Benefits of B2B Charger?

We have a 2021 Adamo 69-4 which we believe predates when Bailey added a battery to battery charger (though they call it a booster I think) to overcome how poorly the smart alternator charges the leisure battery. We have now worked out and got costs for fitting one but…
Has anyone who has fitted one seen a significant improvement in how long a battery charge lasts?
Also, I appear to see that a fully charged leisure battery seems to arrive less charged after a drive - is that fixed too?

If you have a smart alternator, and I suspect you must have on a 2021 model, a B2B is a MUST.  Smart alternators chuck out widely varying voltages which will damage leisure batteries.  In my 2019 Renault Master base vehicle the smart alternator voltage was varying between 15.2v and 11.9v from memory - not good for a leisure battery expecting a max of 14.4v.

I fitted a B2B (which the converter conceded they should have done, and they paid me for it) and I now have control over leisure battery charging.  They get the correct voltage and current whilst driving.  

One word of caution when fitting a B2B.  My understanding is that the current drawn from the alternator should be adjustable so that no more than 30% of the alternator capability should be directed to the leisure batteries.  eg 180Amp alternator x 30% = 54A

The alternator on my van is 185A - I have my B2B set so that no more than 42A is drawn from the alternator as they are expensive to replace and very inconvenient if they fail whilst travelling, so as little stress as possible!

Edited by arthur49
  • Like 1