Advice on Satellite TV & Laptops please....

Papa Smurf

Hi All.

I know Satellite TV needs a digibox, in fact 2 for a dual LNB system I think, but can you use a laptop to display the TV picture? I know that desktops can have TV cards, but have not seen anything relating to mobile PC's...

Hoping someone will be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance folks!

I've yet to see a laptop with an RF input that can be tuned to the digibox's output. You can get either a PCMCIA card or Card Express or even a USB device that allows you to take an AV feed into your laptop. Haven't seen a USB or card satellite receiver for a laptop but I know you can get a PCI card sat receiver for ordinary desktop PCs.

D.

My laptop has a built in Avermedia tv tuner and an RF socket so Yes you can plug in a sat receivers RF out into it and tune the card to it.

There are sat receiver USB input systems available but I haven't seen a "Sky" receiver card for either a PC or laptop. That means you would only get the FTA (free to air) channels and not the pay for or FTV (free to view) which require a card as they are encrypted.

The newer USB2 tv tuners are a lot better than the old USB1 tuners which were only worth watching in very small windows as there wasn't enough info to fill the screen. The new ones can be watched full screen with little degredation in quality.

HOWEVER and it is a big however - the cheaper end of the laptop market with shared graphics and small speakers make viewing (and listening to) video a bit of a pain with jerky motion to movies and picture drop out and often you would need additional speakers to make the experience worthwhile. (The Tosh with harmon Kardon speakers is an exception). Try watching a DVD on your laptop first and if the quality is acceptable it is probable that the purchase of a sat USB receiver will be ok.

Why mess about with a laptop. Just get a dirt cheap 15" LCD TV and plug the sat recaiver into it. Laptop viewing angle is possitively rubbish compared to a LCD.

Quite right Peter most laptops have a poor viewing angle which was another reason why I suggested anyone considering this method should 1st check it out with a DVD.

There are some (more expensive) laptops with HD capability and viewing angles up to 170 deg but you have to have deep pockets.

Archived