Autocruise takeover

Willis

Guest starspirit

I have yet to see any real advantage from the Auto Sleepers take overs other than a seeming loss of identity?

Certainly the individuality and durability of the brand does not seem to be as good as it used to be, albeit AS vans are now more modern looking inside.

Whether or not that is a good thing is of course subjective but in their drive for new younger customers AS seems to losing it's core market of us oldies.

Maybe that is not such a bad thing - I don't know?

Never having owned a Swift but when I compare the anecdotal experiences of Swift owners regarding Swift's customer care with my own and anecdotal experience with Auto Cruise I have to wonder what the future holds for Auto Cruise?

However development of new and reliable products is very expensive and the strength gained from such investment being spread over several brands may well justify such a takeover.

Lets hope the best of each survives.

And at least it is all BRITISH - so far.

On the bright side perhaps Autocruise will now be able to afford to invest in some Fiat chassis to overcome their Peugeut backlog. Some units up to a years delay now. Coincidentally, the smokey 3.0Ltr engine experienced during the recent MMM Augusta test might be a clue as to why this is.

AutoSleepers is already part of the Italian SEA Group (Gruppo SEA) which owns:

Elnagh, Mobilvetta, Mc Louis, Miller, Joint, Dream, Sharky, Autosleepers, Marquis and Orian.

This is simply part of the continuing consolidation in the industry. The three big Continental Groups - Trigano, Hymer and SEA - already control over 50% of motorhome sales and it's set to get bigger.

I'll be quite surprised if there is an independent, UK-owned, converter of any size in 5 years time. And expect your motorhome to be built in Eastern Europe! Trigano are building a huge facility there, capable of turning out some 40,000 motorhomes a year (and 100,000 trailers). Cheaper labour is important in an industry that is still quite labour intensive.

Mel E

====

Guest starspirit

Absolutely right Mel - I too expect the UK motorhome industry to follow the car and motorbike industries in time.

So what about a Korean or Chinese factory then - just look at how quickly Hyundai and Kia and some of the myriad Chinese car makers are learning and evolving?

Interesting times eh?

Archived