self build

geordie01

You could also go down the route of getting a donor caravan to pinch all the bits out of. A friend of ours did this when his caravan had yet another major water ingress leak and he wasn't prepared to pay yet again for it to be fixed, as it was only about 7 years old he got himself a van and transfered the caravan contents etc to the van, altering the furniture etc as required. Made a very good job of it too and only had to get shot when it secumbed to the dreaded tin-worm.

I take it you mean putting a 'caravan' onto the back of a pickup? Well, I know it has been done but it ain't always pretty!

Saw this one in Swansea just over a week ago. Sorry for the photo quality, hubby's camera phone is a bit crappy! Believe me it looks better in the photo than in real life!

786588704_hybridcamper.jpg.88890f5fd6c0158096da70c0b9c234cd.jpg

Guest caraprof
geordie01 - 2007-09-16 3:33 PM i am thinking of buying a new van and converting it myself to my own layout plan does any one know where to obtain things like units and upholstery and fittings etc thanks

When you've finished give me a call. A close friend owns a super nursing home for people who've had a nervous breakdown. I may be able to get you a discount. :-D

Hi geordie01

About 40 years ago I converted my first campervan as they where called then paid 50 quid from a scrap yard for an ex school meals van ( a commer walk through ) and begged borrowed and stole every thing that went inside, and we had three cracking holidays out of it and sold it for £150 then we where on the road to finer things.

My reason for this little tale is to inform of other complications that you can encounter, If the donar vehicle is under three years old and you intend fixing widows in you will have to inform Hm customs and have it inspected by them and to comply with there rules.

If these rules are still the same from what I can remember you had to have the following

1 At least one bed 6ft long

2 A wardrobe capable of hanging a garment 2ft 6 in long

3 A water container not less than 6 gallons capacity

4 Fixed cooking facilities

thats a few of what I can remember

But you receive of them a after inspection a certifacte, silly rules and i do not know if they still apply

Terry

martin r c - 2007-09-16 3:55 PM

Hi. Remember the gas and mains electric must be checked and certified by proper professional engineers.You can install it youself but it must be tested before use.

Cheers

martin

I agree this is to be recommended but as yet its not mandatory in the UK. The new rules only apply to fixed residences, not mobile ones as I understand it. However when you come to sell the motorhome you may well be advised to get it certificated just in case it goes BANG when the new owners light the fridge!

Just another thought - don't forget to check with insurers before you buy a van - some are very picky about giving insurance whilst vehicles are being converted and a lot won't touch them. We were going to convert an ambulance a few years back - we'd done one previously and wanted to do another - but had real difficulty in getting insurance.

Hi J9, don't let anyone insult your Motorhome. The Holdsworth Valetine was the only British built motorhome that passed the German scrutineers and was given permision to be imported into Germany. Being on a VW helped a lot as well I expect, it looks beautiful. Don't forget the Holdsworth rally at Tredegar House Caravan Club site, Newport, Monmouthshire, 21st, 22nd, & 23rd September.

Archived