corner steadies?

phantom

Hi

been noticing that the back of our van (1994 Elddis Autoquest 320d) has a bit of a wobble when getting in and out of the side door and when walking around inside. Would corner steadies solve this problem - what exactly are they as I have seen fitted ones and free standing? Is £200 a good quote to have them fitted?

I also have discovered we have air suspension with a little nob at the stair well - if I experimented with this could it solve the problem?

Sorry if it is a stupid question but just a first timer.

Thanks for all your help.

Phantom

Corner steadies do just that, they are at the corners (well nearby anyway) and steady the van so that it doesn't wobble around as you walk about inside. £200 seems a bit on the steep side though and you'd have to make sure you had a suitable place to have the fitted in the first place - they have to go on the chassis. We've got them on our van and even though it's got a really big bottom (4ft+ overhang) we've never used them!

As you appear to have air suspension I'd go down the route of trying to see if you can get that working first to see if it helps as it should take out some of the wobble but whether it removes enough or not is down to how much you are affected by it.

As for free-standing ones, yup you could use these but they are a bit pinchable.

Beware the length of any jacks you fit. My Father in Law had some fitted to his Roller Team on purchase-the type that hinge down, lock and then extend. They have been all but useless, as on anything other than perfectly level firm ground, there isnt enough room even to drop them into the locking position, let alone actually use them ! I told him to take it back, but he never did.

Globetrotter - 2007-09-20 9:32 AM

Beware the length of any jacks you fit. My Father in Law had some fitted to his Roller Team on purchase-the type that hinge down, lock and then extend. They have been all but useless, as on anything other than perfectly level firm ground, there isnt enough room even to drop them into the locking position, let alone actually use them ! I told him to take it back, but he never did.

Autocruise fit these and, as you say, they are almost useless. If you are on sloping ground and bring the rear up on ramps, they rarely reach the ground and if you bring the front up there is rarely enough clearance for them to drop into the locked position. Once my Autocruise Starspirit is out of warranty then I shall change them for the traditional 'wind-down' type. Other than that ( and the silly water-loading inlet), it is possibly the best 'van I have owned, tho'.

Guest caraprof

My sentiments are the same as Dave's. Why live with a 'van that rocks? My wife is very susceptible to movement (she's a balance/hearing problem) so I had the jacks in this link fitted to the rear of our end-kitchen model:

http://www.motoroam.co.uk/product_details.asp?ID=162

They are superb and whilst it's true that they will not reach the ground on a steeply sloping site, that's easily alleviated by a couple of simple wooden blocks that I carry.

The jacks have three or four settings to adjust the basic length and then wind out and down very quickly and easily.

Perhaps is may depend on whether you like a 'simple' life, with a simple solution. If you have a fairly lengthy overhang or soft suspsension, it's far easier to have them fitted to the chassis, and simply wind down, if necessary using a block on the (few) occasions they don't reach the ground. Yes they can be expensive, but it saves carrying around loose axle stands or similar, and it takes only a few seconds to wind them down.

With our Rapido 710, they were in fact fitted in front of the rear wheels, and as there was little overhang and quite firm suspension we hardly ever bothered with them. Now we have a Burstner with a quite long overhang, they are rather more necessary, except for overngiht stops, and the ones they fit are superb, being on a 'ratchet ' winder. Yes, blocks are neccessary if your on sloping ground, as as we didn't take any with us on our first extended trip away, simply found some cut tree trunk wood in the countryside, and that worked great.

Our troery is that if somehting is necessary as in this case, its a better result in the ,ong term to get them actually fitted rather than carrying around 'loose' bits and pieces.

Guest JudgeMental

Errr... £20 or £150 - was that each*-)

I prefer the simple and far cheaper solution. you still have to reach underneath to wind up. I have a massive garage so storage no problem

and the worse damage you can do if you forget about them and drive of is that they fall over :-D

Guest caraprof
JudgeMental - 2007-09-22 4:57 PM Errr... £20 or £150 - was that each*-) I prefer the simple and far cheaper solution. you still have to reach underneath to wind up. I have a massive garage so storage no problem and the worse damage you can do if you forget about them and drive of is that they fall over :-D

For God's sake man, stop trying to justify your choice. Wind up separate jacks may suit you but they're not for everyone. I prefer my built-in ones because they're very convenient, work perfectly and I don't have a huge garage for storage. Plus you leave the handle over your foot pedals so there's absolutely no chance of driving off with them down. Presumably if you forget and drive off you've just lost thirty quid or whatever they cost.

Guest JudgeMental
caraprof - 2007-09-22 5:22 PM

For God's sake man, stop trying to justify your choice. Presumably if you forget and drive off you've just lost thirty quid or whatever they cost.

Easy tiger!so you don't want to split a set then?and no, because like all well behaved campers I inspect a pitch before leaving *-)

Guest JudgeMental
J9withdogs - 2007-09-22 5:48 PM

I know this might be a girlie question, but can you use the corner steadies to level the van?

One of the drawbacks of travelling solo is trying to use levelling chocks.

a little bit, but they are not weight bearing. there are systems that do this but they are heavy & expensive.

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-09-22 5:48 PM I know this might be a girlie question, but can you use the corner steadies to level the van? One of the drawbacks of travelling solo is trying to use levelling chocks.

You can't use mine to raise a 'van to level it. It would rip them from the chassis. Any jacks used to level a motorhome would have to be very heavy duty and then of course you'd have to put them in exactly the right place, which presumably is where you'd put them to raise the 'van to change a tyre.

I'm not sure what effect this would have on the chassis and I suppose that there's always the chance that you might twist and deform it if you have it jacked up for too long.

You'll probably have to wait until some of our techies come back for a definitive answer but one thing worth considering is bigger chocks!

Mine are fairly average size but a short time ago I saw some that were very wide and large and would be much easier to climb up on, especially when there's no one to assist.

This site is very quiet at present Jay. Do you fancy a good argument about something? :-D

Guest JudgeMental
J9withdogs - 2007-09-22 6:00 PM

But I don't weigh very much Eddie - I didn't eat all the puddings...

Was that a slur madam!:-D

let it me known that your femininity will be no defense, as I have sentenced my fair share of lady things to a good old fashioned neck stretch!

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-09-22 6:15 PM
caraprof - 2007-09-22 10:48 AM

My sentiments are the same as Dave's. Why live with a 'van that rocks?

Why, Frank, what do you do in your van to make it rock? *-)

When I'm on my laptop and read some of the silly buggers on this site (not you by the way) I end up jumping up and down with frustration.

Archived