hymer 534 over hang

Guest george mays

Guest george mays
Hi i have a hymer 534 m reg, i am having a lot of problems on hills,step roads,the rear end of my van leans backwards and the front tyres seem to have very poor grip on the road,the van has air assisted suspension,the dealer i bought it from told me just to increase the pressure to 30 psi but no diffence, can any one tell me if this is normal for a 534, or should i be looking else where,for the cause, any advice please

Guest Derek Uzzell
In your case, poor grip at the front wheels is likely to be due to the load being placed on the tyres, (possibly) combined with the condition of the tyres themselves. From what I recall, the mid-1990s 534 had a relatively short wheelbase and a rear U-lounge layout. Assuming this is correct, it's likely that you are storing a lot of your heavy clobber at the rear of the vehicle under the seating. (Perhaps the water-tanks are there too?) This would load up the back axle (hence the "backwards leaning") and reduce the weight (and grip) at the driven front wheels. Rearwards weight transfer on steep hills would further reduce front-wheel grip. Increasing the pressure in your air-springs should lift the rear of the vehicle but shouldn't make much difference grip-wise. The only way to improve that would be to alter the 'van's weight distribution towards the front. If lack of grip is noticeably poor in wet weather, replacing the front tyres could also help, particularly if your Hymer is fitted with Michelin's XC Camping pattern. This tyre is commonplace on motorhomes, but has a poor reputation for road-grip in wet conditions.

Guest Clive
Sometimes I just can,t help myself You cannot beat rear wheel drive! You need your weight over the drive wheels (within the limitations of the maximum axle loading).

Guest David Powell
Your front wheel drive traction problem is not uncommon George. A pal of mine has a front wheel drive AS Raport Renault Trafic Hightop, and on really wet days he has to reverse up the very steep hill up to his house. My rare rear wheel drive Renault Trafic coachbuilt goes up there no problem. It is like Clive says:- put weight over the drive wheels, so put all your heavy stuff within the wheel base, and back boxes are a definite NO NO, try that for starters.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I forgot to mention tyre pressures - if you are using excessively high pressures in the front tyres that won't help either.

An acquaintance related on how he wrote off his Hymer. (sorry, don't know which one). He was bowling joyfully along until his wife left the passenger seat and proceeded to the rear W/C. At the next, slightly uphill, corner he completely lost his steering and carried straight on. I am not Hymer bashing, just poor weight distribution bashing in general in a light van with a fair overhang. In this instance he had moved perhaps 70kg off the front axle and levered the same with the equivalent of about 100kg on the rear end. Not good if the weight distribution was already borderline. Regards Ron

Guest David Powell
If you have a copy of MMM Sepember 2004, there is and artical in there:- "It's my motor home, It Ain't heavy". Or very similar title. I think you would find that very enlightening if you can acquire a copy. I'm afraid mine is long gone down to the barbers shop.

Guest henry
We have 2002 without problems. However, you don't say if you have rear or front wheel drive. If If front, suggest rear axle is overloaded. Only thing to do is to take a lot of weight out and have a trial run empty. let us know the result Regards Henry

Guest george mays
Hi amd thanks for all your answers. i will try and answer some of the points made. it is a front wheel drive rear lounge both water and waste water tanks are at the rear axle it does have motor home tyres fitted as for load distribtution i have a top box fitted and in that was 2 loungers 2 deck chairs a small generator the boot had things like a wash bucket watering can hook up cables 3 ofa fold up light weight table and little other bits most of the time the drive was good untill the hill start the front weels spun when you tryed to move a bit faster on onr hill on my last trip the back end was that low that my removable tow bar cover was draged off along the ground this trip comming back from france with 5 cases of wine on board the van would aqua plane in the rain the front had little control in the rain again mainley on hills my last van was an autostratus on a fiat on an alco chassis and had more loaded on and she never dipped anywhere,maybe i am just compairing them .again thanks for all your replys.

Guest David Powell
Hello again George...I can see a lot of your problems, if the top box is at the back end of your roof with a generator in it, let alone the chairs, that is bad, and add to that he weight of three electric hook-up cables in the boot and you have definitely over loaded your back end. Try and stow the generator and cables up front some where, perhaps behind the drivers and passengers seat and secure them, even if just for travelling. That will make a huge difference for starters. Then look seriously at any other heavy items that you have behind your back axle and considering moving them foreward within the vehicles wheelbase. Think of the back axle as the centre of a seesaw and the front wheels are at the end you need to keep on the ground. If you remember the old school days, "moments about a point" Best of luck.

Guest henry
Hello again, Have you had your springs checked? Have you had your shock absorbers checked Do you live in East Anglia? If you are travelling with all your tanks full then you are carting 250lb because 1 gallon of water weighs 10lb. We have come back from France with a very embarassing 12 cases and it made no difference and we both carry lots of rubbish! Tool kits spare wheel waste water carrier aqua roll chairs table dog foods wine crates which are always full and the list goes on! Regards Henry

Archived