Devizes ccc club site

crwydryn

Guest starspirit

If I knew how to I would email these reports to the clubs just in case they are unaware of their shortcomings.

I am well used to CC arrogance which is why I am no longer a member, but CCC arrogance does seem to be a growing and unwelcome trend from the Friendly Club.

We went to Devizes this June. The wardens were doing a job of work, that's the only thought we had.

Most people doing a regular job of work don't smile a lot either.

We didn't go with any desire of assessing the wardens, we went because of the site locality.

Would you REALLY choose to be all smiles and joking at every encounter with a stranger that you may have to go around and clean up after !!

I certainly would'nt call it a fun job.

Guest starspirit

Most of us are only miserable and bloody minded when someone provokes us - some of us - and I can think of a few - treat it as an art form.

The latter should not be in a position of working with club members who have not paid to be insulted and abused.

Unless of course the member arrives in a bloody minded mood spoiling for an argument?

When your job is customer service and these people are employed by club members for the enjoyment of their holiday then you would think that part of the job description would be to be pleasant to their customers.

We left school years ago and do not like being treated like children.

Guest caraprof

I have never, repeat never, had a problem with wardens at a CC or C&CC site.

Speaking as a retailer of long experience I find that my staff's dealings with customers invariably reflects customers' attitudes to them.

I cannot see the point in blacklisting a site because the holiday site manager was having a bad day, when next year most CCC sites have new managers, and may well be completly different. I also believe though that the club must be setting targets for managers to achieve, which in turn causes more stress for them. Lets also not forget that managers take on this type of work because they like the life style, and not because of the money paid.

We were there last year and found the management staff to be very helpful. Especially in our request. We were due to meet some friends in Salisbury for an open air concert in the Cathedral close,we knew we would be very late back. When we explained it to the Warden his response was 'No problem, I will cone off part of the late arrivals area for you and you can hook up through the fence' It worked a treat,he even asked about the concert the following morning.

When you are working providing people with enjoyment and leisure it should make you happy.

Do a job you enjoy and you'll never work a day!!

After a recent visit to a CC site, we have the following tale. The site was closed on arrival (it's a part time site), we were aware of this, we just arrived early. The office door sported the message, "Mr ???? (not us), pitch on number x, the last pitch. Hmm, where do we go? We booked 3 months earlier, the site was full, no LNA to go on so we half parked on the M/H service point leaving still enough room for use. The site was sodden and we weren't going to risk ripping their grass up *-). There are no hardstandings on the site. There is nowhere to park just outside the site either.

So we have a wander and return to the site, the wardens were revved up for us, (we had left a note explaining who's the van was). I explained we had used our common sense, etc, but no, the lady was not amused. It turned out that she had booked us in for the previous month and had us down as no-shows, something we never do.

But would she accept responsibility and/or apologise? Would she heck, happily her chap came to the rescue, clearing an area of car park for us to stay the night. It was sloping but better than nothing and we thanked him warmly.

On return we wrote to the Club, they refunded our nights fee (yes they charged us (!)) and apologised profusely for the lady wardens behaviours. They explained that they had received numerous complaints about her and that they were not to be retained for the next season.

Martyn

Guest starspirit

There are always exceptions but I reckon that the vast silent majority of CCC site managers do a fantastic job under often very trying circumstances and deserve our praise for the good times as well.

I freely admit that I could not do it.

I can't speak for the CC but my experiences pre enforced electric did not make me want to stay in that club any more.

Looking at their site fees I made the right choice.

We get some real pratts into our office, especially when its time to register vehicles so that they are allowed to park on campus (staff and students). Most are nice but you get some who are absolutly the most obnoxious pompous stuffed up *%(^*$(£(*^%!!!! you've ever met. However, just because they are like that does NOT give our staff the right to respond in the same way. If our staffs' attitudes reflected the offensive person's manner, then they would know they have decended to the perpetrator's level and it is not acceptable at all. We try to keep smiling and being polite whatever, and if possible, try to change the perpetrator's attitude to a more pleasant one by the way we deal with them, with courtesy.

I once had a couple of mature foreign students to deal with who had been wheel clamped, there was only me and a junior in the office as it was over the lunch period, they came in absolutely livid and started to take it out on the junior so I stepped in. By the time they left they had apologised to the junior and thanked me for being helpful as I had taken the time to explain why they had been clamped and offered advice on what to do in the future if they needed to park nearby, they had also accepted that they were in the wrong and paid the fine to get their car released. What I didn't know was that the "Boss man's" PA was having her lunch in her office just along the corridor and one of the Senior Admin staff likewise, when they heard them leave they both came out and congratulated me on how well I'd dealth with them!!!!!!!! I didn't do it for praise obviously as I didn't know they were there, but it was nice to hear I was doing it right in their eyes! :D

Oh, just another little thought, smile when you talk on the phone ... you can really tell at the other end! (lol)

i is smilin mel cant you see my grittin teeth, i is on the phone and forun similtaneeously - buts its a saleman on the phone who wants to sell i sum windows. us cant cope with chickens and ducks at the same time soi why should i smile at sum old conman trying to rip me off?

fragnancefred

I wonder if the weather could have played a part. I was speaking to one warden in the Lake District, and this summer had really caused them problems. Late cancellations and last minute bookings were well up, due to the persistant rain through most of the mid and high season. Let alone the problems caused by the weather itself. He was looking forward to his well earned break.

For me - I have found all the CCC wardens I have had contact with very helpful, and friendly, and although I have only stayed at a few CC sites, preferring CCC, these too have been good.

Maybe I will stop at Devizes next year to see if my view changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I read with some concern some of the comments regarding the site management at Devizes Camping and Caravanning Club site.

May I tell you what happened to me last week. My wife and I were staying on the site. We cycled along the canal towpath to Bradford on Avon, on our return. I stopped because another cyclist was coming in the opposite direction. However I lost balance and fell into the canal bike and all.

I was pulled out with the help of two men who were on a barge holiday.

On returning to the camp site. The warden and his wife went out of their way to help me, even making the washing machine and dryer available to me.When I thanked the site manager he said that : this Is the friendly club : I would like to say how well Paul and Elaine Richards looked after me and I thank them again. We have stayed on the Devizes site several times previously and have never encounted any problems.

Archived