Motorhome Discrimination ?

Jana

Having a look at various places to visit as we have a long weekend away next weekend. As we have to visit the motorhome dealer en route for gas regulator change (again) thought about Corrnwall.

Found a site near Eden Project which looked ok will I looked at the tariff.

http://www.courtfarmcornwall.co.uk/campsite-tariff.htm

Could someone please tell me why motorhomes and trailer tents are charged £4 more per night than caravans and why VW's get away with £12.50.

VW's tend not to have a loo so the owners will use the facilities more.

Will our Ford have to pay more than a VW still a van conversion.

Motorhomes often arrive later and are out all day using less facilities.

I may even email them and find out the reasoning behind this.

Guess where we aren't staying ?

Not a place I'd choose......after all, if you pay for a pitch, it really doens't matter what is on it! We go to France, and there you pay per pitch, which often incl electrics and water on each one, and some - especially germans) literally fill the whole pitch with equipment, whilst other (French!) have a very small tent!....price is the same whaterver, and how ever much electrics/water you consume......

Lets face it these sort of places charge what the market will bear. You probably would not want to spend a week at Eden more just a day so it probably attracts more MHs than Caravans. But it has the image so it will attract enough even at high prices. Pop in during the day and stay elsewhere.

Don

speaking of motorhome discrimination, i did notice from the moment i started driving the van, that other drivers treat you differently. Its the same way people treat BMW X5 drivers..............with complete hatred.

I do find it amusing, as i'm a fast (normal) driver (unlike most motorhome drivers) and people are always trying to overtake me, just cos they 'have too'.............and this is when i'm doing 85mph on the motorway

They undertake, or speed up to over 100 to overtake, then dive in in front and slow to cruise speed again............i think it may bruise their egos a bit following a campervan (lol)

Ralph - 2007-09-25 7:34 AM

If you want to visit the Eden Project, try http://www.eids.co.uk/doubletrees/

I stayed there a couple of years back and it was very good. Small site within walking or cycling distance of Eden P. In fact, if you cycle they give you a discount! :-D

Living pretty close by, wew've visited Eden many times over the years, and find it really enjoyable, and very much an ongoing project.

Whilst we would normally go there in the car, there is plenty of parking for motorhomes, and I would not think there is too much point in finding a site on the edge of it, as there's not really much else to see within a few miles.........personally, if you want to see Cornwall, I'd recommend staying either on one of the many 'beachy' sites, or else more centrally, and using the public transport.

To test the water, we have sent them an email as follows:-

"Having looked at your website and price list, I am baffled as to why caravans are less expensive than motorhomes. The former (car and caravan) take up more space than a single motorhome. Is it something to do with weight as panel vans are charged less? Thinking about next year! Comments would be appreciated."

We'll let you what (if any) reply we receive.

Empress

Discrimination? None other than the mighty Caravan Club is guilty in my humble opinion. Take Rowntree Park in York as a classic example. For those who know the site, they will know the "back wall" pitches, those that back onto the factory wall. How many times have you seen a caravan on those pitches? Once or twice if you are lucky, if at all. They are almost excusively used for motorhomes because of both the size of the pitches and the access. No problem with that at all for us, we never use an awning/gazebo/whatever when visiting Rowntree Park. But why should the pitches be the same price when clearly the club is advocating M/H use only? It just doesn't seem fair to me, grrr >:-(

Martyn

Guest caraprof

So why, when I was at this site recently, was I invited to drive around and choose my own pitch from the many available?

And are you really suggesting that every camp site should rate its pitches on their slightly different sizes and aethestic appeal and have about four different prices, not counting the seasonal changes?

Come on!

They were hoping you would choose a biggy Frank that way they get to charge more.

Come on Frank get with the plot man.

Are you seriously suggesting that a three bedroomed would cost the same as a 7 bedroomed :D .

But why should a Caravan be cheaper thats what I want to know .

i don't care if you are Caravanning or M/Homing or tenting we should be charged the same for a same size plot .

If however you decide to choose the Mother of all plots pay more for that privledge am I right or am I wrong . ;-)

However if I went to the Eden project and saw that Caravans were cheaper I would want to know why.

We visited at a time when the site was very busy, and were in fact in a queue to enter...we found it very well organised, and were invited to look around for our preference of pitch.

However, I don't really have a problem with them asking samller motorhomes to use those pitches if nothing else is available - at least it means the maximum number of units/members be stay on an excellent site.

Some give and take is ncessary in all walks of life, and occasionally it's sensible to take a practical view - or maybe LordThornber would prefer to be turned away due to lack of pitches?

Perhaps however the CC should also adopt a different approach, and if a pitch is only suitable for a small motorhome, then s lower charge made. We stayed on an excellent Municipal site in france last month, whre there was an area for MH only, small pitches, but adequate, at a chrage of €9 per night, again about €15 for a full pitch....that was peak season, too!

Jana - 2007-09-24 6:17 PM

Could someone please tell me why motorhomes and trailer tents are charged £4 more per night than caravans and why VW's get away with £12.50.

VW's tend not to have a loo so the owners will use the facilities more.

Will our Ford have to pay more than a VW still a van conversion.

Did you ask these questions of the site owner/manager?

Frank, correct me if Im wrong here but do you not answer your own question? You were invited to choose your pitch because the site was not full. And Keith, of course I am not going to turn the site down because of the pitches on the back wall. Please, I am not grousing about the pitch size or location, my point is this and only this, if the site cannot get a caravan on those pitches then why should a m/h, (who can get on), pay the same fees? Sorry, but It just doesn't seem right to me.

Martyn

Hi there

I am currently awaiting a reply to my email sent yesterday to them.

I am wondering if they will reply or if they will rethink their policy.

When we visited Rowntree Park we were able to choose our own pitch as with most CC sites.

I too have been allowed to choose my own pitch at Rowntree, but when the site is nearing full and there are pitches left on the back wall, purely because caravan man can't get on them, who fills them up? We do. Where's the give and take there from caravan man? Nowhere cause he can't get on 'em :D

Martyn

Ralph - 2007-09-25 7:34 AM

If you want to visit the Eden Project, try http://www.eids.co.uk/doubletrees/

I stayed there a couple of years back and it was very good. Small site within walking or cycling distance of Eden P. In fact, if you cycle they give you a discount! :-D

Thanks Ralph for the suggestion. I am going to ring them in the morning as the online booking wasn't working tonight. Hopefully they will have a space for us.

Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks again

Surely the answer is simple, just don't use this site if you don't like their pricing policy. By all means ask them why they do it this way but don't be surprised if they don't bother to reply. To my way of thinking they do it for one of two reasons: either they think motorhome owners will happily pay more or they are trying to discourage motorhomes from using their site.

D.

Booked in at Doubletrees from tomorrow for 3 nights (may stay on we'll see). Thank you for the suggestion looking forward to it.

If we spread the word about unfair pricing then perhaps things may change but not if we don't try.

Archived