motorhome carpet

ksb

caraprof - 2007-09-27 7:55 PM
grocer jack - 2007-09-27 2:56 PM If I've paid a large sum of money for a motorhome I want to ENJOY what I've paid for, not put it away somewhere so the next owner can enjoy what I didn't. It's like buying a new suit and then putting it in the wardrobe "for best. Might as well wear overalls! I know, why not buy one new motorhome and put it in the garage, then bring it out 2 or 3 years later to sell in pristine, as new condition,whilst you live in an old, tatty one. Have you thought of taking out the engine of a new van and storing it whilst you get a horse to tow the rest. " My, that's a lovely shiny engine in your 5 year old van!"

What a load of old tripe! Do you never wash your motorhome as that would be a logical extension of your thinking?

For your information, you can't use your motorhome if you take out the engine but I suspect from the quality of your argument that you haven't realised that!

I cover my sofa seats with a protective cloth as well because if you spill something nasty on it or on your carpet you are just damaging a cheaply replaceable bit of material.

You sound like the sort of chap who wouldn't mind driving around in a motorhome that has nasty stains on the floor and on the upholstery but most of us aren't, we have standards!

Some of us are probably a bit more carefull than you Frank and dont go around our vans honking up and spilling stuff all over the seats. (lol) :D

peter - 2007-09-27 8:27 PM

grocer jack - 2007-09-27 2:56 PM

If I've paid a large sum of money for a motorhome I want to ENJOY what I've paid for, not put it away somewhere so the next owner can enjoy what I didn't. It's like buying a new suit and then putting it in the wardrobe "for best. Might as well wear overalls!

I know, why not buy one new motorhome and put it in the garage, then bring it out 2 or 3 years later to sell in pristine, as new condition,whilst you live in an old, tatty one.

Have you thought of taking out the engine of a new van and storing it whilst you get a horse to tow the rest. " My, that's a lovely shiny engine in your 5 year old van!"

My sentiments entirely Jack. Use your van as it was sold to you and when it comes to sell and the covers are tatty, get them re-covered as tastes in fabrics change over the years and it will look up to date when you sell.

Doesn't this contradict what you're agreeing with Peter? *-) "When you come to sell and the covers are tatty" ...

If the van is used as is, ie no protective materials etc and the original carpet, it could easily become 'tatty' sooner rather than later, which means that you will have to put up with using a tatty van for a lot of the time you own it, whereas if you used removable/washable covers and carpets you can easily replace or clean them and put them back thus making it nice and fresh and 'new' once again, for a much longer time of your ownership. IMO its much better to protect it rather than having to use a tatty 'original' van for your years of ownership and then also have the expense of having to have a the furnishings and carpet renewed at not inconsiderable expense to you just to ensure you can sell it and get a fair price - n'as pas? :-S

Mel B - 2007-09-27 9:08 PM

peter - 2007-09-27 8:27 PM

If I've paid a large sum of money for a motorhome I want to ENJOY what I've paid for, not put it away somewhere so the next owner can enjoy what I didn't. It's like buying a new suit and then putting it in the wardrobe "for best. Might as well wear overalls!

I know, why not buy one new motorhome and put it in the garage, then bring it out 2 or 3 years later to sell in pristine, as new condition,whilst you live in an old, tatty one.

Have you thought of taking out the engine of a new van and storing it whilst you get a horse to tow the rest. " My, that's a lovely shiny engine in your 5 year old van!"

My sentiments entirely Jack. Use your van as it was sold to you and when it comes to sell and the covers are tatty, get them re-covered as tastes in fabrics change over the years and it will look up to date when you sell.

Doesn't this contradict what you're agreeing with Peter? *-) "When you come to sell and the covers are tatty" ...

If the van is used as is, ie no protective materials etc and the original carpet, it could easily become 'tatty' sooner rather than later, which means that you will have to put up with using a tatty van for a lot of the time you own it, whereas if you used removable/washable covers and carpets you can easily replace or clean them and put them back thus making it nice and fresh and 'new' once again, for a much longer time of your ownership. IMO its much better to protect it rather than having to use a tatty 'original' van for your years of ownership and then also have the expense of having to have a the furnishings and carpet renewed at not inconsiderable expense to you just to ensure you can sell it and get a fair price - n'as pas? :-S

That's where your'e wrong Mel. All my covers are removable for washing (quality van), so are always nice and clean. My floor is covered with quality carpet tiles (cleanable) as the idiot of a previous owner took out and discarded the original carpets and painted the floor with blue paint (I kid you not). Having realised that he had made a monumental cock up come selling time he covered it in mock PVC Parquee flooring. Which didn't look too bad, but was rather cold looking in the winter. But if I had a new van I would use it as is because I tend to keep things for quite a while and don't see why I should let the next purchaser have the benefit of a new looking van at secondhand price. I also take great pride in my posessions and look afer them.a So there!

Come and help me out here Jack You started this row and Mel is a formidable opponent. :D

Mel B - 2007-09-27 9:32 PM

Ah but Peter, you said the 'original' carpet, your's ain't original so it don't count. :D

And whilst I'm at it you brought up the word tatty .. hence I applied it to you ..... (lol) ;-)

Actually the covers in my van have seen better days and will be replaced in the near future. It is after all 8Yrs old. But I knew this when I bought it. So when I get it re-covered it will be in a colour and pattern of my choosing and not some Psychedelic patern that had been designed by someone on a drug induced trip. This will put our stamp on it. Lets face it, how many people are totally happy with the colour shemes in their Motorhomes. Some of them are bloody awfull. But if I had a new van, my original view still stands.

WEll I admire your stance but I have to say i agree with keith T I,m not that brave it wouldn''t last five minutes with the kids I have got juice flying everywhere.

So i guess I will stick to rolled up carpets and a trip to the carpet store and cut me own that way when I come to sell it its spotless.

As for the seats they are leather just for that reason easy to wipe down .

out of interest them furniture recoverers at the York show I have seen them being praised on here cant remember the name come with a good reputaion...met some people at the show full of praise for them.

looked like a good job also.

:D

caraprof - 2007-09-27 7:55 PM
grocer jack - 2007-09-27 2:56 PM If I've paid a large sum of money for a motorhome I want to ENJOY what I've paid for, not put it away somewhere so the next owner can enjoy what I didn't. It's like buying a new suit and then putting it in the wardrobe "for best. Might as well wear overalls! I know, why not buy one new motorhome and put it in the garage, then bring it out 2 or 3 years later to sell in pristine, as new condition,whilst you live in an old, tatty one. Have you thought of taking out the engine of a new van and storing it whilst you get a horse to tow the rest. " My, that's a lovely shiny engine in your 5 year old van!"

What a load of old tripe! Do you never wash your motorhome as that would be a logical extension of your thinking?

For your information, you can't use your motorhome if you take out the engine but I suspect from the quality of your argument that you haven't realised that!

I cover my sofa seats with a protective cloth as well because if you spill something nasty on it or on your carpet you are just damaging a cheaply replaceable bit of material.

You sound like the sort of chap who wouldn't mind driving around in a motorhome that has nasty stains on the floor and on the upholstery but most of us aren't, we have standards!

Do you dribble down your shirt too?

Did I stir a hornets' nest or what?

Unfotunately just as "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", some people read satire and get sarcasm. My comments were not meant to be sarcastic but if that's how they were read then so be it!

Do notice, though, that some people agreed with me. However, I stick with the basis of my argument as this business of not enjoying what you've paid for is beyond me. But, each to his own. At least it stimulated some debate. Don't you just love the rush of adrenalin when somebody treads all over your principles and you can't punch them in the mouth!! :D :D

Guest starspirit

I take your point Jack or is it Bob the Grocer, but we always get a carpet offfcut to match the upholstery and I cut it in one piece to fit over the entire van floor. It does not move 'cos it's in one bit and it looks for all the world like fitted carpet - which it is - so that explains it then.

We choose a colour that is a more appropriate colour than some that the makers fit and we always go for a mottled or shaded style which better hides the marks and dog hairs.

Better is the original carpet looks good when we sell.

Even better is that it makes the van a bit warmer underfoot and quieter on the road.

But best of all I can roll it up and take it outside for a good hoovering when we get home.

And best of best of all - it costs very little and works well (for us).

Just to avoid further blodshed let me add this caviat.

Of course we all have our own ideas and we are all right as long as we are happy with what we choose to do and do not offend any one else whilst so doing having weighed all the options we should remain free from critiscism.

it made me laugh

We just have several simple rules to help keep our van clean.

1 No one under 17 is allowed in the van.

2 No one over 70 is allowed in the van.

These simple guidlines have ensured that the carpet and seats will remain free from juice and icecream and smelling of wee.

These may seem a little draconian to some but where would we be without discipline? Total anarchy that's where!

I initially wanted a rule forbidding anyone else beyond the upper step. I am not a monster, if it is raining and someone wants to admire my van it's only polite to let them see inside whilst under some cover. But then again

you don't want muddy feet on your carpets.

Other rules include.

Visitors to our palace must remove their shoes before entering.

Guests must provide a coaster for use under any glasses they use.

Any spillages will be cleaned up and any costs incurred must be paid for by the guilty party.

Food of any sort must not be consumed inside the van. If it is raining, ask and the awning will be extended.

Guests will be shown these rules and will sign to say they accept them and will pay for any damage how so ever cased.

These simple rules have ensured our van is spotless and in pristine condition. Although I must say to date we are surprised at just how unfdriendly motorhome owners are. They seem not to be interested in getting to know us, and never want to come round a second time.

Why would that be do you think?

(lol)

Tomo3090 - 2007-10-01 8:39 PM

We just have several simple rules to help keep our van clean.

1 No one under 17 is allowed in the van.

2 No one over 70 is allowed in the van.

These simple guidlines have ensured that the carpet and seats will remain free from juice and icecream and smelling of wee.

These may seem a little draconian to some but where would we be without discipline? Total anarchy that's where!

I initially wanted a rule forbidding anyone else beyond the upper step. I am not a monster, if it is raining and someone wants to admire my van it's only polite to let them see inside whilst under some cover. But then again

you don't want muddy feet on your carpets.

Other rules include.

Visitors to our palace must remove their shoes before entering.

Guests must provide a coaster for use under any glasses they use.

Any spillages will be cleaned up and any costs incurred must be paid for by the guilty party.

Food of any sort must not be consumed inside the van. If it is raining, ask and the awning will be extended.

Guests will be shown these rules and will sign to say they accept them and will pay for any damage how so ever cased.

These simple rules have ensured our van is spotless and in pristine condition. Although I must say to date we are surprised at just how unfdriendly motorhome owners are. They seem not to be interested in getting to know us, and never want to come round a second time.

Why would that be do you think?

(lol)

excellent, but you are to lenient, why have you not checked that they have washed there clothes that day, they have petted a dog in the last 12mths,and have never been within 100mls of a smoker in there life time

Archived