Payload???

Quillaner

And this is where I reveal myself as a complete novice... I am about to buy a motorhome. What sort of payload is needed for a family of four?

Daft question it may be but the motorhome I'm looking at seems to have a payload of 400kg. It doesn't sound like much but the motorhome is marketed as suitable for four people.

Just don't want to make an expensive mistake!

Thanks for any advice.

Guest JudgeMental

welcome!

If you want some meaningful advice best to start with what model is it?

what kind of load do you intend carrying? bikes, sports equipment etc. give us an idea and you may get a more meaningful response

also try using the search facility, there have been lots of threads regards weight...

remember to click "date limit" and choose "all threads"

Hi Jonathan and welcome. Payload is the difference between the "mass in running order" (MIRO) and the "maximum technically permitted laden weight" (MTPLM. MIRO is generally the weight of the vehicle with the driver and 75% fuel and water. Bear in mind that your passengers combined weights will take up a part of your payload and 400 KGS starts to look pretty slim for four people.

D.

Jonathan - Whatever payload you see quoted do please check carefully how this figure was arrived at as not all manufacturers use the same formula when publishing these weights.

The recognised standard formula for unladen weight allows for 'the vehicle in working order, the driver (75kg), gas, fresh water and fuel tanks to 90% of their capacity, wheel jack and the normally supplied vehicle tools'. There is also a tolerance of +/- 5% to take account off.

Note that the figures published in MMM are the manufacturers supplied figures and therefore you cannot compare the payloads on a like for like basis. As I feel that 400kg is going to be marginal for your use the only safe way to be sure is to have the vehicle your interested in weighed (both axles) with you and all your clobber onboard.

Thank you for your help. I've read Brian's article and whilst I confess I get lost on the mathematical formula it's clear that the Eura Mobil I was thinking of is dangerously close to the payload limit. Only 400kgs for the four of us and all of the paraphenalia you need to carry to maintain kids.

It really is very limiting in terms of which motorhome you can go for given that, as someone on Brian's thread points out, most family focussed vans give you about 400kgs for yourselves and your kit.

Back to the drawing board. Anyone know a good van with bunk beds that'll hold a family?

Guest JudgeMental

this link is an old tread regards my EuraMobil. The Profila range are modern construction and lightweight. you will find it near enough impossible to find a hightop, double floored camper with a decent payload within 3500kg. but EuraMobil have just about managed it. I am diabetic on a restricted license and searched long and hard.

There are other threads going on, with low roof non winterised campers with a payload of only 300kg - so you have to get it into perspective.

the 400kg figure quoted includes water - so travel with just enough to get by. I mange as link explains and I am sure you would as well. but if in doubt look at heavier chassis 3850 kg etc but be prepared for the restrictions that come with it.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7098&posts=26

Well, I thought I had, but it seems to be stuck in the Outbox. But the bones of it were as follows:

'I don't know your budget, but a UK spec (uprated chassis) Laika 2.1 or Kreos 3002 will give you anyting between 600 - 900kgs depending on year & spec. '

Hello, there. I'm also looking to buy a first motorhome and have exhausted myself with the mass of information to take in before hopefully not making a regrettable decision. We are a family of four, but I would prefer not to have a monster sitting on my drive between breaks. I'm also becoming something of a wuss when it comes to driving - frankly I hate it. However, my wife is less bothered about driving, but her navigating as a passenger is appalling. So, my excuse for not driving as much as her, is that I can at least get us to the right place, rather than keep turning left when we should be going right.

In many respects, I'm completely wrong for a motorhome, in that I hate being cooped up with my two noisy and argumentative children at home. They're only 11 and 13, yet I've asked them to start planning to leave to make their own way in the world.

We recently went camping, simply because my business has performed poorly of late and I couldn't justify an expensive holiday. At 51, I reckon I'm too old to be lying on the floor and putting up with noisy and inconsiderate campers, late at night, who behave as if they were at their own home and not on a campsite. I recall thinking that at least a motorhome would be better insulated from the noise.

At this juncture, I should also mention that taking our bullmastiff and bichon frise camping, had my blood pressure rapidly rising. Every time someone walked passed the tent, the biggun wanted to defend our territory, whilst the little geezer wanted to run out to be petted. I just wanted some peace and quiet.

We'd taken the dogs camping as it would have been expensive to have put them both in kennels. It's a couple of hundred quid for a fortnight, so although we knew it would be a hassle, we took them with us. I know before I start that cooped up in a motorhome and space would be tighter still. However, we do wish to travel and the idea would be to get out and about and not sit in the motorhome day and night.

So, with 60k of dogs to add to our payload - and there I am, back on topic - I've been studying carefullly related discussions.

I should mention also, that the only conceivable way I could justify the purchase of a motorhome at a time when business isn't great, is to use it as an office. I work from home and it's difficult to justify heating the house all day in the winter. So, if I'm cooped up in one room using just a heater for comfort, I might as well do the same in a motorhome sitting on the drive (and I can easily pick up our broadband). I could then free up the space in the house, currently taken up with business gear. I would also be able to use the motorhome for photo/video trips, the results of which I sometimes use for my business.

Back to payload and there's an aspect I haven't grasped. I've read that for certain vehicles, it's more of a paperwork thing than any physical changes, which can increase the maximum load from, say, 3,500k to 3,850k. How can a 'van which is only safe to load up to the former weight, suddenly be capable - without modification - of a higher load?

The other question which has been bugging me concerning payload, is the lack of DIY. Many of us are perfectly capable of home improvements, yet I see very little written by people who have overcome payload restrictions by altering layouts. I'm not talking about bodged 'improvements' as, naturally, the idea would be to have everything put back together properly according to original spec, at the time of a future sale, but meanwhile, say, carefully remove bits and pieces, which may not be as vital as being able (in my case) to carry people and dogs.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers.

Shaun

Guest JudgeMental
Shaun - 2007-09-21 8:30 AM

I've read that for certain vehicles, it's more of a paperwork thing than any physical changes, which can increase the maximum load from, say, 3,500k to 3,850k. How can a 'van which is only safe to load up to the former weight, suddenly be capable - without modification - of a higher load?

Because some (not all) are built on a heavier chassis to begin with, and plated down to3500kg. This I believe is a carry over from Europe where legislation and tax for vans over 3500kg are prohibitive. There are speed restrictions, road restrictions,licence restrictions, tolls are more expensive, traveling through Austria & Switzerland more expensive as well. insurance including breakdown also more expensive and difficult to obtain etc etc....

So if you can do it within 3500kg all the better, if not be prepared for more expense.....

Of all the things I've been looking for, keeping within that 3.5 tonnes limit, has been top of my list. I recently saw a great review of a Roller Team Auto Roller 600, ideal for a family, which is modestly priced at around £32,000. Unfortunately, the decent payload is mitigated by the heavier chassis, which attracts so many restrictions.

It's because I'm so keen am I to keep within 3.5 tonnes, that I've been pondering about removing equipment from the 'van. I've noticed that many people have complained about awful British build quality, but it seems that efforts to reduce the weight of internal materials, have contributed to flimsy fittings. I think I'd rather have better build cabinets, etc, but fewer of them, and make compromises as to the belongings being carried.

I can't help being drawn to A-class 'vans, but high prices for decade old Hymers, many with small payloads, seem to be the norm. I really don't want left hand drive, so my choices are smaller still.

If I had £40,000 or so, I'd be drawn to the Dethleffs Globebus A-classes - the ones with fixed rear beds. I reckon at 6 metres long and narrow width and with a 500k payload (assuming no extras were fitted), I could manage.

Shaun

Oh, yeah, I appreciate the size of the 600; I just reckoned it was such a reasonable price for the carrying capacity, but with the downside of being a much bigger vehicle all round. I found that if I then looked at a similar sized low profile, I could slip under the 3.5 tonnes, but I'd lose the extra sleeping capacity and also down went the payload. So, back to the drawing board.

I've looked at all the A-class options, but am hampered somewhat by the limited supply of right hand drive. I see that Euromobil have come up with alternative strong but light materials inside, which could hold the key to the future for other makes also - but, at a price.

Shaun

Archived