Truma Hot Water tank keeps emptying after new water pump installed. Any suggestions

ROJO

Hello, I have a bit a problem, in that my hot water tank slowly empties reducing the water pressure.  A few weeks ago the the immersed water pump failed, so I installed a new one. Since then before we set off I fill the water tank and the hot water tank to ensure that its all full. After a short period of time, about an hour say  the water pressure is very low as the hot water tank need to fill up again. This happens every time now. There are no leaks in the van as I 'm sure I'd spot 10l of water if it was leaking into the van somewhere,  so I assume that the hot water dump valve if faulty. Do these things fail? They are expensive to replace so if its not that then its a costly error. Any suggestions that I may have overlooked or missed. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Regards David

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, ROJO.

If the Truma water heater's 'dump valve' were leaking, water would/should drain out beneath the motorhome and it seems likely you would have noticed this. (The valve is expensive and not immortal, but there's no point replacing it based on guesswork.)

As you've recently changed the water-pump and this was the submersible type and the problem showed up afterwards, Robinhood's diagnosis sounds good.

Submersible water-pumps can have a NRV (Non-Return Valve) integrated into the pump's main body or attached to the pump's outlet (or the NRV may be separate to the pump). When the motorhome's water system has been filled and brought up to pressure, if there is no NRV (or the NRV has become faulty) water will gradually drain back into the fresh-water tank through the water-pump. The symptoms you've described suggest this is happening - no signs of a water leak, low/nil pressure when a tap is initially turned on and a need to refill the water heater's 'tank'.

It might help to have details of your motorhome.