Fiat X250 steering problem

merrison

we purchased a dethleff A6991 coachbuilt at the end of may .It has the 3.0 litre 160 bhp engine.The vehicle has been driving really well until last month when a fault developed with the steering.At low speeds there is not a problem but once you get to 65mph there is no feedback from the steering,it is as if the wheels have left the ground.This makes the vehicle very unerving to drive.we have had the RAC out but they could not find fault.all tyre pressures have been checked and the vehicle is not heavily loaded.Has anybody else had this problem (?)

Not sure about the specific problem, but our Burstner Marano on the new 2.3/130 engine has extremely light steering...so light in fact that when I go back to the car, that sterring seems positivley heavy. The FIAT is a joy to drive though, I must say, and seems more manoeuverable than the earlier incarnations (using the same wheelbase)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we have the same problem on our Swift Bolero purchased in May. Very difficult to describe what it is like when it happens but I have found it so unnerving I leave all the driving to my husband but I can still tell when it happens. We have just had our van back to the dealers for some small bits of warranty work & included this in with work for Fiat to look at. They can't find anything wrong & suggested we had the tracking checked. We know its not the tracking as it doesn't pull to one side & doesn't happen all the time. Your description of feeling as though the wheels have left the ground is absolutely spot on because the steering just seems to take a mind of its own just for a few seconds totally out of the blue, then goes back to normal. We are new to motor homing too so hope that some of the experts out there may be able to come up with some suggestions as to what it might be so that we can go back to Fiat. We have our speed alert set at 60 so ours happens around 55mph.

Am so pleased it is not just us!!!

You know what its happening on mine also a Bessacarr E695.

We have had this for a year and a half now the best way to describe it is one minute you can feel the wheel and it feels like you have got hold of it the next it feels so light and limp that I have taken to steering to the left or right to make sure it still works.

I have not said anything to hubby I think men drive with a more fierce grip I dont know if he would feel it I tend to drive very light handed and therefor I can feel anything that happens the slightest bump .

And if I told him he would say rubbish .

The only thing it does remind me of is my old days as a Double Decker Bus Driver some of the buses you pushed and pulled and some the steering was as if you didn't have a bus behind. Weird.

My husband does agree with me that it happens cos he has experienced it as well. Was hoping it might be something that would eventually bed in as we have only done about 1500 miles but it doesn't sound like it if you have had yours 18 months!!

Thing is I have only noticed this recently I would say around August .

On way to France just as we left home on the M25 it happened for a moment I though must be because I am in the lorry ruts on the M25 .

I think I have enough driving experience to know the difference it is definately like nothing is there? but only for a minute or so .

On the buses they used to grease the King Pins .

Hi Michele

If your E695 is the same as our 1998 model (ie on the older Ducato chassis) then I have to say I haven't ever noticed this. The original poster is talking about the latest model Fiat, ie from 2007 onwards.

It really does sound most odd and very unnerving. Could it be anything to do with tyre pressures - recommended levels on our Bessacarr E695 are 59psi front and 65psi rear? Other than that, I'd suspect either tracking or too much load towards the rear (which would be difficult with the E695 unless you filled both rear under-seat lockers with really heavy stuff).

Hope somebody more technically savvy than I can come along with some more scientific suggestions.

Ok E765 trust me I had to go and ask him I cannot retain numbers It bugs the hell out of me now I,m getting older it gets harder .Sorry for the confusion its only when I read yours I thought whats he on about we have not got seats at the back :D we have a fixed bed .

Sorry I thought they were talking about Fiats in general .

Apologies folks :$

It might be advisable to contact your tyre manufacturers quoting your max axle loads for front and rear axles ( or do the weighbridge thing.) I prefer the max axle loads because you can argue that that it is the maximum permissable load for your set up)

The pressures quoted and stuck on the vehicle door can be wildly inaccurate for some vehicles. My tyre pressures as recommended by Michelin are at least 30 psi lower, (36% approx) than those recommended by Fiat door sticker.

The M/home drives like a car now rather than a cart :-D

Rgds

Many modern vehicles have speed adjusted power assisted steering which I would guess is electronically controlled. From your description it sounds to me as if the controlling computer is occasionally not recognising the speed being done and therefore giving full assistance when it is not necessary. anybody who remembers driving big cars with PAS from the seventies will understand what over assistance means.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-10-01 6:43 PM

Many modern vehicles have speed adjusted power assisted steering which I would guess is electronically controlled. From your description it sounds to me as if the controlling computer is occasionally not recognising the speed being done and therefore giving full assistance when it is not necessary. anybody who remembers driving big cars with PAS from the seventies will understand what over assistance means.

D.

i do,the x250 has, in my opinion,much to assistance,the steering wheel can be turned with 1 finger and gives very little feedback above 60mph,it,s probably fine for a loaded white van, i doubt if all m/homes are tested in a wind tunnel, if any, so some may lift slightly at speed and some may have downforce

rossko - 2007-10-02 3:21 PM

Dave

Do we need to do anything about it then if it is the power steering & is there any way we could prove it was that??

Thanks for you help

this is only an opinion but unless you can find a specific fault with your vehicle i would say very little,i have a hightop on the new fiat and is fine until i get a headwind above 60mph,then the steering gets very light and it,s concentration time,is this a fault in law?, and whose fault is it, fiat, m/home manufacturer? my personal opinion is that fiat have produced a van that is like a car to drive but has problems when attached to a high sided body, do you have water problems, engine, not personnel.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tracker
colinfrier - 2007-10-22 7:30 PM

Once you have built a ship every thing else in life is easy.

Except building a reliable new Sevel van it seems - well it is a Fiat after all - what else do we really expect?

Roll on the day when all vans will be built on Japanese or Korean base vehicles meanwhile my previous model Ducato will do me very well thanks!

When speaking to the Fiat guy at the NEC he confirmed there are several recalls in the pipeline for the new Fiat - we were told by the dealer on Friday that it had taken longer to complete the "snag list" than expected as they had "done the gear box"!! When we said there was no mention of the gear box on our list they told us it was a new Fiat recall on the 1.6 engine Ducato, so they had dealt with it whilst the van was with them!

Mention was then made that there were other recalls on their way - including steering and wiper motors (told today there are now a total of 6 recalls - not all on the same models though (that's alright then *-) ). The Fiat guy also showed us the mod required on the water ingress problem and said the parts are to be available soon (includes reseating the windscreen on a new type seal apparently) When speaking to the dealer today we said not to investigate the rust appearing on some parts of the engine (7 weeks into ownership) - he said the recall including spraying the injectors with a special sealant - but we have already completed a form at the Fiat stand requesting action so hopefully it will get the "full fix".

Have to agree with the last post though - the engine is a mighty powerful piece of equipment!! Al's well that ends well - we hope.......... :-S

Thanks for sharing that info from the NEC. Music to my ears that they have a recall on the steering. We spoke to our dealer about 10 days ago about the water problem. He told us that the recall had "just come up on his computer" and he would order the parts. Phone call from him yesterday to book it in to get it done next week. Mentioned the steering problem to him but he said they were not aware of anything so we will take great delight in taking a copy of the thread in to show him & get our concern logged.

Being new to motor homing - how do these recalls work please? If we are registerd as the owner of one of the vehicles being recalled, do we automatically get sorted out or do we have to notify the dealer that we have each of the individual problems before we get anything done?

Glad something is moving for you - we were told by the Fiat guy that the DVLC (or other similar body) supplies details of all registered owners to send recall notices. Apparently once you receive the first one you have a Fiat "care file" and the following ones are quicker!

Dealers should be aware - ours knows of 6 on various models of the new Ducato and as said, our gear box was "rebuilt" for a recall without us being told until after the event. At the NEC we filled in a "concern form" to be sent to Fiat direct so the could expedite matters for the water ingress problem - ? maybe available from Fiat dealers???

Good luck ;-)

Thanks

Interested in the gear box rebuild cos when we took ours back for some initial snagging jobs we mentioned that it seemed to grab in reverse gear & husband in particular did not like it. Their reply was that there was nothing wrong with it & we needed to keep the revs up!!! Do you know why yours was rebuilt?

Quick update Sue,

I have just called a local Fiat dealer with a view to getting other work done nearer to home and they searched the Fiat data base for o/s "recalls" on our vehicle (by reg. no.) Apparently we have 4 o/s to date - including the steering rack (worrying :-| ), corroding injectors.....etc. etc... unless of course the dealer, mentioned in my PM, has decided to go ahead and deal with them without telling us? again....

You could perhaps get your vehicle checked by one of the big approved Fiat dealers - they need chassis no. or reg. no. - We found the nearest one to us on the map of all Fiat approved dealers in the UK - given to us by the guy at the NEC. (The local guys said the gear box work was probably the one listed as "Disc Bearing") *-)

Archived