Toilet cassette "crud"

Ralph

No! not that kind!

I spent ages trying to think of the correct Subject line and couldn't get a better one, so here goes:

I have a lot of "crud" around the rubber seal and blade in my Thetford cassette. It looks like limescale, perhaps it is as it's very hard.

So the question is how do I remove it? Is there a suitable cleaner that will dissolve it? What causes it? (Yes I know, that's 3 questions)

Help please... :$

Hi Ralph

We had a similar prob with our old van. I just took out the cassette, and got an old soft scrubbing brush to clean it all, using warm water with good old washing up liquid.. Then just put some normal vaseline around the gate, which did tend to help keep the "CRUD" away.I think it is caused by Limescale in the water.We also use the Pink flush liquid and spray that into the bowl after each flush. This seemed to help a little, if only to make it smell nice when you lifted the lid.

Maybe good old "Cillit" bang may also work.

Thai

The Thetford web site Here recommends using Thetford Bathroom Cleaner and Thetford Seal Lubricant - now there's a surprise :-D

It also says (in regard to lubricating the seal/blade) "Note! Never use Vaseline or any vegetable oil. These may cause leakage."

However, the manual for our C4 model says that olive oil can be used. I empty and rinse out the cassette after every trip away and lubicate the seal/blade with olive oil from time to time - basically when I remember :-D - and it seems to work OK.

We use the pink stuff in the flush tank whilst we are away. After each trip, as part of cleaning the van, I normally give the bowl a wipe out with a moist toilet wipe (bought from the pound shop) and then dry the bowl off with kitchen towel.

Don't think I would use Cillit Bang - but maybe that's because of the adverts :-D

Graham

Thai Bry - 2007-09-13 11:29 AMGoing to shops now, to see if I can buy some flies that let me catch some B****Y trout!!

Thai

8-) 8-) 8-)Don't think it will do your cassette much good keeping trout in it Thai 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :D :D Graham

For general scale build-up *in* the cassette, the specific Thetford "Cassette Tank Cleaner" is very effective. (it rather galls me to admit the use of the Manufacturer's product - but as it has been so good I'll recommend it.)

As the application goes into the tank, I'm not so sure it would work on the external surfaces of the seal, but as for the blade, you could run a liitle on the top.

(if the blade and seal are noticeably bad, I suspect the interior ain't too good as well)

J9withdogs - 2007-09-13 7:16 PM

Does your wife know just how lucky she is, Graham???? :D

I hope so :D

As it happens Jill has just had a major operation so I've been promoted from mere man to number one general dogsbody for the next few weeks/months.

Not one to brag but my spiced fruit scones are to die for :D :D :D

Graham

GJH - 2007-09-13 7:42 PM

As it happens Jill has just had a major operation so I've been promoted from mere man to number one general dogsbody for the next few weeks/months.

Not one to brag but my spiced fruit scones are to die for :D :D :D

Graham

Hope Jill's recovery is coming on well, give her my best wishes.

Graham, I think that it would aid Jill's recuperation if she spent a little time chatting on here, don't you think? *-)

J9withdogs - 2007-09-14 8:22 AM

Hope Jill's recovery is coming on well, give her my best wishes.

Graham, I think that it would aid Jill's recuperation if she spent a little time chatting on here, don't you think? *-)

Thanks. She does keep an eye on the forums but prefers to stay in the background. Leaves it to me to get into trouble (lol)

Graham

GJH - 2007-09-14 1:26 PM
Thai Bry - 2007-09-14 9:39 AM

Cleaning the tank, must be one of the chores for us to do then!!

Thai

Is there such a thing as a chore that isn't a man's job Thai? 8-) (lol) 8-) Graham

Graham

I could answer as a "New Aged Man", but I think I will need permission from my other significant.

I'll take a risk and say No - I've got the perfect excuse in that anything I say can get lost in Translation from the Thai into the Engrish what I iz trying to say!!

Better not let your good lady see this as she just might recover too quickly!!;-)

Thai

Re the 'crud', We have had the problem every year accept 2 years ago we bought some loo paper in Austria that was cheap and we really liked, so bought loads. While we used that paper we did not have much of a problem, now we are back usimg other brands, usually cheap ones as rolls are smaller and fit the holder where as Andrex is too large a roll.

Anyway, has made me wonder how much of it is down to the paper used.

Have often thought about trying the 'proper' paper but it is so expensive.

I clean my crud off with a tooth brush and bathroom cleaner and then lubricate everything with seal lubricant (silicon) afterwards.

This reminds me of the joke about the wife whose Husband was getting very angry and rude with her one morning and later when telling her best friend, her friend said he should not speak to her like that. "How are you going to pay him back?"

" Oh! I aleady have, I cleaned the loo this morning with his toothbrush"

Thai Bry - 2007-09-14 1:33 PM

I could answer as a "New Aged Man", but I think I will need permission from my other significant.

I'll take a risk and say No - I've got the perfect excuse in that anything I say can get lost in Translation from the Thai into the Engrish what I iz trying to say!!

Better not let your good lady see this as she just might recover too quickly!!;-)

Thai

Nice one Thai (lol) Actually when the nurse came to visit us the other day she said I must be a New Age Man - so I had to admit I started the trend years ago (lol) Bet all the ladies who read this thread will be dying to meet me at York now (lol) 8-) (lol) 8-) Graham

Thai Bry - 2007-09-14 11:36 PM

Graham

I'm there on sunday, BUTTTTT keeping a low profile!!

In view of my last comments.(lol)

Thai

All being well we shall be there on the Saturday. It's a pity we can't camp there for the full duration but we'll get there one year no doubt.Graham

When the loo is clean and dry, spray the pan and seal with "Back to black" or any of the similar bumper sprays, loads of silicon in it, gives nice clean shine and nothing much will stick to that so makes future cleaning easy and lubricates the seal shutter. Makes up for not being able to put a cleaner in the flush fed from the main tank. Lidls W5 bathroom mousse spray is a good cleaner, does what it sez on the can.

Yes I forgot to comment on the flushing tank fluid.

Wasn't it much better when you could do that? Mind you I often noticed black muck coming in with the flush so I suppose the current idea of using main tank water is probably better.

Bought some W5 after seeing it mentioned in another thread. I love Lidl :-D

I was talking to someone on a MH rally last week who said that he is often asked by fellow motorhomers for the nearest Lidl. As we were chatting someone else came up and spontaneously mentioned buying something at Lidl. We must all be cheapskates (lol)

Archived