Availability of Thetford Chemicals in France

snobbyafghan

We are hours away from departing on our first French trip (and only the second trip anywhere!) when I realise that Thetfords only supply a "1 use" bottle of chemical. It's called Aqua Kem Green. Elsewhere on this forum, I've read of the advisability of only using Thetford chemicals with one of their toilets so the question is, how easy is it to get Thetford Chemicals in France?

Doug

Guest caraprof

I'm sure that Thetford only recommend their own fluid because they want you to buy it. Toilet fluid is available all over France, I bought some French stuff at a garden-centre sort of place last year and it was fine.

Just think about it - if you use another brand, what harm do you think it will do? Most motorhome lavatories are similar in construction and I can't see that a different make of fluid is going to melt it or anything!

Martyn

2 weeks - but the bottle they supply is enough for one use so, even with legs permanently crossed, I doubt that'll be enough!

I'd have thought any old chemicals would probably do but there was another thread on here recently in which the consensus seemed to be that it's best to use Thetford's own stuff.

Doug

Doug, One use? what did they supply it in, a thimble? :D Never mind, forgot all about this, for our recent trip over there, we didn't use Thetford we took Elsan (Green) called summat like natural Herb (?). I found it to be hugely more pleasant smelling when emptying the pan. Slightly cheaper too. Where are you heading, and enjoy it wherever it is :-D

Martyn (Green with envy)

Martyn

Brittany via Cherbourg (returning from St Malo). Booked into a site near Avranches on night one then we'll just see where the fancy takes us. There's no time to rush out and get chemicals now(too many other things to do) so I'll just see what we can find in France.

The sample Thetford supplied is 75cl (or is it ml?). Anyway, about as big as a small sauce bottle and it says on it that it's good for one use.

Doug

Guest caraprof

With respect, I think that the main thrust of this thread has taken the wrong direction. I think that Snobby's main query is whether or not he can use other brands of fluid in his Thetford lavatory.

If it is OK for him to do so then the question of how long his Thetford fluid will last is irrelevant as he can buy fluid anywhere in France.

I maintain that he does not have to use only Thetford products and that any similar fluid by another manufacturer will be fine.

I quite agree with Caraprof on this one.

You can purchase fluid abroad for the toilet. My thinking is along the lines of if it's good enough for those in Europe,using the same toilet fluids then it's good enough for me. So any dealer abroad should be able to supply you with an acceptable toilet fluid.

Thai

Hi Doug,

All the usual proprietary toilet chemicals can be used in the Thetford, the Aqua Kem Green is supposed to be acceptable in many chemical disposable pits, whereas the Blue chemical might not be permitted, although I have never had problems or seen notices that only Bio (Green) chemicals must be used.

I always take enough Aqua Kem (Blue) to last for a couple of months, about 3 ltrs, as the Aqua Kem can be around twice the price in French supermarkets.

Have a good trip.

Regards Terry

France must be about the most pro camping country in the world and you can buy Thetford and other chemicals for your cassette toilet in nearly all campsites ands camping accessory shops. It is generally cheaper than UK prices.

Hope this is of use

If you are coming to Brittany try Camping Merlin le Enchanteur at Loyat. Its half way roughly between the channel coast and the Atlantic coast. Beautiful scenery and lovely old market towns to explore in the region as well as the Nantes Brest canal .

VoH

good evening,

you will find as previous entries have said that elsan is available here in france.

most of the blue chemicals are formaldahide based & won't be welcomed on sites that have their own sewage systems (fosse septique) the chemicals will kill the bacteria that digest the solids & result in the site operators having to spend a fair few euros to sort it out.

i have spoken with elasan & thetford & neither would confirm that their 'green' products would not effect a fosse.

fiamma do a loo chemical that should be ok & i think the french use.

narbonne accessories have outlets dotted all over france where you may find what you want.

i use bio magic,on the face of it 5lts@ £23 is quite expensive but you only use half that you use with thetford or elsan. it smell a lot better into the bargain.

enjoy france you'll be back again.

barrie

Just a note regarding the ‘bio’ alternatives that barrie/>/> mentions. 

This new generation of biologically based solutions are, in my view, sadly under-used at the moment. They basically promote aerobic biological activity and allow micro-organisms to thrive, breaking down toilet waste in super-quick time. Because the ‘bugs’ do their job in an oxygenated environment there are no awful pongs. 

All other chemical solutions, formaldehyde or not, directly and aggressively break down waste – and kill the bugs – and simply mask the smells with scented chemicals. When these chemicals find their way into sewerage systems, they continue to do their job and, as mentioned earlier, kill the micro-organisms that break down waste naturally. They interfere with nature’s way; which has of course been pretty successful for a few billion years now. They can also cause the owners of small sewerage systems grief. 

The new ‘bio’ solutions not only work, they don’t do any environmental damage, waste tanks can even be disposed of (responsibly) almost anywhere without significant detriment. You can also pour the ‘bio’ solutions into your grey water tank to break down any smell-causing food-scrap waste etc. that has become trapped. 

The other ‘friendly’ alternative is of course a SOG type system, which simply oxygenates the toilet cassette and allows bacteria to thrive and break down waste aerobically, so again no awful smells. Again, waste can be buried etc. if necessary with no environmental impact. 

I think it’s a bit distasteful that some of the chemical products are marketed as ‘Green’, and are even green in colour, when basically they are just nasty. 

Battery/> acid would do a splendid job of removing the dirt from your ‘van, but there's a bigger picture to consider.

crinklystarfish - 2007-09-18 1:06 PM

I'm not a chemist so would stand correction, but suspect this urban legend is only marginally more effective than adding a live trout.

Don't discount that out of hand Steve, just think about it for a minute.

A live trout could be effective. It might be some sort of a large biological consumer, could be worth trying.

OK, I think I'll just have a nice lie down and wait for matron to arrive.

:-D

Guest caraprof
crinklystarfish - 2007-09-18 1:06 PM I'm not a chemist so would stand correction, but suspect this urban legend is only marginally more effective than adding a live trout.

This is not as silly as you think. I am lead to believe that a species of trout has been bred purely for the purpose of cleansing polluted waterways. The Drainbow Trout, as it's called, also comes in different sizes so I'm sure that there's one suitable for living in a Porta-Potti.

At the end of your trip you can eat it, thus completing a perfect ecological cycle.

Archived