

(I am 6"2")

Rear wheel drive with twin rears.

(Not a yank as they generally lack finesse.)

(We hoth have HGV class 1 licenses so no limits on chassis weight)

BUT we still have to sell the house first!

Suggestions welcome

C.

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git
Let me make something clear, as yet we haven't bought the Hymer, but importantly this will be our 4th motorhome in 20 years so not exactly a newbie.

JGG, you said you couldn't find a twin bedded, rear bathroomed motorhome but have you not seen the Auto Trail Miami? Twin rear beds in a separate bedroom, acroos the rear bathroom, reasonable lounge and kitchen all on the Master chassis. Sorry I don't have any details of weights for you.

Regardless of what any motorhome press might say I would give Hymer 7 out of 10 for build quality, I know because I get to pull all sorts of motorhomes apart when fitting extras.

D.

Clive - 2007-09-09 1:12 PM

Well Judge,

Burstner Aero??

Must have a look at that

Our present MH is a Scout on a Merc

The spec for its replacement is

More social space

Double bed accessible from both sides.

Big garage to take 2 motorbikes.

Much more payload.

BIG bathroom so I can wash without my elbows and knees hitting the walls

(I am 6"2")

Rear wheel drive with twin rears.

(Not a yank as they generally lack finesse.)

(We hoth have HGV class 1 licenses so no limits on chassis weight)

BUT we still have to sell the house first!

Suggestions welcome

C./QUOTE]

B-) Sounds like you need a US RV to me? (lol)

Clive ... solution ... put wheels on the house!

As for a twin bedded rear washroom motorhomes, I'm sure there are others out there, I've certainly seen them at shows but I just can't remember what make they are but I do remember they were foreign makes!!!

I'll go and give my brain cell an massage and see what happens ... Clive, you going to give me a hand? (lol)

Archived