Reverse camera

Guest Le Thou

Guest Le Thou

We have on our motorhome a "fitted" flip down tv which acts as the reverse camera, dvd,tv. I am sure that I read it on a thread somwere but can't find it, that you can have the reverse camera facillity on permanently whilst in forward motion. I don't want to hear about the legalities of this just that is it possible??

Thanks guys

Hi LeThou, it would help a little if you told us what your motorhome is as they don't all use the same brand of reversing camera/TV/DVD systems. As far as legalities goes, in general as long as it doesn't obstruct the driver's view through the area of windscreen swept by the wipers then there should be no problems. Unless of course you were watching TV/DVDs on it while driving but as you made no mention of that in your post I can't see that you want to ;-) .

D.

There is no problem whatsoever in having a rear facing camera view displayed to the driver in a monitor when driving. Totally legal as its a driver aid. In my view a rear facing camera system is far to valuable to be just used only when reversing.

What is not allowed is the driver having sight of the screen when something other than a driver aid is displayed.

The position of the monitor must not obstruct the drivers view through the screen or adversely affect proper use of the vehicles controls or be a distraction.

Electrically is a doddle if one has the wiring diagram for the system. Have you looked in the owners handbook? Autotrail traditionally include a clutch of diagrams in the back. If you can scan these in and post it on here (or PM or email it) then either Dave Newell who is familiar with such things or myself at least can most likely tell you what to do.

If you are not confident with electrics then leave it to a professional.

Guest starspirit

It is very simple.

Switch the screen on from the main box in the top locker.

Select reversing camera from the on screen menu and remember to reverse the TV image also from the menu and it will work fine.

You can then remove the internal mirror which may well then allow the concertina blind to lift fully.

As I can't see anything in the internal mirror anyway because the kitchen window is too small and too high (Tracker) a permanent rear view camera - albeit very short range - is more use than a mirror with no view.

• 5 years later...

Help Required

I have broken, beyond repair, the bracket holding my Kampa CCD camera to the van. Kampa no longer supply this particular model so I was wondering if I can fit any other CCD camera to the system.

Not a very technical nor practical person but I could fit a camera but not a complete system.

I had a twin camera unit fitted to my Elddis 155. System was supplied by Grade uk. 1 camera looks back and 1 down. The screen clips onto the original Peugeot interior mirror and is very neat and tidy. You can also flick between cameras via a remote control

Andy

JudgeMental - 2012-10-09 4:48 PM

Le Thou and Starspirit.......names from the past. Not surprising as thread dates from 2007!lol

Yes Eddie, I was happily reading this thread and then saw the response from 'starspirit' and only then realised it was so old! :D

I am baffled as to why Nexxo added his request for help to a 5 year old posting.

Anyway the following might help.

All wired CCD cameras will give out a composite video signal. And usually require 12 Volt Dc to operate.

So in theory any CCD camera should work.

The problem may arise with the connector and cable. The cable from the camera is usually short (10cm) and terminates in one of the following:

A 4 pin mini DIN connector

A 4 pin aviation type connector (with locking screw)

Splits out to an RCA (Phono) connector and 2.1mm jack for the power.

It is not simply a matter of finding a camera with the same connectors but also with the same pin-outs in the connectors.

Connect 12V DC to the video line and you stand a good chance of damaging a new camera. If you know the pin-out connectors on your old camera it is possible to make up a cable to match any new camera.

PM me if you need more info on pin-outs and type of connectors.

nexxo - 2012-10-09 3:08 PM

Help Required

I have broken, beyond repair, the bracket holding my Kampa CCD camera to the van. Kampa no longer supply this particular model so I was wondering if I can fit any other CCD camera to the system.

Not a very technical nor practical person but I could fit a camera but not a complete system.

As AliB advises, the primary challenge will be connecting a replacement camera to your existing system rather than the camera itself.

There's advice on buying a camera here http://tinyurl.com/92dbmws and the different types of connection are mentioned. As AliB says, if you can identify a CCD camera with a connector that's identical on a pin-to-pin functionality basis (ie. the purpose of each pin on the replacement camera's connector is exactly the same as that of each equivalen-position pin on your present camera's connector) the replacement camera should work.

If I were in your shoes (and the existing camera had been working OK) I'd be very reluctant to accept that a mounting-bracket could be "broken beyond repair".

If the mounting-bracket is the usual bent-metal type, fabricating another bracket should be straightforward. If the damage were in the camera-body itself where the mounting-bracket attaches, it should be fixable somehow, even if it meant 'gluing' the camera to the bracket with an appropriate adhesive.

It should be cheaper (and probably simpler) to deal with the broken bracket than to replace the camera and, if replacing the camera proves to be a non-starter, then you'll either have to remount the original camera or replace the complete system.

I suggest you concentrate on how your present camera might be remounted and leave trying to identify a replacement on the back-burner for now.

Thanks AliB and Derek for your advise.

The reason this is posted on a five year old thread is that I used the search threads and selected what I thought to be the best thread title for my needs. Anyway I worked out OK so I hope the same will apply to my query.

AliB I will PM you the details as I understand them, but "understand " may just be a bit of an over statement..

Archived