User payload Swift Sundance

jjv

I am thinking of buying a Swift Sundance 530LP. Please can any owner of this model tell me if they have a problem with the low payload margin ( 220 Kg). After extras are fitted, such as awning, microwave, and camera, is there enough margin left to be able to a reasonable "supermarket shop", carry a bit of water and still travel?

Guest JudgeMental
jjv - 2007-10-05 10:57 AM

I am thinking of buying a Swift Sundance 530LP. Please can any owner of this model tell me if they have a problem with the low payload margin ( 220 Kg). After extras are fitted, such as awning, microwave, and camera, is there enough margin left to be able to a reasonable "supermarket shop", carry a bit of water and still travel?

that is a very low payload. I would look elsewhere.

Hi jjv

Don't forget that all figures stated are normally +/- 5%. The max weight of the Swift is 3000kg (from MMM mag) making the unladen weight approx 2600 Kg (payload, driver[75Kg], water etc removed) which means the actual unladen weight could be 130 kg higher leaving you with only 90Kg payload - just enough for your awning, microwave and camera and not much else.

We weighed all our kit ( walking boots, shoes, cloths, towels, maps, books, bikes etc. ) and found they produced a much higher figure than we originally estimated.

I always add the 5% tolerance with the weight of all items be carried and don't forget the passengers, then check that I have a suitable margin of at least 50Kg.

220 Kg is not enough in my view.

If buying new, is there a chassis upgrade to 3500Kg available, which would remove all the problems for normal use.

Hi we had a 530L High Profile not the same I know but the payload is. The payload on a 530 is low and carefull storing is a must. We used the overcab as a storage area even to the point of taking the spare wheel off underneath and putting that up there to. I'm lucky because at work we have a axle weighbridge so I could play and get the best balance. I found that we could carry half a tank of clean water,full gas, full diesel, food,clothes,bedding and making sure the waste tank was empty with 2 people and that was it top weight. The van had awning and a tow bar so we could take the motorbike/trailer. As you do not have a overcab this could be even worse for you as you cannot get enough weight forward onto the front axle so it shares the load. We moved up to a 590 and do not have this problem just a slightly longer van.

Alan

Thanks for the replies, you have all confirmed what I thought. I cant understand Swift group producing vehicles, even advertising extras (to add more weight), when they are of little practical use, the danger being that a buyer with no previous experience, may be oblivious to the limits and just "bung everything in". I will change tactics!

Archived