tyre pressures

nippermotorhome

Weigh the axles separately when fully loaded then contact your tyre manufacturer with the weights. Assuming your tyres are from one of the major manufacturers they will give you the correct tyre pressures to use. Its worth checking the date code on your tyres and if they're over 6 Years old replace them.

D.

The original tyres on a 1998 Legend were likely to have been Michelin XCA 225/70 R15C pattern. These tyres were 6-ply rated (6PR) and the inflation pressures recommended for the Ford chassis' maximum authorised axle-loadings were 41psi (front axle) and 53psi (rear axle). Similar pressures will be appropriate for same-size 6PR tyres from alternative manufacturers. If your present tyres are 8-ply rated (8PR), then 41psi(F) and 61psi® would be appropriate for the chassis' maximum authorised axle-loadings.

For optimised inflation pressures do as Dave Newell suggests - weigh the motorhome and seek advice from the tyre manufacturer. Having said that, my 1997 Herald used the same chassis as your Legend and I found the pressures I've mentioned provided a perfectly acceptable ride even when the Herald was lightly loaded.

nippermotorhome:

Having managed to track down an ancient tyre-pressure article of mine, I find that my earlier posting wasn't quite accurate.

The basis of my Herald (and of a 1998 A-S Legend) was the long wheelbase FT-150 Transit chassis having a maximum authorised overall weight of 3300kg and maximum authorised axle-loadings of 1600kg (front axle) and 2000kg (rear axle). The 6PR tyres originally fitted to the chassis were normally Michelin 225/70 R15C 109R "XC4S" pattern. The recommended tyre inflation-pressures were 41psi (front axle) and 53psi (rear axle), while the maximum inflation-pressure for this tyre is 55psi.

The 41psi/61psi figures I gave when 8PR tyres were employed in fact relate to the Transit FT-190 chassis that has higher overall and rear-axle authorised weight limits. I'm doubtful that any Auto-Sleepers (or Heralds) were ever built on that chassis, but, even if they were, it would have been after 1998. You can confirm the chassis-type from your Legend's VIN-plate (in the cab door-well on the passenger side if my memory serves me well). If it shows the 3300kg/1600kg/2000kg limits I mentioned in my previous paragraph, then the chassis is a FT-150.

The Michelin "XCA" was an 8-ply rated (8PR) tyre and was superseded around Year 2000 by the present Michelin "Agilis 81" pattern. In 2002 I swapped my Herald's original XC4S tyres for 225/70 R15C 112R Agilis 81 and, having weighed the motorhome, sought advice from Michelin regarding what pressures I should employ. I note from my article that I ended up using 46psi (front axle) and 57psi (rear axle), and I recall that these pressures provided good handling and a comfortable ride. The maximum inflation-pressure for this size Agilis 81 is 65psi.

It needs saying that requesting tyre-pressure advice on forums carries inherent risks. Your Legend is a fair bit longer and heavier than my Herald was and I've no idea what accessories have been added to your motorhome, or how many passengers or how much 'stuff' you normally carry, etc. For example, transporting a scooter on a rear-mounted rack would increase a motorhome's rear-axle load considerably and tyre-pressures would need to be adjusted accordingly. Such variables mean that you'd be wise to check your Legend's overall and axle-weights when you get the opportunity and you may find the following link useful:

http://www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridgeshome.htm

Archived