Security

michele

Hubby was washing the Motorhome at the weekend & a family friend came . They were standing outside with coffee and chatting and the friend noticed that on the passengers side door someone had tried to gain entry.

A few months back the dogs were barking in the middle of the night hubby got up to see what it was could not see anything.

A couple of nights later the van alarm went off at the time we obviously got up to check but we were not to alarmed because prior to that we had made the mistake of letting the battery go flat whilst on the drive which tripped the alarm causing us untold aggrovation in getting it sorted again.

Anyways they have damaged the passenger door and the object which they have tried to shove into the key lock has bent it .

Is there anything you can get that would go over these..?

I think you are better off leaving the old locks as they are, if you reinforce the locks the b**t**ds will cut the quarter light window rubbers and silently remove the glass, hoping to unlock the doors using the buttons inside. I have the same damage to my locks, they still work okay, using a small screwdiver its possible to make the damage look a little better.

My theory for stopping the swines from gaining access after unlocking the door with a flat blade while you are asleep - is - as they quietly open the unlocked cab door, a safety chain holds the door after half inch door movement, this amount of door movement will actuate the main habitation alarm via magnetic switches on the cab doors. The cab lights will also be switched on and will activate an additional underbonnet alarm, if not already activated by the central locking operating and releasing the doors.

If only I could think of away to have spring loaded spikes fly out, and embbed themselves into the thieves without causing too much damage to the cab bodywork.

Regards Terry

Guest starspirit

I have a locking turnbuckle on each door which swings round to cover the locking button.

When swivelled and/or locked in place the door lock button cannot rise and the door won't open and, being white, they are very obvious from outside.

They are inexpensive and easy to fit but there are two downsides.

1]Failure to remember to unlock them before yanking on the door handle to open the door from inside means the cable operating the doorlock mechanism pulls away from the lock. This cable is a right s#d to put back together as you have to take the door panel off and dismantle the window winder to get at it. This of course is much more fun in the rain.

2]If you leave it locked when away from the van make very very sure that you have a caravan door key because you can't get in via the cab doors.

I bought them in Wickes some time ago but they no longer seem to be listed and I can't remember what they were called but I do recall Terry Traveller having a similar deterrent - I think?

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2007-09-11 5:52 PM

once cab locks repaired get a pair of "Armourplates" fitted over locks. they prevent locks being attacked.

Next step, Heosafe cab door locks (£140 fitted)

Forgot we are talking about Fiat, with the well known weaknesses.....

Terrytraveller - 2007-09-11 7:28 PM

If only I could think of away to have spring loaded spikes fly out, and embbed themselves into the thieves without causing too much damage to the cab bodywork.

Regards Terry

The South Africans had a neat anti- carjacking device,it was a built in Flame thrower aimed obliquely away from the vehicle. Singed eyebrows for the thief at the very least !!

Mine would allow entry, but then deadlock and set off a Halon cylinder (to put out the fire....of course). But then they went and banned Halon.

back to the drawing board. :D

Have had that cable come 'orf' the inside door handle once already, as I unlocked the door, the passenger operated the door handle his side and off came the cable.

Yes Richard, we did talk about the differing ways of securing the cab doors, I remember you fitted the slides over the cab door locking buttons and I drilled and fitted pins through the locking button.

I felt that I would rather the thief unlock the cab doors rather than cause damage to the windows or rubber seals. Regarding getting into the cab with safety chains fitted to the cab doors, as the door will open revealing just a sliver of a gap, a gap not wide enough for even a small finger to reach the safety chain, even if you could see the safety chain and/or knew where it was located, a twig from a tree can be used to release the safety chain, and gain entry should you loose your habitation door key, and require to enter via the cab doors, as we all know, you don't need a key to get into the cabs.

I was talking to a MH owner at the Bath & West show yesterday, he has a newish Autotrail, with the habitation door closed and without warning it locks all by itself, they have to carry a habitation door key with them at all times, or risk being locked out.

Heolocks and the like are okay, but if the thief can see the locks and thinks he can unlock them by reaching through a broken or removed window , he will have a go.

Regards Terry

Regards Terry

How about wiring the output from the inverter to the lock >:-)

Frankkia - 2007-09-11 10:54 PM

Regards Terry

How about wiring the output from the inverter to the lock >:-)

Don't even think about that. It would mess up your inverter and electronics, bigtime. As the supply battery has it's neutral connected to the bodywork of the van. It could work if you used a standalone battery and only connected the live from the inverter. On second thoughts, don't do that either as you could easilly forget it,s on and electrocute yourself instead. :D

michele - 2007-09-11 11:15 PM

Would it hurt the kids who were in the street playing innocently ?.

michele

How many kids have you ever know that play "innocently" anywhere ??

Syd,

long gone are my days of playing at the leese park or kicking a ball around

the scotchward Road ... left that behind years ago .It was me who was the terror.

Actually the kids here are all young and no problems at all they run round the back of the camper but not with the intention of touching it they are just playing hide & seek..

;-)

Archived