Rear Seatbelts

ChrisD

Can anyone help please?

We have just bought a new Avantgard 140 with U shaped rear lounge.

Our dealer said seatbelts were not a legal requirement on the side benches, only the rear.

Does anyone know if that is true and what the position is in France.

The above response was given when I asked for a quote for belts to be fitted (which I still want)

Thank you

Hi ChrisD, if you think about seatbelts they are designed to restrain foreward facing passengers, not side ways facing passengers. If a vehicle was involved in a collision, a sideways facing passenger wearing a belt not designed for that purpose could be injured by that belt.

ChrisD - 2007-09-09 2:20 PM

Our dealer said seatbelts were not a legal requirement on the side benches, only the rear.

Sorry but I don't understand this statement. If they are saying seatbelts are a legal requirement for the rear, why are they not fitted?

I am familiar with the 140 layout and cannot see how it is possible to fit proper rear seattbelts when there is no steel structure to mount them to. At best you may find someone who can do a 2 point installation with some steel fabrication required for mountings. I have in the past seen one example of this layout with seatbelts mounted to the wooden bedbox frame, heaven forbid *-)

Even then, your passengers are in a vulnerable position sitting right at the back of the vehicle.

Archived