Anyone got a usb TV tuner for their laptop?

phantom

Hi just got a laptop to watch DVDs in the van but saw in argos and a computer magazine a tv tuner you plug into your usb port. Don't know much about computers that aren't static so I really need to tap into those of you who use laptops while away.

Please help

Phantom

Yes, I've had one for a couple of years. There are basically 2 types:

- digital only (i.e., Freeview) at around £25 to £35

- digital and analogue at around twice the price, though you can also use this as an analogue input if you want to download your old video tapes into your computer to record onto DVD.

Both types usually work throughout Europe (i.e., they receive French SECAM as well as PAL in its various forms).

We have the Digital only version and it works excellently provided you have a decent signal strength. It will not work well on an indoor aerial unless you are sitting within very few miles of the transmitter.

They mostly come with a software package which allows you to record programmes onto your hard drive and even to set timed recordings (without leaving the computer on if it has a wake-up function).

Picture quality is as good as on a home TV set. And you can even get ones with two tuners so you can watch and record at the same time.

I got mine from Maplins when they has one of their special offers on.

Mel E

====

We have tried using the USB TV adaptors, but find that they're a hassle for us. Perhaps it's because we have four kids so need all the sleeping space. Set up and pack away each time.

Anyway, we bought one of these small TV's in Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=48224&doy=3m10

They were well over £100 but are now £79

It seems to work quite well.

Rog

Hi,

We've got the Freecom digital USB tuner and it is a bit slow to set up as as you move to a new site you have to do a new scan of the freeview channels which takes 5 to 10 minutes. We also have an external aerial on a pole so have to check where nearby aerials are pointing and whether they are vertical or horizontal polarized.

Once it's tuned in (and the channels can't be sorted into a sensible order) it's ok but we've found that the picture freezes for a few seconds whenever the laptop cooling fan comes on! this is despite having a fairly new laptop. Also the sound from the laptop inbuilt speakers isn't too brilliant.

In other words its a bit of a faff to set up compared to a portable TV :-|

Steve

Yes we have got analogue and digital, both work ok, but the sound is pretty poor on the laptop. I did buy some cheap speakers - but you get what you pay for and they are pretty poor too!

But you do need to attach your proper aerial, the ones that come with it are rubbish.

:-S

Carol

carolh - 2007-10-03 5:12 PM Yes we have got analogue and digital, both work ok, but the sound is pretty poor on the laptop. I did buy some cheap speakers - but you get what you pay for and they are pretty poor too! But you do need to attach your proper aerial, the ones that come with it are rubbish. :-S Carol

We bought  one of those cheap audio transmitters that broadcasts to FM radio channels. Ours plugs into the headphone out, but I think you can ge USB versions as well. Gives us sound from the laptop on the RV's stereo system - almost like home theatre!

I carry a cheap USB tuner that I used over here (North America) before I got a LCD/DVD player combo. Since my TV is NTSC, I shipped the old NTSC/PAL/SECAM  USB tuner over (mainly for weather, but ended up using wireless & Blackberry for that anyway) - haven't tried it in Europe yet - do you get any English TV on the continent?

Archived