parking a motorhome in blackpool

breakaleg

I read in the cc magazine that motorhomes could no longer park in their council car park's, so i thought i would email them my self to find out for sure.

here is their reply;

Mr. Walker,

Motorhomes may park on Central Coach Park or Sandsway Coach Park, you must use a coach bay and the coach rate is chargeable, vehicles must be fully within a parking bay for a concession to be allowed. Blue Badge Holders do not receive a concession in a coach park, all time is chargeable.

Many Thanks

Parking Services

look's like were now no longer welcome, unless we pay a premium.

pete

How much is it to park a coach? It might be cheaper as they are talking about concessions *-)

Edited to say -

Perhaps not, it is £5 for 4 hours and £10 for 24 hours.

It is £20 for 72 hours, but I can't find out whether you can stay in your motorhome overnight.

J9withdogs - 2007-10-04 2:06 PM

It is £20 for 72 hours, but I can't find out whether you can stay in your motorhome overnight.

When I enquired for the web site, Blackpool Council said that staying in a motorhome overnight is not allowed.

Graham

go to fleetwood instead - if you really must visit Blackpool you can always ride a tram.

or St Annes - Lytham

it used to be possible to street park in some areas along the front at Blackpool, but they've never been very welcoming

mind you - haven't been near that stretch of coast for a few years - it's a long way from york :D :D

B-)

twooks - 2007-10-07 11:20 PM

mind you - haven't been near that stretch of coast for a few years - it's a long way from york :D :D

B-)

We took my Mum to see the lights a couple of years ago. Wouldn't bother again. Much rather have a day out in York :-D

Graham

twooks - 2007-10-07 11:20 PM

go to fleetwood instead - if you really must visit Blackpool you can always ride a tram.

or St Annes - Lytham

it used to be possible to street park in some areas along the front at Blackpool, but they've never been very welcoming

B-)

i think that the ban is on the whole of the fylde coast, not just blackpool.

pete

breakaleg - 2007-10-08 9:48 AM

i think that the ban is on the whole of the fylde coast, not just blackpool.

pete

Some confusion here perhaps.

Fylde Council no longer allows motorhomes to park in their car parks but Blackpool Council is a separate entity with different rules.

As I understand it there is still on street parking available in both the Fylde Council and Blackpool Council areas.

Graham

Guest starspirit

A couple of years ago we had no problem finding on street parking in Blackpool in the evening whilst we saw the lights on foot.

You might have to park some way from the seafront and walk a bit as it can be difficult at tims but the only way to park overnight seems to be on a site as off site camping is discouraged.

We just stayed a day, saw the lights in the evening then went off somewhere more welcoming to spend our cash.

We felt that the lights are worth seeing but not worth staying several days for - but then we all have different ideas!

i feel much the same as you, but isn't this the thin end of the wedge?

blackpool today, everwhere else tomorrow? unlike france and germany where you find yourself welcome.

i have difficulty walking so i like to park near where i would like to visit.

pete

breakaleg - 2007-10-08 11:53 AM

i feel much the same as you, but isn't this the thin end of the wedge?

blackpool today, everwhere else tomorrow? unlike france and germany where you find yourself welcome.

i have difficulty walking so i like to park near where i would like to visit.

pete

That's why I keep banging on at people to lobby local authorities near where they live to provide more facilities for motorhomes.

Once a few authorities do so and start reaping the benefits then they will start talking about it and others might follow suit.

Graham

Guest starspirit

Blackpool is not to my taste either but I don't think it is quite that bad Chas, and the illuminations are worth a visit if only once just to have seen them!

Whatever else, the thousands of light bulbs are a remarkable way of generating CO2 and heating the sky with the power they consume.

But are the lights more environmentally friendly than a convoy of diesel guzzling Motorhomes I wonder?

After all millions visit Blackpool every year so what do they need the likes of a few of us for to spend our cash as well if we are not going to use the hotels or B&Bs, and therein I reckon lies the crux of it.

Hoteliers run Blackpool and they appear to be opposed to all forms of mobile holidays.

Hi I go to see the light's, usualy after visiting the lakes, (on the way home) it brings out the child in me, now on the wrong side of fifty, i need all the help i can get.

it's not to everyones taste, but you try getting on the cc site even during the week.

and it is mostly motorhomes on site.

pete

breakaleg - 2007-10-08 12:53 PM

i have just emailed the councilers who sit on a tourisim comittee, had no reply yet though.

also the general council contact and fylde tourisim.

pete

Well done Pete. Hope you get some positive responses.

Graham

Hi all, i have just recived a reply from a blackpool counciler, posted below.

Hello Peter

I've had a response from head of parking services, Bill Sheldon, and his response is as follows:

we are quite friendly toward motor homes and parking is relatively cheap,Mr Walker may park in any P/D bay on the prom providing his vehicle fits in a bay at normal P/D charges or free if displaying disabled clock/badge correctly, alternatively he may park on Central Coach station /Local car park which is part of Central in a car bay the charge being up to 8 hrs £6.60 or if in designated disabled bays free for first three hrs and thereafter normal charges apply top up tickets may be purchased on arrival .

I would strongly recommend if suitable to his needs parking in either Banks St/Gynn/Starrgate where 12hrs will only cost £2.20 or free if displaying clock/badge I hope on receiving these costs he will use the facilities available or should he wish any other information to ring me direct on 01253-476425

I hope that clears up a few points for you and I hope you will visit Blackpool soon

regards

Cllr. Julian Mineur

Greenlands Ward

Blackpool Council

Tel: 01253 590469

Mob: 079000 86761

pete

Guest starspirit
I wonder if those very nice people in Blackpool would confirm their Town's motorhome friendliness by putting some motorhome parking direction signs on the main routes in please?

just had another reply, in the same vien as the last, have asked them if they thought the council would consider turning the starrgate car park into an french style aier with a bourne, but i'm not holding my breath, but out of 12 councilors i have had only two replys so far, although the last one said that she had a similar enquiery about a month ago, so the more that email blackpool borough council, who knows we may get a result, which may in turn start the ball rolling.

pete

Guest starspirit
There may be some mileage in referring to David Lloyd's recent success with Guisborough as perhaps Blackpool and Guisborough councils could communicate advantageously for all?

Blackpool was always 'less welcoming' to motorhomes than the other towns along the Fylde coast.

As I said - haven't been for a while but it used to be possible to park at Cleveleys - access can be gained by driving over the tram tracks towards the prom just to the south of Cleveleys else drive to cleveleys - head west and when you can go no further head south. not far to the trams.

B-)

Archived