cab steps

quarrianna

I've never seen these for sale anywhere so suspect they may not be generally available I'm afraid ... unless someone else has spotted them elsewhere!

If you see them on a British built van why not try contacting that van's manufacturer and seeing if you can purchase some.

Failing that, get an electric steps fitted so that you can put it in and out as required, I know they are made for this purpose but can't remember who by ... anyone else know? It wouldn't be cheap but at least it would solve your problem.

BGD - 2007-09-25 9:41 PM

Go to a good metal fabricator, and get them to make up a step and bracketry that they can weld to your van chassis undernetah the cab sill........you can then have it designed exactly as you want to for maybe a hundred quid.

you've been in Spain too long my friend, you'd be hard pushed to get anyone in UK to draw something up for £100 let alone weld it to the chassis >:-) To fabricate and fit a step to each side of the cab (you don't want it looking odd do you?) I'd guesstimate you're looking at about 6 to 8 hours work, the cheapest fab shops are going to charge at least £25 per hour plus VAT, plus materials. That's going to be significantly more than £100 ;-)

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-09-25 9:48 PM

BGD - 2007-09-25 9:41 PM

Go to a good metal fabricator, and get them to make up a step and bracketry that they can weld to your van chassis undernetah the cab sill........you can then have it designed exactly as you want to for maybe a hundred quid.

you've been in Spain too long my friend, you'd be hard pushed to get anyone in UK to draw something up for £100 let alone weld it to the chassis >:-) To fabricate and fit a step to each side of the cab (you don't want it looking odd do you?) I'd guesstimate you're looking at about 6 to 8 hours work, the cheapest fab shops are going to charge at least £25 per hour plus VAT, plus materials. That's going to be significantly more than £100 ;-)

D.

I guess it really depends on how much you can do and how much you want/need them to do......

Many people are capable of measuring and drawing out their own designs (a decent fabricator doesn't need a fully detailed 3rd angle engineering drawing for such a - to them - simple job.

Additionally, if you are handy with a drill, rivet-gun and hacksaw, you can cut and fit the actual footplate of your choosing to the step framework yourself.

Also in my experiance, many fabriactors are more than happy to "lose" the VAT on small job if you are waving cash.

But if you want a Rolls-Royce job without getting your hands dirty at all, then yes I'm sure that as you say, it'd be a lot more than a hundred quid.

Guest starspirit
Auto Cruise fit them on many of their vans and as they are generally very helpful their parts department might be able to supply. They appear quite simple to fix on so it should be a simple DIY job.

Archived