Hymer on Pre 2008 Ducato - Do they rust at front ?

Dionysius

We have been wondering about an A class hymer, and there aren't any local to us to go look, but we've wondered if it's worth the really long trip to view if they rust at front underneath as the pre-2008  old shape Ducato/Boxer based coach-builts we've looked at.

Or does the A class body prevent water ingress better which I'm assuming must be part of  the cause 

All the coachbuilts  have been crazy stupid rust around the front inner arches where they meet the chassis rails and suspension turrets, and then in the sills under the doors. And every van I've looked at on every  dealers forecourt has been like this... Most I can poke fingers through the holes.

And most had (bent I presume) new MOTs. 

I've showed my local MOT/garage I used the photos they said they wouldn't have passed any of them .

Not yet seen anything I'd want to sink money into

We even looked at a 2007 Autosleeper Monocoque back body, one owner only done 25,000 miles, looked mint factory fresh outside,  and yes ridiculous rust underneath too.....

Does anyone know the cause of this ? Poor design ? Poor quality recycled steel ? No drains? No undercoating pretreatment?

You can look at a 2008 so one year older New shape and there is no real rust to speak of on most.