Parking M/H outside the house

yesmad

I have just read in MMM November edition page 26 that some councils are preventing you parking your A Class M/H outside your house on the road. I know that we had this problem when we owned a caravan. We left ouitside our house for a couple of days so that I could clean it and get it ready for our hols and we were paid a visit from our council asking how long it would be there. Has anyone else had a problem with their A Class? we are thinking of getting an A Class within the next month, and I think I may consider storage.

Steve

Guest JudgeMental

if its taxed and insured what can they do about it?

I live in a private road and van is currently parked on front drive. I have a area at the back next to garage but need to get wider gates before I can get new camper back there.having trouble getting someone around to quote....

I have had the odd snide remark from neighbors. if they report me for infringement of the restrictive covenant that does not allow commercial vehicles (not sure if campers are covered) I will just move it onto the road outside the persons home who reports me :-D

Mine is 3500kg I think you may have a problem with heavier vehicles.....

Guest caraprof

Mmmm. No wonder that caravanners and motorhomers get a bad name!

Personally I think that it's ill-mannered storing a dirty great white monstrosity on your drive and blocking the road with it is even worse.

My neighbours never bother when my 'van is on the drive for two or three days whilst I clean it and load it etc. because they know that ultimately it will disappear.

Guest JudgeMental

Err... its not really my fault as I cannot get anyone around to quote for the work. saying that someone is supposed to be around today but I doubt he will turn up....

i have lived here for 15 years and always store van at back out of the way with no problems or comments.

And its not dirty or white or a monstrosity, its beautiful!

maybe you are still a tugger at heart? :-D

Guest caraprof

Storing it at the rear is fine. I've no problems with that. My comments were about people who store them on their drives, or even worse, on the road outside their homes.

I'm still a caravanner at heart, by which I mean a mobile home, whatever it's concept but most of all I like to think that at heart I'm also a responsible citizen and a responsible neighbour.

I believe that the legal position is clear: provided the vehicle is taxed, insured and has a legal MoT, then it may be parked on the public highway provided parking is not specifically proscribed.

However, the normal understanding of parking is 'short-term', and I'm fairly sure that leaving a vehicle there throughout the winter, for example, will contravene at least one local bye-law.

Your best bet is to consult your local councillor and ask them to find out the chapter and verse for where you live.

Normally, if the contract to purchase a house has a covenant attached to prevent parking of commercial vehicles in front of the house (on the drive), then there will be a similar restriction for caravans, and this would normally be taken to extend to motorhomes. However, such covenants are notoriously difficult to enforce.

We have a 4 year old house on a new development that has all these covenants. So I've made a hard standing (shingle, actually) down the side of the house, and replaced a section of fence with simple double gates. I also keep the vehicle under a Protex green cover, which pleases the neighbours on the other side of the hedge no end. We have thus overcome the problem - and we have no fewer than 6 other houses/plots neighbouring our garden!

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-10-01 2:29 PM

I believe that the legal position is clear: provided the vehicle is taxed, insured and has a legal MoT, then it may be parked on the public highway provided parking is not specifically proscribed.

There is no absolute right to park on any road. I'm sure Michelle's bobby hubby can confirm that the Police can nick any vehicle for obstruction. They don't of course nick every vehicle, but in theory they could.

caraprof - 2007-10-01 1:38 PM

Personally I think that it's ill-mannered storing a dirty great white monstrosity on your drive and blocking the road with it is even worse.

My neighbours never bother when my 'van is on the drive for two or three days whilst I clean it and load it etc. because they know that ultimately it will disappear.

Before making such sweeping genralisations prehaps you would like to look at the picture below of my house, this was taken by the local tourist information office and I have just scaned it from their leaflet, on the front drive is parked my van! you can't even see it from this angle I have no houses opposite and the nabours each side can't even see my house let alone van, the only complains I have heard is from people trying to take photo's from opposite end of my front garden that they have trouble framing the photo, well hard luck

House.jpg.db342c2f1e005ef39acad7959d892e14.jpg

What a beautiful house Frank you have but lets face it it is so POOSH that you wouldnt want to spoil the scenery with a ugly van jobbie parked outside .

I am not so fortunate to live where you live So its on the drive when they pay my mortgage then they can tell me what to do .

Mind you that does not mean that I am not mindfull and I try my utmost not to upset them . I am a live and let live person and I mind me own what they want to do is alright by me .

my neighbours moaned and b****ed like **** anyway, even though i had told them we were getting a van, and it would be on the drive for a few weeks so i could sort it out, then would be in storage at airport parking from then on...............

Some people dont know they've got it good, as i could have just left it in the drive, and in this area would have been a bit selfish. Instead i pay £45 a month to store it 8-)

Michele, posh house? the roof's covered in grass! :-D

Surely as long as it's not on the road it's not a problem. Why would it bother the neighbours anyway. I could unerstand it if it was outside their living room window, but the side of the house...Get a life peple

yesmad - 2007-10-01 12:17 PM

I have just read in MMM November edition page 26 that some councils are preventing you parking your A Class M/H outside your house on the road. I know that we had this problem when we owned a caravan. We left ouitside our house for a couple of days so that I could clean it and get it ready for our hols and we were paid a visit from our council asking how long it would be there. Has anyone else had a problem with their A Class? we are thinking of getting an A Class within the next month, and I think I may consider storage.

Steve

8-) Very interesting- did you ask what was their problem as the only law you may be contravening is that of obstructing the highway which is a police matter. Ask them what is the problem. The only time when a council can act is when the area is zoned and all road parking is controlled-signs will be seen as you enter the designated area. Control is then down to the council or their agents as the street parking will have also been decriminalised. By end of 2008 most English counties will have decriminalised parking BUT the regulations must either be the zone mentioned or specific street orders. (!)

mtdloft - 2007-10-01 3:16 PM

Mel E - 2007-10-01 2:29 PM

There is no absolute right to park on any road. I'm sure Michelle's bobby hubby can confirm that the Police can nick any vehicle for obstruction. They don't of course nick every vehicle, but in theory they could.

The offence of unnecessary obstruction is unlikely to be considered unless it prevents the passage of vehicles or pedestrians or access to a drive.

There is a requirement under lighting regs for certain vehicles to display lights when parked at night. This, along with operator licence requirements tends to keep larger commercial vehicles off our residential roads. A motorhome is a passenger vehice and is exempt those regs, but it's as wide as many commercial vehicles and is in my opinion not an appropriate vehicle to leave lying on the road.

Other legislation exists to prevent vehicles being lived in while on the road.

I'm very much a believer that responsible behaviour is preferred to legislative control. With the increase in interest in motorhomes in recent years, if we park them irresponsibly then councils will act to restrict parking.

I'm interested in the attitudes of neighbours regarding parking on drives. I intend to park my motorhome (when I get it ) on my drive, but it would mean I would have to knock down the garage at the side of the house and move it back a bit as part of my house extension plans.

I'm a little concerned about the attitude of neighbours, and am keen to hear of any negative stories from posters who have their motorhome on their drive.

Søren - 2007-10-01 7:01 PM

There is a requirement under lighting regs for certain vehicles to display lights when parked at night. This, along with operator licence requirements tends to keep larger commercial vehicles off our residential roads. A motorhome is a passenger vehice and is exempt those regs, but it's as wide as many commercial vehicles and is in my opinion not an appropriate vehicle to leave lying on the road.

When I was checking this out I came to the conclusion that the restrictions did apply to motorhomes, though I appreciate there are various arguments running about the status of a 'motorcaravan' with regard to the various vehicle laws.

From the Highway Code

"Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and

- facing in the direction of the traffic flow

- in a recognised parking place or lay-by

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights."

(Though when I look at the actual wording of the RVLR, I could interpet that a motorhome was OK.)

Robinhood - 2007-10-01 7:48 PM

Søren - 2007-10-01 7:01 PM

When I was checking this out I came to the conclusion that the restrictions did apply to motorhomes, though I appreciate there are various arguments running about the status of a 'motorcaravan' with regard to the various vehicle laws.

From the Highway Code

"Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and

- facing in the direction of the traffic flow

- in a recognised parking place or lay-by

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights."

(Though when I look at the actual wording of the RVLR, I could interpet that a motorhome was OK.)

Looking at the regs again I believe you are right. In my defence I've never considered the subject until tonight! :$

RVLR regs mentions "passenger vehicles other than buses" as an exemption to lights at night.

A passenger vehicle is defined in C&U regs as a vehicle constructed "solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects"

A motor caravan is defined in the same regs as "A motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation for its users."

So on a second read it would appear that a campervan would not be exempt, because its use is not solely for the carriage of passengers and effects.

I'm glad I'm wrong!

yesmad - 2007-10-01 12:17 PM

Steve

Steve - I think you are very sensible to park your MH outside your house.

It'd make a helluva mess if you try to park it inside your house.........

B-)

caraprof - 2007-10-01 1:38 PM

Maybe Frank, but many of us are fortunate enough to live in a house with a large enough drive to park it. Unlike those of you who have to park outside your terraced house and block your neighbours view. If my neighbour moaned about my van, I would remind him about all his motorbikes lined up across my driveway on occasions and his constant revving up of them whilst he leans over and looks at the engine. Why do bikers always do that?.

Archived