Engine battery

DEEANDEM

Advice wanted

I have a Hymer B654. By mistake i left the side lights on for a number of days and it has taken a lot of power out of the starter battery. If i put the vehicle on mains hook up will this put a charge into the starter battery.

Derrick

I would think it should but dont quote me on that....I did same thing on my MH when putting a radio in and got the 12v feeds mixed up..the darn thing drained my battery....I hooked her up and the battery rechared...so I would think that the principle would be the same.

Guest caraprof

Mmmm. I'm not sure of that. My own motorhome vehicle battery most certainly charges from the electric hook up (EHU). On my control panel I have a switch which allows me to decide which battery should be charged, either the vehicle or the leisure battery.

I would have thought that most motorhomes, modern ones anyway, will have a system where you can charge the vehicle battery from the EHU.

You can also fit a device which will charge both and keep them topped up whilst on site if you don't have that facility already.

I think that it's called a Battery Master, but I forget who makes it. I'm sure someone will soon leap in with a name!

Guest starspirit

I can't say I would be enamoured at the thought of linking the two batteries with a thin cable and cigar lighter plug even with a 15a fuse.

These thing can get pretty darned hot with that sort of current?

Thank you one and all for your replies.

I put the mains hook up on overnight and i took a look at the information panel this morning and it is showing that both battries are fully charged.

Hymer must have a automatic system for gharging the battery that needs topping up.

Derrick

Archived