extra fuel

chrisallys

We always make a point of topping up every half tank it gets a bit boring but we to have run on fumes a few times especially when in France in the middle of nowhere .

It can get abit panicky when looking for somewhere on a sunday I have never though of your idea just the simple solution of keep it topped up that way we are never far from where we want to go with half a tank.

You don't say what your base vehicle is and that would help answer your question.

Since we changed from an Iveco 2.8TD base doing 21mpg with a 65 litre tank to a Renault Master doing 32mpg with 100 Litres, the range is enormous. With the Iveco France was a real problem, especially on Sunday when so many gas stations are closed and those that aren't are unmanned and only take a special French Credit Card.

CAK Tanks make good quality plastic tanks (I mean plastic and not GRP) which fit most vehicles. Though they're meant for waste or fresh water, they may well do the trick for fuel, but the in and out point would need to be plastic welded, not just screwed on. I have no idea how you'd get the fuel from the extra tank, but Dave Newell will be able to tell you.

As a starter, why not talk to them? Their phone is always busy, but I see they are at the NEC October Show in a couple of weeks.

Of course, this would count as a significant modification, so you need to talk to your insurers before you do anything - who knows, they may be able to help you?

Mel E

====

hi Chris, you'll probably find that your original tank is made of plastic anyway so another plastic tank shouldn't be a problem. It could be worth checking if Mercedes offer a long range fuel tank as an option, some manufacturers do. If you do have to go far a secondary tank you'll need to measure up carefully underneath to see what space and shape tank you can fit and then find someone to fabricate it for you. I think Mel's suggestion of speaking to CAK tanks is an excellent one, there should be no problems with having one made from plastic as most modern vehicles already use plastic tanks anyway. The simplest way to connect the two tanks would be to couple the take off pipes together but this will drastically slow filling so you may need to consider where you could fit an additional filler point for the auxilliary tank.

Its probavbly easier and cheaper to buy a couple of 5 gallon jerry cans and use those for extra fuel.

D.

Guest JudgeMental

Yes France on a Sunday is a complete pain for fuel. if was not for the kindness of a french women we meet who paid for our fuel in return for cash we would have been stuck for the second time on our summer trip.

No experience of morocco. suppose when you see a fuel station you would top up at every opportunity, or plot them on a map or via a GPS.

So either a bigger replacement tank, carry spare fuel in proper containers or plan very well ahead.

Archived