Taking a small car alomg.

BadBob

Except that a caravan is a much bigger and more unwieldy thing to tow, much more subject to crosswinds and snaking - especially if you don't balance it to give the correct nose weight every time you tow.

Witness the substantial number of inverted caragvans seen on motorways, etc.

Mel E

====

Guest caraprof

However, with the money saved on a typical motorhome, you could buy a superb large towcar and a reasonable-length caravan, thus giving good stability. Many of the problems of snaking and overturning are caused by badly laden outfits with too high a 'van to car-weight ratio.

I prefer my motorhome over a caravan, the main reason being that I hate towing! A friend was diverted off the M6 this summer because of an accident. He followed his sat-nav and ended up down a tiny lane where he couldn't turn his motorhome and towed car. He ended up reversing for a mile, which took him an hour and blocked the road for other local traffic.

I would never tow a small car with a motorhome, in fact I'd never tow anything! If some other form of transport was essential I'd get a M/H with a decent garage and buy a scooter!

BadBob - 2007-10-03 10:24 AM

After reading tons of stuff about a frames. Is it best practice to carry a car on a trailer?

I think you will find - even amongst all the fors and againsts on many other threads - that most people accept that an A-Frame is quite possibly a better, safer way to take a small car along.

For some of us who can no longer cycle or walk very far it is certainly a great addition. Personally, if we know there is good public transport available or the place we intend staying is within our walking range then the car stays at home. As far as scooters or small motorbikes are concerned again it is personal preference. Mine, after many years on the emergency ambulance service is to place as much distance between me and any motor scooter/bike as possible.

I'm afraid it is one of those thigs that you get as much advice on as possible then use your own judgement to decide on what suits your needs best.

Good luck, David

david lloyd - 2007-10-03 4:43 PM

.. after many years on the emergency ambulance service is to place as much distance between me and any motor scooter/bike as possible.

When my sister-in-law was a trainee nurse she and her friends used to refer to motor-cyclists as "organ donors".

Bill - 2007-10-04 4:01 PM

david lloyd - 2007-10-03 4:43 PM

.. after many years on the emergency ambulance service is to place as much distance between me and any motor scooter/bike as possible.

When my sister-in-law was a trainee nurse she and her friends used to refer to motor-cyclists as "organ donors".

Quite true Bill- and not always a situation of their own making either!

David

Guest JudgeMental

when in my early 20's I was hospitalised after a car accident I was the only one in the large ward involved in a car accident. one other from a push bike, all others motorbikes - and some where in a bad way.........

Hi Badbob

When we go away now we very often take our small diesel P106 with us, it is very economical and gives us more scope for sightseeing if we want to.

I drive the motor home and hubby drives the car, it suits us and is ok if both parties are driver's of course.

When we go to Spain or Portugal we hire a small car for the duration of our stay.

We have our bikes and depending on where we stay they get used alot, so we try to be environmental friendly as much as possible.

Happy motor homing and don't forget to Wave (lol)

Comparing towing a car on a trailer to towing a caravan is like comparing a fresh tomato with tinned, similar but totaly different.

The caravan is larger than the car, which I found makes for a tense drive unless on a open road, e.g motorway.

Just an observation but when I towed a caravan, other car drives seemed to think it was open day for cutting you up in desparation to over take you. Very rarely did any one give way or allow you out of, say a side road.

With the m/h its just the opposite.

I remember while loading the car on a site in France, which with a tilt bed trailer takes only a few minutes, I over heard to fellow campers saying to each other " it looked a lot of hard work"

Not as much as seeing one of them a few miles away on cycles trying maintain their balance with a bag of shopping.

When I have offered a lift to a supermarket to someone without mechanical transport, funny old thing I have never been turned down yet.

Archived