Do I have a prob with leisure battery

dencol

I am new to Motorcaravanning and would like to ask for advice about whether I have a problem with the leisure battery / charger or if I am doing something wrong. I have an Autosleeper Dorset (basically a Symbol / Symphony) about 9 months old. I collected it 3 weeks ago from a dealer and when checking the control panel it showed the battery just over ¾ charged this has not changed whilst sitting in the drive. I have just got back from 5 days away and the following happened.

I was on hook up during holiday on 6 amps and did not drive van or have engine running. The van has 5 by12 volt fluorescent lights, Water pump and toilet flush working from the 12 volt system and a water heaters + fridge working from the mains electrics. I had 2 x lights on evenings with very little use of the water pump and toilet flush. First night did not have problem with the lights but did not check the control panel. Second night lights dimmed after about 3 hours and then flickered when I used the water pump, panel showed battery very near to the empty mark.

Van on charge overnight and all day (19 hours) panel showed ¾ charged but that evening had one light on that dimmed after about 1 hour and panel showed battery discharged. In case I had a faulty battery turned charger off overnight and next morning panel showed battery ¾+ charged.

Did not use the lights again bought a mains lamp.

The only other electrical items used were a mains kettle occasionally and a toaster.

Yesterday travelled home approx 300 miles and this morning battery showed just under fully charged, left the lights on 6 hours after which battery showed ¾+ charged.

Sorry to make this longwinded but not sure what information would be relevant and if I can check anything else (just found the battery under the drivers seat but how I get to it has me foxed) Have relied on the control panel reading as although I have a meter don’t know how to use it and don’t want to make pretty looking sparks unless I have to.

I will take it back to the dealer but could do with some ideas about the problem. Or more likely about what I am doing wrong?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi Colin and welcome to the forum (aslo often referred to as the madhouse). I thikn you've given us plenty of information there mate and I'd say almost definitely that your battery charger isn't working which is why after several days on site your leisure battery was down but after a good drive it had revived. That also tells me that the split charge circuit is working so check the output of the battery charger and check that there isn't a fuse blown somewhere, possibly near the leisure battery.

D.

Thanks.

Found the charger (Cannot believe they hide these things then forget to tell you in the manuel where they put them).

Battery charger is switched on both through the mains circuit and at the charger and the red light at the charger switch comes on, however still unsure how to use testers so cannot tell if the charger is working or just acting as a red light.

Did manage to work out how to use the electrical tester on the battery giving a reading of 12.95 control panel shows battery not fully charged. Then tested again after putting charger on still 12.95. then again after 30 mins of charger on still 12.95.Have rechecked every fuse I can find under the seat by the battery and they all look ok. Have also checked where possible connections and all wires appear secure. But have back problem so checking wiring out is a bit hit and miss

Hi Colin, it would appear that either your charger is U/S or there is a break in the wiring between it and the battery. If you don't fully know what you're doing then I'd respectfully suggest you take it to an auto electrician or your dealer and get them to sort it out.

In edit: I've just re-read your original posting and as the 'van is 9 months old it is still under warranty so take it back to the supplying dealer and get them to fix it.

D.

Thanks was looking to take it back with a few minor 'niggles' I want then to sort out. What I was hoping was that peoples suggestions would mean I had check the obvious and possibly sorted it out or could speak to the dealer with some knowledge. Exactly what I have received from this forum glad I found such a helpful group of people. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions

Colin

Archived