Aerial alignment for Freeview

Arcadian

The biggest problem with a signal meter for terrestrial TV is the sheer number of transmitters dotted around the country. I can put up my aerial and get a signal from a transmitter when the aerial is almost 180 degrees facing away from it. With a good aerial it is very difficult to distinguish between the different transmitters signals with a meter which is why the only ones available are so expensive. I looked into having one made so that I could bring it to market but the technicalities are just way too difficult to overcome without very expensive electronics.

D.

starspirit - 2007-10-06 8:04 PM

You might try switching the TV on Digital, selecting any known channel (I use BBC1), then from the menu choose signal strength.

It shows two bar type percentage readings (even with no signal) and you just wiggle and twist the aerial until both the signal strength and signal quality readings are at their highest.

And best of all it don't cost nowt and don't need setting up!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Martin

Guest starspirit
colin - 2007-10-06 8:45 PM

If you move from one transmitter area to another you have to retune digital, at moment you can tune in on analogue then align arial to get best signal then tune in DTT, when analogue is switched off how do you get arial fine tuned enough to retune DTT? as if you are a little way out you often get nothing, thats when a meter is needed

Agreed but often, and if you don't go far, some of the previously stored channels will at least give you a picture to start on and you can fiddle around with the aerial from there.

You might reach a point where there is no more room to store channels in which case you have to delete some or all prior to reloading - depends on the TV.

colin - 2007-10-06 8:45 PM

starspirit - 2007-10-06 8:04 PM

You might try switching the TV on Digital, selecting any known channel (I use BBC1), then from the menu choose signal strength.

It shows two bar type percentage readings (even with no signal) and you just wiggle and twist the aerial until both the signal strength and signal quality readings are at their highest.

And best of all it don't cost nowt and don't need setting up!

If you move from one transmitter area to another you have to retune digital, at moment you can tune in on analogue then align arial to get best signal then tune in DTT, when analogue is switched off how do you get arial fine tuned enough to retune DTT? as if you are a little way out you often get nothing, thats when a meter is needed

Colin, I think you are right. Even though my digibox has a signal meter, it's difficult to read the output on my flat-screen TV (attached to a wall without a swivel bracket) while my head is in the wardrobe (haha!) twizzling the aerial tube. A meter would be much easier.

Martin

davenewell@home - 2007-10-06 9:06 PM

The biggest problem with a signal meter for terrestrial TV is the sheer number of transmitters dotted around the country. I can put up my aerial and get a signal from a transmitter when the aerial is almost 180 degrees facing away from it. With a good aerial it is very difficult to distinguish between the different transmitters signals with a meter which is why the only ones available are so expensive. I looked into having one made so that I could bring it to market but the technicalities are just way too difficult to overcome without very "expensive electronics.

D.

I see what you mean - this map illustrates it well: http://tinyurl.com/2drl7r but you will see that the distribution of Freeview transmitters is sparse in Scotland and northen England. To be honest, I just don't see how Freeview will ever work well in these upland areas.

Re your own research: did you look at the "DigiAir Aerial Meter" suggested by Colin?

Martin

Yes Martin but at that price I decided it was too expensive for the majority of users. Its difficult to explain to some why they need to pay over a hundred quid for a meter for terrestrial when they can get one for satellite for under forty so I decided not to bother. I tend to use a couple of methods for locating the best direction for my aerial.

1/ if you know the area you are going to then check first on the web for the location of transmitters in that area, its then quite easy to determine the correct direction for your aerial.

2/ look around the area to see which direction the majority of aerials are pointing and set yours to the same.

3/ chuck the aerial up and tune the analogue signals first, then you can turn the aerial to get the clearest picture and then you can tune the digital. i accept that this method will only work for as long as there is an analogue signal to tune to first and I confess I haven't been to the wilds of bonny Scotland yet.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-10-07 5:00 PM

Yes Martin but at that price I decided it was too expensive for the majority of users. Its difficult to explain to some why they need to pay over a hundred quid for a meter for terrestrial when they can get one for satellite for under forty so I decided not to bother. I tend to use a couple of methods for locating the best direction for my aerial.

1/ if you know the area you are going to then check first on the web for the location of transmitters in that area, its then quite easy to determine the correct direction for your aerial.

2/ look around the area to see which direction the majority of aerials are pointing and set yours to the same.

3/ chuck the aerial up and tune the analogue signals first, then you can turn the aerial to get the clearest picture and then you can tune the digital. i accept that this method will only work for as long as there is an analogue signal to tune to first and I confess I haven't been to the wilds of bonny Scotland yet.

D.

I've used 2/ and 3/ myself.

If you have not been north of the border as yet it's time you came up here to sample the Scottish delights - food, fresh air and fantastic scenery!

Martin

Alan,

I was in the IoW (South coast) in September and failed to get Freeview. But one of my few successes has been in Hants.

You are right, Freeview is certainly not up to speed yet and will not be until the old analogue system is switched off.

Martin

i agree we have just spent the weekend at corfe castle, for tv the wrong side of the purbeck hills,digital not a sniff, analogue acceptable, the long term caravans had aerials on 10ft poles maybe that was a clue

bigal55 - 2007-10-07 7:27 PM

.......the long term caravans had aerials on 10ft poles maybe that was a clue

That ceratinly was.

I fear that Freeview will be a big disappointment to many after the switch-over. Hopefully free-to-air satellite reception will be a good alternative by then.

Martin

Guest starspirit

Where we live we can't even get a decent analogue signal as they have not yet had long enough to get a mast in place and as for digital - forget it - so we use satellite all the time and it works well and is totally reliable.

Maybe that is the best way forward for motor homes too?

starspirit - 2007-10-08 11:51 AM

Where we live we can't even get a decent analogue signal as they have not yet had long enough to get a mast in place and as for digital - forget it - so we use satellite all the time and it works well and is totally reliable.

Maybe that is the best way forward for motor homes too?

I'm sure you're on the right track. We may be able to be able to ditch the arch-maniplator Rupert Murdoch soon too. More and more channels are becoming available on FTA and when contracts are up for renewal, we may well see channels 4 and 5 go FTA too.

I have only had a FTA box and Multimo dish for 2-4 months but I have yet to visit a site where I can't use it successfully.

Martin

Archived