Another classic from the Caravan Club

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
Came across this little gem in the CC magazine. DON'T FORGET TO UNHOOK. "MOTOR CARAVAN owners are reminded to disconnect their electric hook up lead from the bollard when they drive off from the site for the day. This is obvious for safety reasons-trailing live leads are a danger, especially to children and animals." Regards Don

Guest PeteC
Always put the 'Live' end of my lead inside the stand allone awning Any way it has a flap that automatically closes when taken out of the van An children /pets should not be playing around other peoples pitches and dogs should be on the appropriate lenght of lead and not allowed to roam free

Don As the owners of a 30' RV we find we have to use "proper" sites alot more than we used to 10 years ago. That "little gem" is not merely exercising the word processor, it is quite a common occurrence. Obviously, they don't actually drive off with the camper fully hooked-up (well, not every time anyway!) but some people unplug from the 'van but not from the bollard leaving a "live" connector laying on the ground. It really does happen often enough to warrant the seemingly stupid reminder. Regards Neal

Guest Rowan Lee
Ha, I'm guilty of that one! Last year on a CC site in Wales, I had to leave the site at 6.30am and obviously wanting to do this with the minimum of disturbance to everyone else and since the bollard was located immediately behind someone elses caravan, I simply unplugged from my van, wrapped the live end in a plastic bag, placed it in a bowl and then upended a bucket over the whole lot and put a brick on top. When I returned in the afternoon, the camp commandant was awaiting me, hands on hips. He pointed out that he had unplugged the other end from the bollard, leaving it lying in long wet grass, then proceeded to reprimand me about the dangers of live wet cables. I could hardly get a word in to apologise and explain, but whilst being harangued I lifted my carefully placed bucket to expose my carefully wrapped live end. The tirade dried up pretty quick with a "yes, well ...."

Guest Docted
I always press the red button so it disconnects at the bollard,this is not good enough for the caravan club. But then again I suppose some young child not knowing any better might go to the bollard, reconnect my cable then shove his/her greasy fingers in the live end all that effort to get a free curly perm.

Surely the bollard itself is the hazzard. If a child is determined enough to electrocute themselves, they could presumably find a few abandoned metal tent pegs, and have a good poke around....

Guest David Powell
To side track slightly re:- 'hookup cables'...I once saw a very embarrassed motor homer zoom off for a day out from a C.L. with "both" ends of his cable still plugged in. Lots of people waving frantically, the driver waved back very enthusiastically. The post won! The cable did not break! Nasty hole left in the side of the coachbuilt! Luckily no one was hurt.

Guest Mike C
Just a thought Rowan. Having been considerate to the neighbours by not making a noise detaching the cable fromm the bollard behind their van presumably you also constructed the Bag, Bowl, Bucket and Brick also without noise then you and the missus pushed the Motor Caravan off site so the neighbour was not woken up by 1900cc's plus of diesel being fired up and powered off the pitch. BB has a good point but a question. Is the bollard socket live if a plug is not inserted and twisted? I have seen bollards (if you will excuse the term) which do not have the safety feature fitted and are permanently live. Regards, Mike C.

best one I saw was a dog tied up to the tow car of caravan.Drove off with dog still tied to it.Finally realised before he got onto the main road.Thats was at a site near southport

Guest Roy Hamilton
I'm not a electrician and I'm sure somebody will tell us but it would seem obvious to have an RCD somewhere in the site's system to avoid eletrocution since we're talking rain and wet grass etc.

Guest Rowan Lee
Mike, First of all, I'm a female "Rowan", but I don't mind, it's a common mistake and I'm used to it. And it was me and my old Mum, and even worse, we have 2800cc of noisy diesel. We went as quiet as we could, honest. Actually nobody seemed to hear us, or if they did, they didn't comment. I think we had already been condemned, since we were off to work on the Wales Rally GB (RAC Rally as was), my Mum has a free TV licence now so we are both old enough to know better. And before you ask, hubby wasn't competing, he was working at HQ in Cardiff.

Guest Mike C
Hello Female Rowan, Oops! sorry about that. All is explained, if the Camp Commandant had been faced by a big bloke he would probably not have said anything. Seems him and I are now tarred with the same anti-female brush but at least I apologise. Regards, Mike C.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richard & June Chitson
Hi Rowan I generaly unhook from the van press the red button on site bollard, if possible hook the van end of lead over prevailing bush/shrub/tree or failing no greenary wrap up van end of lead and leave lead on site, so far I have not had any problems, some site wardens have said take lead with you. But for as many times I leave lead on site I wil gather up and put in van can't think why I do it one way then another perhaps it depends on what side of the bed I got out on the given day. Happy vanning Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Richard & June

Archived