NO GRILL ON LHD MOTORHOMES !!!

sreve

Hi All

I Am after a lhd m/home around 1992 but i need one with a hob and a grill, but as i am sure most of you know they only seem to come with a hob. My question is what can be done to remedy this? I mostly wild camp so nothing that runs off 240 volts will be any good. I Would of thought that this is a common problem with lots of people but i have never noticed the subject raised before. I suppose what i need is to buy a gas grill and have it fitted into one of the overhead locker spaces above the hob, has anybody out there done this or solved the problem any other way?? Any help will be appreciated.

thanks Simon.

A common problem, try someone like caktanks for grill or hob/grill and see whats availible, then when looking at van you will have to assess if its suitable for modding. We currently are looking at alternatives to Adria Twin, and importer of one make is currently enquiring of manufacturer about fitting 'eye level' grill under top cupboard.

If you can, go to the NEC Show from 14 to 19 October. You will be able to see quite a few alternatives there.

There are special grilling pans that fit on a hob and drain any fat away instantly - we use one all the time, at home and in the m'home. The finished article is just like grilling and very healthy. And there are other cooking devices that simulate a grill excellently.

We have a grill and oven but only use either very ocassionally. For toast we have a Camp-a-Toaster that fits on a hob and produces perfect toast every time.

Mel E

====

Yup,

Its about correct. "Continental" vans don,t have grills of ovens as standard and only in recent years has the odd one had a oven. Even today even the most up market (Concorde, Cathargo, Niesman etc) will not have a grill unless its being specially built for the UK market.

Dometic add a grill to their Tec Tower FOC to the motorhome manufacturer if its for the UK market - at least thats what the Dometic salesman told me in Dussledorf.

If you are aiming for a second hand LHD van then budget into your costing retro-fitting a Smev Oven/grill into your costs. Its a better over/grill than that in the Tec tower as well.

Good luck in the quest.

C.

The grill on my AT Cheyenne is next to useless, so we use a "grilling pan" as described by MelE instead. Funny though the oven/hob unit is exactly the same as on my previous Tracker which was OK. Checked everything but no obvious faults.

Guest JudgeMental
sreve - 2007-10-01 3:04 PM

Hi

A grill is important because i like grills , i prefer grilling to frying. It is much healthier and i can do more with a grill and a hob than i can with just a hob.

Link to an example of a griddle pan - a healthy alternative to frying.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7387.aspx

And as Mel suggests the indispensable £5 gas hob toaster an essential item - excellent and very quick toast

This forum is addictive but very helpful! I recently bought a gas hob toaster and it's useless - very very slow. Are there different types? what make is the £5 one you suggest please? Thanks for help

ike

Guest JudgeMental
ike - 2007-10-03 1:26 PM

This forum is addictive but very helpful! I recently bought a gas hob toaster and it's useless - very very slow. Are there different types? what make is the £5 one you suggest please? Thanks for help

ike

they are available at shows and from camping shops. i prefer the flat single slice one - great and quick results. not familiar with Mel's suggestion, but avoid the round upright ones they are useless. is that what you have?

Sreve,

we have a gas oven hob and grill in our Clou liner. We replaced the wardrobe with a fridge freezer and the old fridge space gave us room for the oven etc. We had a new wardrobe built just inside the door by removing a spare captains chair. Got everything now - the work was done by Wyvern accessories at Shepton Mallet.

Hope this helps

VoH

Guest JudgeMental
ike - 2007-10-04 5:45 PM

Yep! I have the round upright one. Uses about a kilo of gas per slice - well it would have, had I waited long enough for it to brown the bread.

Cheers ike

Honestly, throw it away they are junk! :-D

Hi,

we have a CI with a grill retro fitted into the overhead locker over the hob.

Apart from toast and naan bread we don't use it.

It's slow, and above my wife's head height.

So she either walks into the door, or if she's cooking has to climb onto a seat to see into it.

Also the grill pan is dangerous to lift down when it's hot, so even cooking sausage or bacon is out, as the slightest tip or wobble could pour boiling fat everywhere.

The van came with the grill, but from experience I wouldn't pay to have one put in.

(we used to have a british van, grill and oven, at a "proper" surface height, much more useable, so I don't hate them on principle, in fact I thought the CI would be good as it had one, sadly I'm disappointed)

Mike

sreve - 2007-10-01 3:04 PM

Hi

A grill is important because i like grills , i prefer grilling to frying. It is much healthier and i can do more with a grill and a hob than i can with just a hob.

Get a Cadac portable gas BBQ. Got all you need, Wok,BBQ,Griddle,Frying pan, the lot, and it all packs up in a small bag and runs on Camping Gaz. We use ours all the time, in our M/H and Boat.

Archived