A-frame fitters and providers

Ivys

Hi Folks

I have spoken to both Chris Cox and Towtal, and both have a fairly long waiting time for fitting an A-frame. I have also spoken to Car-a-tow and the kit is fairly pricey (over £700 not fitted).

Can anyone suggest any other fitters or suppliers of the equipment?

thanks

Rog

Ivys - 2007-10-02 5:19 PM

Hi Folks

I have spoken to both Chris Cox and Towtal, and both have a fairly long waiting time for fitting an A-frame. I have also spoken to Car-a-tow and the kit is fairly pricey (over £700 not fitted).

thanks

Rog

Hi Roger -

I think if you look back through the veritable mountain of previous threads on this subject, you'll find several references to suppliers, together with a delightfully entertaining "War-And-Peace"-length debate/argument/nuclear meltdown over their alledged legality/illegality.

(And I chose the reference to that particular book both because of it's length, and it's title!).

You can always google for suppliers/fitters near to your home as well.

Happy reading.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Sorry Rog, take no notice, they've been sniffing the Vicks Vapour Rub again!

I've had a look at the 'Business Directory' bit of the O&A site (see list on left) and have come up with the following businesses listed, no doubt some of these will be able to help.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/businessdirectory/default.asp?cate=71

Now for the rest of you, take this as you being severely chastised for not seriously trying to help another motorhomer!!!! :D

Thanks Mel, that helps

Bruce, thanks for your help as well.

BTW for those annoyed at my post I did try Googling for info, but you get loads of rubbish. That's why I decided to post a simple (I thought) request for help. Why make my own mistakes when I can learn from others. My request for help was fairly specific and wasn't about the legalities of A-frames and world wars.

Rog

Sorry Roger - I was genuinely trying to be helpful - I didn't know if you'd seen and read all the other threads here on the subject prior to putting up your own thread on it, or not.

There's an huge amount of info on this already publisehed, if you go back through previous pages of the "Motorhome Matters" section of the form.

I've generally found google to be pretty good usually, but yes, you do really have to be specific on the search words and do repeat searches to sort of home-in on the actual specific topic/info that you are after.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Rog,

I'm really surprised that Towtal are that much less expensive than Car-a-Tow, as I've always found them somewhat pricier.

Are you sure their quote included fitting and wasn't for an unbraked A-Frame?

They are the only two significant suppliers in the UK market, though I believe Car-a-Tow do have agents.

Mel E

====

Mel,

Car-a-tow quoted £935 for my Daihatsu Hijet

(see http://www.vesteweb.co.uk/SouthernTowing/SouthernTowPrices.htm)

Towtal quoted £795 "all inc" and have a reasonably long waiting list (5-6 weeks).

Chris Cox was the most reasonable at £752 all in but has at least a two month waiting list.

I'm gping to phone around tomorrow (that link you sent) to see if I can either purchase the kit or have it fitted much sooner and for a reasonable price.

Rog

• 5 weeks later...
I have had two a frames fitted by Towtal the first one was unbraked £450 fitted and the second and the one i am using now is a braked one £785 fitted and i find the towtal system to be the neatest looking on your car and their service is very good yes they have a waiting time but well worth the wait

Guest Le Thou

Hi Ivys,

Firstly as a relative newcomer to this forum I would like to add that the previous "posters" contributed nothing to your question, and at the risk of upsetting them (do I care?) I thought that these forums were for like minded folk hell bent on enjoying a pastime with like minded contributors to the forum and not stupid comments. If you have nothing pleasant or helpful to add then don't bother ! there really is no need for stupid and childish comments.

No doubt I will now be cast onto the pile of arguers but that's the way I see it, childish.

Anyway to answer your question partly, there is a guy near to me in Lancs that makes towbars for Hymer UK and he has quoted me £300 (fitted) for atowbar for my Autotrail, if you are interested in his details pm me and I will return to you his phone number.

Anthony H

BGD - 2007-10-02 7:31 PM Oh Gawd! Off we go again ladies and Gentlemen..............

This question was a genuine request for information and doesn't need this sort of answer. It is no wonder that this forum is beginning to get a bad name. Mentioned it to one or two people at the NEC and they said they wouldn't touch it with a barge poll because of the rather large number of unhelpful prats involved. Beginning to think they are right.

Hi,

If you want to try and keep the cost down you could try to purchase a used "A" frame manufactured by one of the company you have mentioned and then arrange for them to refit it. We purchased a used one for £250 which was made by protowframes or perhaps better known as CAR-A-TOW from Poole in Dorset and they wanted about £365 to refit it to my car, just remeber if you do purchase a used one make sure you also get the pull-bar that fits to the front of the car with it as if you don't it will cost you extra

hope that helps, we still haven't had it fitted yet and i may put it up for sale

Brian

Ivys - 2007-10-02 5:19 PM

Hi Folks

thanks

Rog

Archived