DIGITAL TV

Clive

Did our weeks shop in Tesco today. They have LCD flat screen TV,s on sale with built in Freeview decoders. Does Terestrial as well and under £150.00

Prices are comming down and the technology is getting incorporated into the newer sets. Set top boxes will soon be something one can pick up from the dump for 50P.

Sorry, Clive, but I've got to disagree with your statement that 'most give a good picture nowadays'. 'Cos they don't.

It's certainly true that the LCD panels are made in just a few factories - for example Samsung and Sony share the same panel factory, having invested in it jointly.

But the tuners and electronics that drive the panels are a totally different collection of transistors - and that's what determines picture quality. And since the LCD panels cost each manufacturer about the same, this is where they make their cost cuts - and it shows. These very cheap sets are just not worth the saving.

That doesn't mean that all the 'well-known brand' sets are automatically brilliant - they're not. But they are usually better.

One simple tip: if a seller hasn't got a set on demo, steer well clear. There's usually only one reason, and it isn't saving power to go green!

Mel E

====

Guest JudgeMental
breakaleg - 2007-09-14 3:29 PM

sometimes the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

pete

good point that

a £2.99 FM transmitter from e*ay the size of your thumb. then you can use vehicle stereo to listen. as long as tv or whatever has a headphone socket.

I use one with my laptop which has appalling sound quality

any recommendations for a TV then.....

Guest caraprof

I bought a small LCD TV but I've gone back to my Panasonic GX10 CRT model. It's bulkier but the contrast and picture quality are far superior. It's also much better when viewed from an angle.

I'm waiting for a slim LCD with Freeview, built-in DVD player and 12 or 240 volts.

I know that they're available now but I can't bring myself to spend £300 when 240volt-only models are going for half the price - and are probably low-voltage anyway with a tranny in the plug! (Transformer that is, not transistor!)

Maplin are doing their 8.4" Analogue and Digital Flat screen TV for £99.99 again. It's quite small but acceptable if you have space or weight constraints.  The sound quality is tinny but external speakers can improve that (though I haven't done that) The 10.42 model is £199!

Hi,

If you want to save money you don,t need to by a tv. Most freeview receivers and digi boxes have RGB outputs. All you need to buy are moniters at a fraction of the price. I have a sat system with a 15 inch moniter up front facing the swivel seats and two 7 inch moniters, one above each single bed at the back.

The two 7 inch monitors including the dvd player were £99 and run off a 12v cigar socket and only consume 8 watts.

I wasn't aware that you could do without a 'PC' of some sort when using a bog standard computer monitor.

Just to claify, please confirm whether or not you need the laptop to run the monitor? If it can be run straight from the freeview box and doesn't require anything else this could be a very cheap solution for many people.

Hi,

Your computer moniter needs a AV input to recieve the signal from your digibox/freeview. If it doesn,t have one you can buy an adapter.

You don,t need the tv tuner if your running of a digibox/freeview unit.

If space is a premium a colour revering camera monitor will take the av signal and these are very cheap I bought a dvd player with two monitors for £99. They were originaly intended for hanging on the back of the front seats of a car. But I have put them above the beds in the back of the van.

Richard

Not just any computer monitor will do.

As previously stated it'll need some form of AV input to connect the STB to. Can be quite complex. Also not all are that suitable as TV's as some don't have sound, don't have easy aspect ratio adjustment and most don't have remotes.

I purchased the Teknica 19" Widescreen Freeview TV on the 'bay for £135! This is the same as one sold by Tesco.

It's picture quality is not 'great' but is perfectly acceptable. It tunes in totally automatically and has perfectly reasonable sound quality.

The most difficult bit is getting the Status arial pointing in the right direction before starting the auto tune....

Excellent value though.

Jimmy

Been there got the t-shirt brought my van thought not paying that for a 12v tv/dvd from them........

Onto Ebay brought a brand new Alba 17" flat screen 12v with built in DVD for £190 delivered, Bargain, then off to Tesco Freeview box £35 bargain off to Maplins for 240v converter thing £28 bargain

BINGO......

Crap............ :-(

Things over heat, picture turns off when you turn two many lights on have to search for new channels everytime you move, two controlers sound not the best etc etc etc.

Back to dealer buy a 15" Avtex 7 in 1 tv absolutly fantastic auto tune sound amazing picture superb turn on all the lights the lot.

And has a card reader from your camara so you can have a look at your photos while your waiting for her indoors to get ready for an hour *-)

Moral of the storey spend £400 fitted and it works a treat!

John Lewis sell them and they claim to sell 800 a month nationwide!

Keith

Archived