Trip to Norway

DaveWH

Good evening all.

I have been asked to help run a rally/ tour up to the North Cape of Norway starting in May 2009.

I am sure members of this list have done the same trip. We intend to start from Calais and travel via Germany Denmark and across into Sweden before either going up through Sweden to the North and back via Norway or the other way round.

I am looking for any information as regards planning the trip, what to see,

routes, camp sites etc. What I can not find is a web site that gives details of the ferries within Norway or the vehicle lenghts, prices. etc to get on these ferries.

any information would be gratefully received.

Dave WH

When we went to Norway in 2000 it was not necessary to book the internal ferries. Turn round is quick so you do not have to wait long.

They appear to accomodate the biggest lorries so should have no trouble with a motorhome. Advanced booking was not necessary and I am not sure if it is available.

I am out of date with prices but suggest you you Google for Norwegian ferries or contact the Norwegian Tourist Office.

Not been to Nordkapp, but have been to Norway three times, including well above the Arctic Circle.

Highly recommended.

The Norwegian Tourist office is very good at providing info, but if you search the web, most of what you want is downloadable, if you can find it, including the Ferry timetables and fares.

Be aware that the internal ferries are very affordable up to 6m in length, but above that..... (Similar issue with the bridge crossing from Denmark to Sweden I believe).

I'll do a bit more research on download sites (its some time ago, but I managed to get the timetable/pricing info), and maybe collate some postings I've made elsewhere.

In the meantime, however, you can download a PDF campsite guide from www.camping.no as a good starter.

Did this trip 2 years ago: May/June.

I would suggest you go up through Sweden back thru Norway with a diversion on to the Lofoten Islands if you've got time.

Going the other way round would mean seeing all the best scenery at the START of the trip - bit of an anti-climax at the end.

I will have a look and see if I can find my 'notes' on sites but in general the journey goes something like:

Up thru Sweden the roads are good and get extremely quiet. At one time we went for over an hour without seeing another vehicle. Fuel for the whole trip was available about every 40 or 50 miles. Buy fuel early in the day in remote areas as the pumps are often attached to shops which close early evening.

Get yourselves Scandinavian camping cards, which are like our Camping Carnets - used everywhere and accepted on sites like a passport.

I think we got this thru Swedish Tourist office website. It's free to get but you pay for the current years sticker at your first site. (The card lasts indefinitely but you can buy another sticker another year).

The trees get shorter the further north you go ending up with barren wastes and frozen lakes way up beyond lappland.

Stays light all the time,which you get used to after a while.

Wild camping very easy up north but is being discouraged in the southern, fjord district of Norway because it's much more 'touristy'.

Lofotens well worth a visit - very mystical sort of place- and you can get some good photos around midnight.

Didn't encounter any steep hills, 10 % at most, sometimes long gradients.

If you're into birds take your spotters book - we saw at least 15 to 20 that we'd not seen before.

Not sure where you can find ferry prices. Basically I think they are reasonable up to 6 metres but after that you're a truck !

If you get down to Fjord area before mid june some of the best passes will still be closed.

...and if any of your group are in to fishing they will be in heaven.

I'll see if I can unearth some of my site details.

We landed in Gothenberg went up to top, back down west coast of Norway, via Lofotens, to Bergen, and totalled about 4000 miles.

Follow up to my previous.

If you download from

http://www.fjordnorway.com/uploads/Travel_Guide/2007/en/FN_Travel_Guide_2007_Yellow_Pages.pdf

It provides you a lot of info and a good starter for ferries (outline timetables) wit website links for the various firms. (e.g www.fjord1.no)

If you follow through you will get the detailed timetables and rates from the various websites (be aware the car based ones on the above download aren't valid above 6m)

Touist office used to issue a single booklet of timetables/fares, but I think on our last visit it had been split into various ferry companies.

Guest JudgeMental

Thats a long drive! 2089 miles one way! from Calais to the Barents sea - and you don't say what time you have available. Not been to Nordcap but up to lapland on three occasions, twice DFDS via Harwich - Denmark. and once Stenna Line fast ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland. happy to help with specific questions :-D

Don,t forget that in Norway they have currently three different mains distribution systems. If you use mains hookup and your (if you have one) reverse polarity indicator comes on its best to ignore it as reversing the polarity is unlikely to extinguish it. Just be sure that the earth connections are good and check that your van has an unballance type mains circuit breaker fitted. Most do.

Keep warm

C.

Guest JudgeMental

Six weeks will be fine; I have not visited Norway or the extreme north only Sweden. But intend to go again it was a real adventure. Beautiful lakes and forests and mountains very peaceful and untouched a bit like the American west must off been with lots of logging towns. a real contrast from the Med our usual stomping ground. The rough guide to Sweden is essential.

First time we went in 2000 we used the new bridge and what an impressive structure it is. Since then I have used the Fredrikshaven ferry

which I think is still more popular as possibly cheaper but best to check. It is a turn up and go operation hardly any waiting.

Camping was quite reasonable and fuel as well. Sites where of a good standard some basic and some with commercial ( super quick) dishwashers and full kitchens. Campsite books free from first site you visit they have colour maps as well. Best value was to have main meal at lunch time 'dagens rätt' or “dish of the day “normally a 2 or 3 coarse meal, Lots of good value self service restaurants on main routes.

Highlights for us: everything!

Viking museum, Denmark:

http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/default.asp?contentsection=3964B7C731974A1DA15F5741EA743FE9

Orsund Bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresund_Bridge

Lake Varna

Stockholm

Coast north of Goteborg

Coast north of Stockholm

Ostersund

Orsa Bear Park: http://www.orsagronklitt.se/bjornpark_GB.asp

Believe me, feeding time is not for the squeamish! a whole dead cow is brought out on a tractor and dumped and lots of bears descend on it- it’s like a vampires feast,

The wilderness way: a beautiful route

http://books.google.com/books?id=CDyVKgVIW24C&pg=PA462&lpg=PA462&dq=wilderness+way+sweden&source=web&ots=riVp3eCHBI&sig=XSQgeX6_IELkqVjY8i5C_OZ8v-g#PPA462,M1

solleftea: the river fishing we watched here was stunning, salmon 3-4 ft long don’t know the weight. really interesting to watch a real battle.

Sami Indian villages; up in Lapland. reindeer, Moose etc.....

Hope this helps, Eddie

I think I would endorse what JM said about Sweden.

When the ferry to Gothenberg was so much cheaper than to Bergen, we decided to visit Sweden rather than re-visit Norway (and if we didn't like it move on into Norway). In the end we spent two weeks (Spring Bank Holiday) in Sweden, and loved every minute.

We really enjoyed Stockholm, and in particular the Vaasa Museum (eat your heart out Mary Rose).

We also got as far as Orsa, and the bear park. I'd agree about the 'American frontier town look' - I fully expected to see tumbleweed coming down the street at Orsa. (AFAIR it had a particulalry attractive campsite on a lake with free Sauna facilities - and no-one else on it while we were there).

The 'dagens rätt' was good value everywhere we had it, and we found the supermarket costs quite reasonable. Food and drink otherwise (i.e. served as opposed to bought) was pretty expensive. (It did appear, however, that alcohol bought from the state monopoly was expensive but not prohibitive - only very weak beer available in the supermarkets). We did a lot of barbecueing, and the meat was particulalrly good. I understand there were/are local laws on the non-use of preservatives - anyway, something was definitely different.

Travel in Sweden will be generally much quicker than Norway, the roads are very good, light on traffic, and uninterrupted by ferries (but watch out for the elks!).

I'm not sure whether I would choose to go up via Sweden and down through Norway, or vice versa. One will leave you the later memories of the spectacular Norwegian scenery, the other the enjoyment/challenge of heading North through it.

As for Norway, what can you say - it could exist simply to satisfy motorcaravanners.

The roads have improved dramatically since we were first there. Investment of the oil income has led to surfacing improvements and a host of new tunnels and bridges (the first time we went some 17 years ago or so, there was no viable all year road route from Oslo to Bergen - a reliance on shipping routes in winter!).

The change means that (though somewhat expensive by UK standards, there is much more choice for provisions - small supermarkets in most communities now), which makes life considerably more easy. Eating out is still prohibitively expensive however, and alcohol (exception is reasonable beer in supermarkets) likewise.

The further North we went last time, the fewer garages took my Visa card for fuel (it appeared that some didn't take credit card at all, and some didn't have capability to accept non-Norwegian cards - others had experienced the same). No problems anywhere, however, with ATM withdrawals, and machines widely available.

If you head North, you can't fail to enjoy yourself, but the following attractions are well worth visiting

Bergen

Flam (campsite, and a ride on the Flam railway - head north from here through the worlds longest road tunnel - no toll)

Geiranger (sit on the fjordside campsite at midnight, reading a book and seeing liners - in our case the QE2 - miles from the open sea)

Alesund (especially if it is sunny) - Use the Trollstiggen Road to get there

Narvik (for all the historical associations - though it is still a bit industrial)

The Vesteralen and Lofoten islands - just do it and you'll see why.

Whilst the roads are all good, I can't agree with the comments about gradient, some of the roads are very steep, in and out of Geiranger for instance, but easily sustainable. Don't underestimate the distances, and once North of Trondheim, there's a lot of 'nothing' to the Arctic Circle.

Whoops ! Yep - I forgot in my earlier post about the gradients in the fjord region - notably Geiranger and Trollstiggen.

I was really thinking about the road down from North Cape which, as you say is empty, but very scenic.

Another place worth seeing is the Tannforsen Falls in Sweden,near Duved, on the E14 west of Ostersund. We camped overnight fairly nearby in the village of Ann.

Another suggestion I would make is about clothing.

We found it best to use the 'layer' system rather than heavy coats.

At times we wore 5 layers, at North Cape where we encountered horizontal snow showers, but by the time we got down to Bergen we were in a heat wave ( which we were told is a bit unusual), and down to one layer.

On the way down we have several very pleasantly warm days.

From Northcape down south to the Arctic Circle, via Lofotens Islands,and taking our time, took us about 12 days.

You can 'cut the corner off' and save quite a bit of mileage when leaving the Lofotens by getting a ferry from Svolvaer down to Skutvik on the mainland.

Archived