French Health and Safety

kelly58

Only in France would water and electricity mix I took this picture at the Aire near Honfluer last weekend the site was full to capacity with over 200 vans on site 7 euro's a night inc electric but only about 50 electric hookups so there were a lot of people without hookups but still paid 7 euro's.

987323291_HS01.JPG.11b945e71a5b5c032292196c201896b4.JPG

What you need to avoid the lack of lecky is to buy a multi plug adaptor from a French supermarket or garden centre, then you just plug it into an outlet and everyone can enjoy power!

We seen it used earlier this year, and took advantage of it without anyone batting an eye! True not entirely safe and perhaps one thing that wouldn't happen in regulated blighty, but it seemed quite common and the aire wasn't piled high with electrocuted people!!

Guest JudgeMental

whats wrong exactly?

Now, if the tap was above the sockets.... :-D

They are not open domestic sockets. these are rated IP65 suitable for outside use & protected by RCD's. I don't see the danger....

unless stupid *-)

Surely what the picture is showing is that the French (unlike UK) take a practical and pragmatic view of H&S and not the stupid rigidity of it's interpretation in the UK! Many sites in our experince actually fit the split leads into the sockets so everyone can have a share of what's available!

What often does seems more difficult to come to terms with is the length of cable required (the fact that this crosses the aords on the site seems not to bother anyone!), and also the low amperages still provided on some sites - 4 ams (even less sometimes) is still fairly common.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me it it is safe to drive over a hook-up cable?

The reason I ask is a bit OT (sorry, yet again). I'm waiting to get my cottage in France connected to the mains. While waiting, EDF have given me a temporary meter, screwed to the telegraph pole on the OTHER side of the road. So far, I have poked a length of 2.5 domestic cable through some flexible plastic conduit, and just laid it across the road. But when its time to come home, I find the conduit is so badly crushed by passing tractors, that I dump the lot, and buy a new lot for next time. My entire house is wired thru one UK 13amp plug, and so far we have managed to avoid overloading that fuse.

Could I use a caravan hook-up cable instead, and would it stand up to passing traffic? Presumably they are considered fit for traffic on camp sites?

8-) Wrong typpe of shock?

I would have answered yes to that as it's Ok to drive over cables "within reason" but I'm not so sure about tractors etc. that might be a bit too much. Armoured cable would be OK I suppose but must cost an arm and a leg.

Any chance of lashing up a pole and taking it overhead?

I have often had this problem especially when I used to run camps in France and I have put 4 metres of tough hose on the piece where it crosswes roads and have survived many years like that with no problems even from the huge gas deliveriy lorries.

Hi,

Thanks for replies. I would expect a tractor to have lower ground pressure than a car....but when my light started to blink when a tractor drove past, i felt it was time for a new cable.

I thought about going high, but some of these farm trailers and lorries are awful tall, but I don't know how tall.

Thick rubber hose....now why didn't I think of that. The plastic stuff is strong, but not strong enough. It flattens and grips the cable, so that I can't pull the cable out, which means renewing both cable and conduit every visit. €€€€€ or £££££. Yeah, I'll look into rubber hose...assuming that EDF haven't got their finger out. I'll know tomorrow morning.

So far, I have a properly wired house connected to the mains via a cable across the road and a 13A three pin plug and socket inside the meter box.

Archived