Ducato shudder

brayn

I have a van based on a 2004 Ducato. There is an intermittent fault when I steer at very low speeds, i.e. manoeuvring to park. There is a shudder in the steering. It doesn't happen every time, it can appear at any stage, it seems not to be related to cold or hot running.

I took it to a Fiat main agent ( now in liquidation ) who wanted to replace various bits and pieces at great expense, even though they did not experience the fault ( typical with intermittent faults ) and could offer no suggested diagnosis.

Anybody had anything similar or can offer any suggestion?

If the problem is at very low speeds when parking is it at full lock? Some "A" class manufacturers do not allow enough space, when designing their 'vans, around the wheel arch. That means if the 'van is fully loaded and on lock the tyre tread catches on the arch causing a shudder.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I think the explanation of the tyre catching the wheel arch is a good one. The comment triggered my memory of a 1986 Cavalier that did exactly the same thing!

Interestingly, I got the mechanic who services my car to have a look. He couldn't see anything wrong but commented that it didn't 'feel' like a serious fault, but he would keep it reviewed when servicing etc. and ask about in the trade. Compare this to the main agent who were going to charge me £150 for starters.

Archived