Ducato Recall

dobscott

The October Caravan Club magazine had a news item that identified a range of chassis no's for Fiat Ducatos which were subject to a recall to resolve problems experienced with the brake servo during winter conditions. Owners were advised to call their Fiat dealer.

My Fiat is within the range of chassis no's identified so I rang my local Fiat dealer today. The only recall that they could identify relating to my vehicle was for a modification to the foot brake stop. They offered to order the parts and contact me when they are in stock so that the work can be completed.

I wonder if any other subscribers to this forum are subject to this recall and if so I would be very interested to hear of their experience. Once again it appears that vehicles used for conversion have been "lost" in the system. If indeed there was a system in the first place.

Can anyone throw any light on this situation?

Geoff

As my chassis number falls within the range and I had heard nothing I called the Fiat dealer. He told me that as the DVLA keps a record of all the chassis numbers it is their responsibility to issue the recall notices to the registered owner. The Fiat dealer didn't want to see the van until I had received notice from the DVLA. I checked my V5 registration document to make sure that the chassis number was recorded correctly, which it was, so I suppose I will just have to wait patiently!

Incidentally it is interesting to note that although the chassis range given in the recall covers some 7 million numbers (assuming all chassis are numbered sequentially) it seems that only 4410 vehicles are affected.

Is this only affecting FIAT? If the Peugot and others are the same engine and chassis, just re badged won't they need recalling too?

As to the chassis number thing, I have had the same problem with the Peugot not being registered on their parts and service system. I only needed a small dashboard part that wasn't important, but the dealer pointed out that if something had broken and it had been more serious, and especially if I was abroad then they might not have accepted the vehicle warranty. The dealer had to imput the engine and chassis numbers direct into the computer, but he had to see the vehicle infront of him before they would do it. I'm not blaming the Peugot dealer or Spinneys' wheere I got the van from. The fault it seems lies with Compass who didn't log the numbers with Peugot when they converted it.

Anyone buying a new van might want to check this out.

Archived