fridge burner jet replacement.

Mick H.

Before I go out and buy a new fridge, having been told by caravan companies that once the burner stops working the fridge probably needs replacing. The cost new seven or eight hundred poundsI thought that replacihg the burner jet might be worth a try, five or six pounds.I've found the burner jet but information on doing the job isnt so readilly available.Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.

Mick H.

Guest starspirit

Access depends on where the fridge vents are and their size but one can usually remove the lower grill and frame and get at the burner. It is a bit fiddly and can be a bit of a s#d to get apart and reassemble but that apart is not too hard a DIY job.

However as ever with gas if you don't have the experience this might not be such a good time to gain it!

I would be more inclined to go to a decent Caravan servicing workshop or two and seek their advice before doing anything else because whilst it may well be the jet and/or burner it may well not be.

Let me tell you a story!

Had a nice long week end in the New Forest - apart for that the Fridge did not work. No hookup so it was reliant on gas. It all seemed perfect just 2 weeks previously. The Saturday night steak was a little "well hung" but cooked OK and ate well and we had no ill effects afterwards. But why?. The electronic ignition worked as it should, hold the button if for 20 seconds for the sensor to warm up and it remained lit.

On return home I removed the outside vent covers, the fridge door, the 4 plastic plugs, 2 each side inside the fridge and removed the 4 screws securing the fridge to the enclosure and eased it out part way. I then after noting all the positions of the wire colours disconnected the 4 X DC wires, three X AC wires, turned OFF the gas and disconnected the gas pipe. The fridge was then removed and re-installed on a table in the garage. I connected it up to another gas bottle with another regulator and ran it for 2 hours, same result, tepid ice box only. I researched a replacement fridge which was nearly £900 from Autotrail or £450 from an internet outlet. I phoned Dometic who suggested an alternative fridge vendor who I emailed. They responded within 30 minutes (on a Sunday) and I eventually spoke to them who suggested that I replace my old fridge with the latest model from Dometic as my model had not been made for over 4 years and any warranty that I may be offered would not have a Dometic support. I connected another mains cable and ran it off the mains for 2 hours. BINGO it works OK, ice in ice box.

I removed the three screws and the cover off the burner unit. I connected a temporary gas pipe to the feed pipe for the burner unit and light the gas. The flame was a nice little blue one. Two hours later the ice box was wet and tepid. I undid one screw and lowered the gas burner, undid a clamping screw and removed the flame sensor and spark head, finally undooing the gas feed pipe to lift away the burner. I blew theough the burner and it seemed OK. I took the burner unit into the house where there was better light intending to ensure there was no blockage of the jet. I sat down in my upstairs "shack" and blwe through the burner unit to find almost no resistance whatsoever. I looked at the hole in the burner unit and it no longer had a jet. Ah Ah! I back tracked to the garage without success. i growled at the Mrs and dispatched her in a search mission also. I returned to my shack and sat down. I looked down, there was the jet! I stoood down the Mrs.

The jet is a small stainless steel pressed cupped disk afair held in place by the gas feed pipe. I poked a small pipce of copper wire theough the jet. There was initially some resistance but then there was none. I waggled the wire about a bit to make sure.

I then reversed all steps and put the fridge on test on gas in the garage, a nice medium sized blue flame. And BINGO it works. Back into the van and guess what IT WORKS.

Its quite amazing that although one knows there is very little to go wrong in an absorbtion type fridge just how easy it is to loose confidence in it. Its also obvious that the threat of spending £650 on a replacement galvanises one to look a bit deeper!

Thats the end of the tale. Hope it gives you some confidence to have a go.

C.

Guest starspirit

Clive, whilst I value your expertise, I was once told by a refrigeration geezer NEVER to poke a piece of wire through a gas jet as it is a precision hole and can be completely bu##ered up by a piece of even soft copper wire?

Not that I took any notice and it is still my usual form of cure, but the purists on here might think otherwise!

But my favourite cure is to carry a spare jet thus virtually guaranteeing compliance with Soddes Law that it will never give trouble

Mick, before you do anything does the fridge work at all on any power supply (12 Volt, Gas, mains)? Or will it not work at all on any of them? If it works on mains and 12 Volt but not gas then I'd say you most likely have a blocked gas jet. If however it doesn't work on any of them then unless the 12 Volt control circuit is stuffed I'd say the whole fridge is stuffed.

D.

Guest starspirit
davenewell@home - 2007-10-09 8:33 PM

My current avatar is a picture of my business neighbour's Bull Mastiff Bitch. I've never known a lazier dog! (lol) She is a bit cute though :-) .

D.

And a bl##dy good guard dog too I wouldn't wonder Dave?

davenewell@home - 2007-10-09 7:53 PM

Mick, before you do anything does the fridge work at all on any power supply (12 Volt, Gas, mains)? Or will it not work at all on any of them? If it works on mains and 12 Volt but not gas then I'd say you most likely have a blocked gas jet. If however it doesn't work on any of them then unless the 12 Volt control circuit is stuffed I'd say the whole fridge is stuffed.

D.

Works on battery on the road,Havnt tried electric yet,but that means the gas is still in there so worth changing the jet for six quid.Anything else I should know.

Mick H.

Clive - 2007-10-09 2:33 PM

Let me tell you a story!

Had a nice long week end in the New Forest - apart for that the Fridge did not work. No hookup so it was reliant on gas. It all seemed perfect just 2 weeks previously. The Saturday night steak was a little "well hung" but cooked OK and ate well and we had no ill effects afterwards. But why?. The electronic ignition worked as it should, hold the button if for 20 seconds for the sensor to warm up and it remained lit.

On return home I removed the outside vent covers, the fridge door, the 4 plastic plugs, 2 each side inside the fridge and removed the 4 screws securing the fridge to the enclosure and eased it out part way. I then after noting all the positions of the wire colours disconnected the 4 X DC wires, three X AC wires, turned OFF the gas and disconnected the gas pipe. The fridge was then removed and re-installed on a table in the garage. I connected it up to another gas bottle with another regulator and ran it for 2 hours, same result, tepid ice box only. I researched a replacement fridge which was nearly £900 from Autotrail or £450 from an internet outlet. I phoned Dometic who suggested an alternative fridge vendor who I emailed. They responded within 30 minutes (on a Sunday) and I eventually spoke to them who suggested that I replace my old fridge with the latest model from Dometic as my model had not been made for over 4 years and any warranty that I may be offered would not have a Dometic support. I connected another mains cable and ran it off the mains for 2 hours. BINGO it works OK, ice in ice box.

I removed the three screws and the cover off the burner unit. I connected a temporary gas pipe to the feed pipe for the burner unit and light the gas. The flame was a nice little blue one. Two hours later the ice box was wet and tepid. I undid one screw and lowered the gas burner, undid a clamping screw and removed the flame sensor and spark head, finally undooing the gas feed pipe to lift away the burner. I blew theough the burner and it seemed OK. I took the burner unit into the house where there was better light intending to ensure there was no blockage of the jet. I sat down in my upstairs "shack" and blwe through the burner unit to find almost no resistance whatsoever. I looked at the hole in the burner unit and it no longer had a jet. Ah Ah! I back tracked to the garage without success. i growled at the Mrs and dispatched her in a search mission also. I returned to my shack and sat down. I looked down, there was the jet! I stoood down the Mrs.

The jet is a small stainless steel pressed cupped disk afair held in place by the gas feed pipe. I poked a small pipce of copper wire theough the jet. There was initially some resistance but then there was none. I waggled the wire about a bit to make sure.

I then reversed all steps and put the fridge on test on gas in the garage, a nice medium sized blue flame. And BINGO it works. Back into the van and guess what IT WORKS.

Its quite amazing that although one knows there is very little to go wrong in an absorbtion type fridge just how easy it is to loose confidence in it. Its also obvious that the threat of spending £650 on a replacement galvanises one to look a bit deeper!

C.

Thank you Clive,just about to get the toolbox out.Will let you know the outcome.

Mick H.

Hi Clive, stripped the burner down,I think mine must be the original,not complicated in any way.Five screws to undo thats it.The single hole jet seemed ok but the eight hole burner was somewhat clogged.A stiff piece of wire and a bit of a poke,Bingo, left a dish of water in the freeze box, stiff this morning, water,nothing else,before the fringe writers jump in. thanks for your help.

Mick H.

• 3 weeks later...
Clive - 2007-10-09 2:33 PM

Let me tell you a story!

C.

Hi Clive,

have at last got a resut with the fridge burner jet replacement. After taking the whole burner off, which was no problem,three screws and a gas coupling, I cleaned and replaced the unit, much improved but not 100% so decided to replace burner and jet, bingo, the icebox now works on no. 2 setting. Cost of burner and jet £40-00.INC P.P. Plus a half an hour of my time to find the problem and change it . So moral of the story,dont always believe what sales people tell you that it is worn out.

Mick H.

starspirit - 2007-10-09 2:39 PM

Clive, whilst I value your expertise, I was once told by a refrigeration geezer NEVER to poke a piece of wire through a gas jet as it is a precision hole and can be completely bu##ered up by a piece of even soft copper wire?

Not that I took any notice and it is still my usual form of cure, but the purists on here might think otherwise!

But my favourite cure is to carry a spare jet thus virtually guaranteeing compliance with Soddes Law that it will never give trouble

I use a gas lighter refill can to clean jets. The compressed gas blasts through and clears the blockage.

Did "blast" the jet from the pliers once though.....had to carefully sweep the garage floor and sift through the dirt to find it !!

Archived