Burstner

Guest Le Thou

I am not familiar with that model but it was just about the build quality and value for money. We have looked at loads but they seem to be better than the rest and it's also the colour scheme rather than the standard white grp box.

I've no idea of the vehicle type. I answer regarding quality etc.

I cannot see how, as an individual, quality can be assessed by asking for opinions, there will possibly be so many different answers. Some for. Some against.

I view quality by looking for readers complaints and reading the 'for sale' pages to see if a certain model has a lot of 'sales' and ask why.

If you are asking about a fixed bed then I say they are wonderful. It depends if you want to sleep on uneven cushions or made up sections, however good and tight the joints are they are still JOINTS.

Ask around to everyone you see. Go to an event of somesort where there are several types and ask. Research is the key and DO NOT hurry your choice !!

Hi Charlie & Co

We have an autotrail cheyenne and have to make the bed up which is a chore so a move to a fixed bed is a good move. We have a buyer for the cheyenne and we are not in any panic to change but the Burstner is top of the list.

I agree that it's horses for courses but it's good to hear other peoples opinions good or bad, wouldn,t you agree?

Le Thou,

Burstner have a good reputation for quality, but I have some sympathy with Charlie's response.

First, you need to realise that Burstner (along with Dethleffs, Laika, LMC, TEC, Geist, and several others), are all owned by the Hymer Group. The French Trigano Group seems to own almost all the rest (well, not quite, but they do own Ci, Trigano, Roller Team, Benimar, Autostar, Chausson, Challenger, Euramobil, etc.)

I am making two points here: A: that they all use the same indutrialised construction techniques, so body leaks are now very rare, and, B: that the fact it's badged TEC doen't mean it's built by TEC (in fact they are built by LMC!). These big groups are increasingly building 'brands' in several factories to put the finished product close to the point of sale because transporting a motorhome is so expensive.

Secondly, they ALL use virtually the same kit of parts: Dometic Seitz windows and blinds, Dometic/Thetford fridges, Thetford loos, Smev cookers, hobs and sink bowls, Truma heaters, and so on. If your new motorhome doesn't leak (see above), the most likely source of a problem is one of these bits of kit or the plumbing - and with snap-together joints, even that's been de-skilled.

So, all in all you're about as likely to get a bad one from Burstner as you are from and other brand.

Which makes your acceptance tour of whatever they deliver to you so important.

Mel E

====

Thank you Mel, quite a knowlegable chap by all accounts and point or points taken.

On the basis of your comments it looks as if we will probably go for the Burstner maybe look at importing one but that's another story as I am sure this subject has also been covered at some stage.

Thank you again

Guest JudgeMental
Le Thou - 2007-09-30 1:42 PM

Thank you Mel, quite a knowlegable chap by all accounts and point or points taken.

On the basis of your comments it looks as if we will probably go for the Burstner maybe look at importing one but that's another story as I am sure this subject has also been covered at some stage.

Thank you again

I think a reputable German van like a Bustner is a good choice but there are others like Hobby, EuraMobil etc... I think the NEC show is next month , and an opportunity to make comparisons on a decent scale. but check that importer is exhibiting vans you are interested in. as we were disappointed when we visited and thats why we went to Düsseldorf

lots on here with import experience. and the "search" feature will help with background. www.mobile.de is a good site to look at German vans

For importing, what you need is the MMM Fact Sheet (by one Mel E). Details of how to get it weill be revealed by a search using 'importing' or some such. Or send me a pm (Private Message).

Make sure you get it well ahead, rather than leaving it until you've made all the important decisions!

Mel E

====

Hi Le Thou. We have a Burstner Tstar 680 on a Mercedes 316 cdi, bought new last year. It has a fixed rear bed ,washroom/toilet with separate shower along side. An L- shaped kitchen with 3 burner Smev hob, round sink and separate drainer. Large fridge/freezer with oven/grill above (not very practical but usable). The lounge consists of a forward facing dinette seat with two 3-point seat belts, a two seater side settee and both cab seats (Aguti) swivel. We find this layout to be very versatile and comfortable and can seat 6 people with ease. The table has a slot in extension for for when 4-6 people are dining. The Tstar or 'Billy Burstner' as it is affectionately known, has Remis pleated cab blinds fitted, electric single step and loads of storage space. I could go on and on singing its praises as I really love the layout and quality fittings. I don't think Burstner are doing this layout on a Mercedes anymore. Either the Burstner Delphin or Marano has the same layout but on a Fiat or Peugeot (?). Hope this is of some help. :-D

Tstar. Either the Burstner Delphin or Marano has the same layout but on a Fiat or Peugeot . Hope this is of some help.

As mentioned earlier we have the 695g. (solano) The solano has all the same layout as Tstars van but with a garage. We have the heavy (4000kg) chassis so we can carry a motorcycle in the garage, it is on the fiat 3ltr, 160 multijet base, what an engine! wow!! the internal quality of the cabinets and furniture is superb, as is the external, which is why we chose the burstner. We also liked the choice of diferent external colours that burstner offered, especially the fire option which we thought was worth the extra £600 or so. Little niggles: The front bed layout is a little uncomfortable,the bed narrows quite a bit at the bottom end, so we think is only suitable for children. Ours don't come with us so much now,so its only a niggle now and again. The garage tie down hoops are not the best, they can pull out of the floor if too much pressure is put on them (will line the garage floor with ply) outside habitat light, just silly planning and design: if the habitation door is open.the external light is behind the open door, why did they move it from above the door?,also, if the door is open, one can't open the side window more than an inch or two, why didn't they put a sliding window at this location? The habitation electrical system has a failsafe to stop the batteries from running flat, a good idea except i think it could allow the batteries to go a little lower than they do, 2 batteries tend to go down to the limit in about 5-7 days with no usage(apart from the alarm, and the radios constant feed) is this normal? . Other than that, we love it. with hindsight we would have bought the van abroad, we will do that with the next van in say 10 yrs or so. No regrets with choice of van.

goodluck with your purchase, whatever it is

mark

I've been pulling motorhomes apart and putting them back together for a number of years so I see behind the scenes so to speak. Burstner are among the better marques for build quality but they don't waste effort tidying up hidden stuff, piping/wiring that's hidden in the recesses for example. Overall I'd say they're not the best but they're pretty good.

D.

Le Thou,

The posts in reply to you query have given you a lot to think about. If its a help we have a Delfin T680 bought from new about 15 months ago. It is on the Renault 3 litre chassis although I think more recent versions were on the uprated 2.5 litre version which is more fuel efficient. I can honestly say that we are delighted with our van. We looked at a lot of similar vans before we bought and there was not a lot of difference although at the time we bought, the Transits and Fiats had handbrake positions that made using the driver seat swivel almost impossible which ruled them out. The newer versions of these marques do not have this problem. We knew the build quality of Burstner was high and this plus the innovative design swung it for us. We had a couple of minor problems at the start (doen't everyone!!) but these were on the standard items that the company buys-in and did not relate to build quality which we believed (and still believe after 8k miles) is the best of the bunch that we saw. We spoke to a couple of Delfin owners (one Dutch and one British) while on holiday in Italy recently and they were both delighted with their vans. I am sure that if you go for one you will not be disappointed.

Good Luck,

DD

Thank you guys plenty to chew over but whilst I have been doing my homework on the Low profile we have today looked at a Burstner 681 A class that absolutely ticks every single box which is amazing after the amount of vans we have looked at.

We saw a 680 yesterday and by the time we hummed and arred about it they sold it ! Thats life. But it was a nice layout so yet again back to the drawing board with the 681 a class.

Why is it that when you think you have it sussed someone throws a spanner in the works.

But thank you again to all posts, very informative and most helpful, keep em coming

AH

Hi Le Thou, we have also just within the last 6 months bought a Burstner Delfin 680, ours is on the Renault 3 litre chassis, about a year old.

Had vans for many years as well as building them in the good old days of the "real" Danburys.

This Burstner is really good and as yet haven't been able to fault it especially in the build quality. Engine is also great and I'm getting 28 mpg, no matter how I drive it.

Certainly ticks every box for me

What ever you choose, just enjoy. That's what it is all about and it doesn't matter what it is in.

(lol)

Baz

Hi

We have the Solano 615 with fixed bed, new in August 07, very pleased with it,our 1st MH so we had looked at loads of others , layouts etc, Build Quality is very good, nice to drive. Make sure that the A class has enough payload for you, we saw some which ticked all the boxes except for the payload.

Good Luck with your search

Chris

We have an Elegance 681 A class (2005 model) and are absolutely delighted with it. You should note however that it is really only a luxury 2 berth (drop down bed) motorhome rather than a 3 berth as some may claim. As you say it ticks all the boxes for us with a superb lounge area, good kitchen and washroom with separate shower. We never use on-site showers preferring to use the very comfortable shower in the van. Regarding payload ours has a 4 ton MAM (5.2 ton GTW) which is more than adequate. When fully loaded with full fuel and water tanks and 2 persons on board it comes in at 3.7 to 3.8 tons. We also tow a Smart car on a trailer and this still keeps us well within the 5.2 ton GTW as well as individual axle weights.

Build quality seems to be very good. We have had problems with the fresh water and grey water level sensors (this seems to be fairly common) and are still waiting for another set of replacement sensors - we have overcome the problem by disconnecting them as we have a very good idea of our useage (we reckon 3 days on a full fresh water tank with showering each day as well as other useage) and the same for the waste tank. The only other major problem has been a disconnected push fit waste water joint under the kitchen unit. To avoid dismantling the complete kitchen area we cut an access hatch in the cupboard floor - not the neatest of solutions but who can see it?

Hope this helps and good hunting.

Guest Le Thou

Hi

I had heard about the sensors being a problem but the dealership has included a 12 month warranty on all used vehicles, don't know if that's worth the paper it's written on.

The aspect of a genuine 2 berth suits us 100%, means we cannot take passengers (Adult kids stay at home.....bliss). They payload percentage is good compared to the 21ft Autocruise we sold last year, so all in all a good outfit.

They only critisicm I could find is dividing the pull down bed off fromm the rest of the van as I am quite an early riser, not sure if it has what I'd call a modesty curtain. Anyway another visit to the dealers on saturday.

Thanks again folks, AH

Sensors and Warranties. Yes, sensors are a problem on this model and warranties are only as good as the dealer/manufacturer who are backing them. It took a year and three 400 mile round trips before we could get Chelston to rectify this agreed warranty claim.

Archived