sites in Austria & Switzerland

Guest ajd3

I had posted this in the 'Hints & Tips forum but have been advised to put it here. If you have replied on the other post, thanks & I've got the info you gave.

Has anybody been to Austria or Switzerland with their camper? We are tentatively planning to go next June (depends on the results of the next 3 games in the Euro 2008 qualifying). The cities being used for the games are: Geneva; Bern; Basel; Zurich; Innsbruck; Salzburg; Vienna & Klagenfurt. We are trying to do a little forward planning, so we can book up as soon as the draw is made. We will be staying in the one place for about 14 days, so are looking for a site with electric hook-up close to public transport/town and that also has tent pitches as we expect to meet up with tenting friends.

BTW is there any issues with reversed polarity in Austria and/or Switzerland, we recently came across a couple of sites with this problem in France. (I've read posts on the subject but don't fully understand what I need to get round the problem - replies seemed a bit technical for me)

Any info gratefully received, thanks

Hi ajd (again!)

Reversed polarity: unfortunately you do come across this from time to time, the best bet is to make yourself up a reversed polarity connector, we have a 'mini' extension lead, basically the same as your normal electric hookup lead, with the normal ends on, but only about a foot in length, that way if we come across a site with reversed polarity we can plug this in first, then the normal lead which will then be correctly fed. If you have to use a 2 pin adaptor, plug that in first, then the reversing lead, then the main lead. To test for reversed polarity you need a tester, you can buy these from motorhome dealers, off ebay etc, for around £5.00 or so, they will tell you if there is a problem with reversed polarity, no earth etc.

for Salzburg we always stay here

http://www.panorama-camping.at/engl/indexeng.htm

really nice food and bar. Owners nice. Pitches terraced, and all have view of salzburg. The toilets a bit worn, but are supposed to be refurbed end of this year. Its very nicely placed for getting into city. 5 min walk down hill to bus stop, then it takes about 10-15 mins to the centre.

Archived