registration & insurance

pmitic

We live here in Spain, so insure our motorhome here.

Our policy is with Abbeygate - they speak English and the policy/booklet etc is all in English.

Excellent price, excellent service, and we've got Europe-wide breakdown assistance/recovery with them too.

Their website is:

www.abbeygateinsure.com

Here's a link (if I can get it to work!):

http://www.abbeygateinsure.com/?gclid=CNDZpPrb74wCFScFEAodPC1G8A

Cheers,

Bruce.

Just thought of something else that you might want to be aware of.

If you have your van on Spanish plates then the vehicle tax is tiny (compared to the UK!) but there is a BIG issue about towbars, and indeed about any other body add-ons like nudge bars.

If you at any point you have a towbar fitted as an aftermarket item, rather than being fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, it's nigh on impossible to get it through the ITV test (the Spanish equivalent of the UK MOT test).

Your vehicle will need an ITV test at 4 year old (for each two years after that until it's 10 years old, then annually thereafter).

Even if you have a towbar fitted by the manufacturer as original equipment when you are buying your van, you still need paperwork to prove that was the case here in Spain. Insist that you get it, and ensure you keep it safe.

Another ITV issue here is tyre sizes/types. In the Spanish Matriculation document ( a sort of V5 registration document) that you'll get with your van, probably only 1 or at most 2 types of tyre width/height/profile will be mentioned. Those are the only ones that you can by law fit to your van.

I've never heard of the Polica checking on this item, but I've heard of loads of people who've had their vehicles fail the ITV test because of it.

Maybe not issues for you, but I thought I'd mention them.

Cheers,

Bruce.

pmitic - 2007-09-30 6:21 PM

Hi, is your van on UK or Spanish plates and if the latter did you change. Regards Paul

Hi Paul - I bought the van on UK plates and have kept it on UK plates. The cost of transferring it to Spanish plates is quite high.

Archived